Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

How will you vote on Thursday?

How will you vote on Thursday?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote on Thursday?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Green
    • Reform
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/24 at 16:01

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just realised I haven't answered the question yet. 

I'm swapping my vote with someone in Romsey and Southampton North who is going to vote Lib Dem for me, the polls there are currently at around 33% Tory and 31% LD, so hopefully it might make a difference. I will then vote Labour in my constituency, Harborough, for them. No point me voting Lib Dem there, and there's no point the person I'm swapping with voting Labour in their constituency.

Out of interest, is this arranged with someone you know? 

I'm a Lib Dem member, whose best option to prevent a Conservative MP is to vote Labour. Would love to do the same as you. 

1 minute ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Out of interest, is this arranged with someone you know? 

I'm a Lib Dem member, whose best option to prevent a Conservative MP is to vote Labour. Would love to do the same as you. 

It's with https://www.swapmyvote.uk/ 

Incredibly easy to use, and you can check the likelihood of your vote making a difference within the constituency of the person you agree to swap with before you choose. 

I had a couple of people offer to swap with me, I'd agreed to vote Labour in Harborough if someone would vote Lib Dem for me, and some of the offers I received were for pretty safe LD seats anyway, I chose someone who lives somewhere where the Tory/LD vote is pretty close in the hope it will help get the LD candidate over the line. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I might be wrong but I think he can, he's just chosen not to. Someone should start a poll, my money would be on him voting Lib Dem depending on his constituency. I genuinely don't know any historical Tory voters who will be going the same way this time. Apart from my mother possibly, and maybe @Bellend Sebastian's inlaws. All DM readers, obvs.

I think both my in-laws and parents will still vote Conservative. I've met a few lifelong Tory voters that just cannot bring themselves to give them their vote this time round, some I think will vote Lib Dem and some almost seem to be convincing themselves that they can vote Labour. 

I don't think anyone in my family will do anything different though - my parents pretty much see the Tory party and government as the same thing - if someone else gets in, it's a sign of societal collapse, a disruption to the normal order of things. However dreadful they are, anything else is inevitably worse.

My father in law probably likes Reform's messaging (I imagine my folks are intrigued but will ultimately find Farage just too common) but ultimately, like my parents, will do what the Daily Mail says. That says, if The Sun comes out for Labour (I don't think they have, although I've not been paying attention) it will blow his mind as he frequently buys The Sun and The Daily Mail

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I've done a vote swap. The party I want can't win here, but the party someone else wants can beat the tories here, so I am trusting they vote for who I want and vice versa. 

Anyone interested, give it a go. https://www.swapmyvote.uk/ 

I've followed the link and read the premise but I still don't understand.

It feels a bit... undemocratic?

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Is there a reason it is not?

I don't understand it tbh.

So, say I want Labour to win in Market Bosworth but I know it's going to Tory. Then by swapping my vote with someone (a Labour voter in a Tory majority constituency) a Labour candidate will have my swappers vote here, and a Tory voter will have my vote in their constituency?

:dunno:

Edited by Parafox

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I don't understand it tbh

My constituency is Harborough. It's tipped to go red, and I want to vote Lib Dem, the LD's will be a trailing 3rd in Harborough, so ultimately a wasted vote. I've swapped my vote with someone who lives in a very tight Tory/Lib Dem seat, and they will vote LD for me, in the hope it gets the LD candidate over the line.

The person I have swapped with wants to vote Labour, but it would be a wasted vote in their constituency, so I will vote Labour in Harborough, and that will therefore help to get the Labour candidate in. It's a great way to make your vote count when we are constricted by constituencies where our votes wouldn't otherwise count.

Edited by FoxesDeb
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've followed the link and read the premise but I still don't understand.

It feels a bit... undemocratic?

Out of interest, what makes you believe it's undemocratic? 

I'm wondering if the Tories might have a slight uptick in the marginals, almost out of pity, and save them some seats. 

Surely some long term Tory voters will think, I can't desert them now. 

On a other note, how the hell do other long term Tory voters think, ya know what,.I'm gonna vote Labour? What on earth can create such a volte face? It can't be policy. Labour haven't got any. Just been Ming vase all campaign 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 11:59, pSinatra said:

image.png.5b880acff8849cfacdd13e81a13bb529.png

I have seen it mentioned that Leicestershire South is still a Tory safe seat (if such a thing exists) & that voting would be a waste of time.

