Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

England v Switzerland - Saturday 6 July

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just heard Bellingham say that tonight’s win ‘wasn’t about individual moments’, it was the usual tripe about it being ‘a team performance’ etc

All the usual cobblers that has become the epitome of modern sport.

Bollox Jude! It WAS about an individual moment! In this case, you scoring the equaliser.

Why has this country become so anti-competition that we can’t praise individuals anymore?

What he could have said (honestly) was that we were fookin lucky to go through and that his was a beautiful strike of the ball, thank God 

Do you really know nothing of building a positive and cohesive team? 

Do you not understand why “the usual tripe” about team performances is consistently drilled into players of any team sport? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Because he's not selfish and it just may not be in his nature to be. Why hate on him? 

If anything, the problem with people these days is always finding a way to bring someone down... 

I'll tell you how you earn respect:

Bellingham - "We didn't play well. We didn't play as a team. We were lucky to equalise because of an individual moment of brilliance. We need to improve". 

This should have been his honest post match comment. 

58 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Not sure they're all that tbh. Bit of a meh team and a meh nation.

But their flags a big plus :thumbup:

A meh nation?

Have you been? It's one of the cleanest most beautiful places on earth! Bit expensive!

They seem pretty decent, comprehensively better than Italy.

You do start to wonder if this is going to be a mastery in shithousery. Amazing what happens in football if you try to attack the opposition goal. I'm sure if we just went attack attack we'd beat most, it's just do negative. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Bellingham - "We didn't play well. We didn't play as a team. We were lucky to equalise because of an individual moment of brilliance. We need to improve". 

Then it's: "Bellingham slates team-mates attitude and thinks England were lucky" as a derogation in tomorrow's headlines and among elements of the England fanbase anyway.

Truth is that he's going to catch flak no matter what he says based on the performance and I wouldn't agree that an "honest" response would be the route of most positive outcome for the team in any case, much less that those selfsame elements of the fanbase would be reasonable enough as a bloc to accept it at face value in any case. Frankly, they're not that reasonable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Because he's not selfish and it just may not be in his nature to be. Why hate on him? 

If anything, the problem with people these days is always finding a way to bring someone down... 

Sadly, if the current societal environment is anything to go by, toxic self-interest is making a big comeback - if it ever went away.

15 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Markedly different to what was suggested, but I still don't think it would have been sensible to even say this. 

Think a lot will depend on how well Xhaka plays, he’s been controlling games with ease in this tournament. 

If we can stifle that control and make him have an off game, we’ll win. 

• Like 2

Its looking like Southgate is happy to stick with the same set of players, Southgate think its his tactical master plan, while overall it's just been luck against weaker opposition. We use this tactics against a Switzerland and they will undo very quickly as we seen against Italy.

Just feel we could unleash hell if we wanted but Southgate won't let this happen. 

25 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

A meh nation?

Have you been? It's one of the cleanest most beautiful places on earth! Bit expensive!

Think you should try reading the post again. 

The first part is a setup for the second part.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Imagine if Southgate scrape by these and finds himself in the semi final of a major tournament again. The luckiest man in football.

Switzerland are far better than Slovakia btw.

Well at least I haven't had to scroll through loads of posts before someone has already said exactly what I was going to say lol

12 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Think a lot will depend on how well Xhaka plays, he’s been controlling games with ease in this tournament. 

If we can stifle that control and make him have an off game, we’ll win. 

He won't do it, but having someone man-mark him throughout wouldn't be the worst idea. As depressing as it sounds, I don't think we can out play the Swiss based on their patterns of play and performances so far. But if Gallagher was deployed just to deal with Xhaka throughout the game, you could stop them get going and then rely on better individual quality to try and scrape by.

Murat Yakin was interviewed after the Italy match and said very confidently "I knew if Italy turned up with a back 4 we would destroy them," and they did. The Swiss were minutes away from beating Germany and though they drew with Scotland, they should have won that game easily.

England are fortunate though in that they could still win the whole thing just by relying on individual brilliance. Though I think Spain would absolutely smoke them.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Then it's: "Bellingham slates team-mates attitude and thinks England were lucky" as a derogation in tomorrow's headlines and among elements of the England fanbase anyway.

Truth is that he's going to catch flak no matter what he says based on the performance and I wouldn't agree that an "honest" response would be the route of most positive outcome for the team in any case, much less that those selfsame elements of the fanbase would be reasonable enough as a bloc to accept it at face value in any case. Frankly, they're not that reasonable.

This is the problem, of course.

You can’t be honest IF it goes against what you ‘should’ be saying or if it goes against the status quo. 
It’s worse amongst the kids too, who have unfortunately become indoctrinated in bull-shit. You read it on here quite often.

I would have so much more respect for Bellingham if he’d have been HONEST and said that we didn’t play at all well tonight as a team, and that if he hadn’t pulled that worldie out the bag we’d be going home.

But he can’t, because he knows that the media will