I haven't always voted, as I couldn't be arsed & "the Tories always win anyway".

I'm not sure how accurate this prediction is but, I'm not going to waste this chance to vote the bastards out

Where is this data from please?  I checked a few weeks back and the predictor that first gave Labour that huge win overall gave a 1% split in favour of Labour to win here.

I really don't see Costa losing here.  I'd love it if he did, but I still can't see it happening.

The boundaries have changed as well and includes more Tory voting areas (old Harborough district) than last time.  Costa is canvassing the villages predominantly in the south of the county and hasn't ventured too far towards the outskirts of the city.  As expected, I haven't seen him or anyone else for that matter.  Just a fair few Lib Dem wooden signs here and there dotting the local landscape lol

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm wondering if the Tories might have a slight uptick in the marginals, almost out of pity, and save them some seats. 

On a other note, how the hell do other long term Tory voters think, ya know what,.I'm gonna vote Labour? What on earth can create such a volte face? It can't be policy. Labour haven't got any. Just been Ming vase all campaign 

I'm also not sure that as many people are going to switch from Tory to Labour as is thought, but I guess we will find out. My guess is that the split will be more even between the Lib Dems, Reform, Labour and the die hards who can't tear themselves away from their traditional vote.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Costa is canvassing the villages predominantly in the south of the county and hasn't ventured too far towards the outskirts of the city.

They never have. Oadby has always been lumbered with the wax jacket and wellies brigade. The constituency is in no way representative. 

Oadby + Wigston + Blaby is a much more natural and representative suburban constituency 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

Out of interest, what makes you believe it's undemocratic? 

I didn't say I "believe" it's undemocratic. I said it "feels" undemocratic because I didn't fully understand vote swapping.

Thankfully,  @FoxesDeb explained it and now I get it.

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

MattP must be gutted that he can't post in these threads..:whistle:

on Thursday I hope he, Geoff and Rod Hull join us like Yoda, Obi Wan and Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

on Thursday I hope he, Geoff and Rod Hull join us like Yoda, Obi Wan and Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi

Original Anakin looks nailed on Reform voter. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Original Anakin looks nailed on Reform voter. 

Yoda's Green, obviously.

Obi Wan is an old posh guy who wants to live in a desert with no discernable infrastructure, so Lib Dem.

Edited by bovril
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Try reading their manifesto. It's full of great ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

On that note. Noticed reading in the French election today that they have a set number of seats for Brits who live abroad. 

I know we have a 17th century voting system but it seems bizarre to me we don’t have that. Having to vote in a constituency you haven’t lived for years seems odd.

Not to mention the issues which are more important to Brits living abroad are naturally going to be different to those of people living in the UK, it makes sense to give them their own seats proportional to the number of people on the overseas voting register. 

Democracy is a bit it a myth in this country. No one used first past the post anymore.

Quite stuck for my choice, will be Hinckley & Bosworth and I cannot tell if it’s Lib Dems or Labour more likely to win here. Traditionally been a Lib Dem hotbed (council has been split between them and the Conservatives for years) and they were the historic second runners in GEs in a seat that’s been Conservatives since 1970. However in recent years Labour seem to have overtaken them, but hard to tell if that wasn’t 2019 polarisation. 

I have my personal reasons to vote Lib Dem (even if I want Labour as the party of government) so I’ll probably go them, it’s frustrating that its not clear who is the best option.

40 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yoda's Green, obviously.

Obi Wan is an old posh guy who wants to live in a desert with no discernable infrastructure, so Lib Dem.

I forgot all about I Am Rod Hull, some guy.

Just now, bovril said:

That dude ruined TMWRNJ for me

I was almost confused by how his username was from a character in sketch show from one of the most lefty comedians around.

24 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Quite stuck for my choice, will be Hinckley & Bosworth and I cannot tell if it’s Lib Dems or Labour more likely to win here. Traditionally been a Lib Dem hotbed (council has been split between them and the Conservatives for years) and they were the historic second runners in GEs in a seat that’s been Conservatives since 1970. However in recent years Labour seem to have overtaken them, but hard to tell if that wasn’t 2019 polarisation. 

I have my personal reasons to vote Lib Dem (even if I want Labour as the party of government) so I’ll probably go them, it’s frustrating that its not clear who is the best option.

I’m in the same boat in the same constituency. It seems to be a bit of a toss up between them, stopthetories.vote is recommending Lib Dem so I’m going to go with that. 

• Like 1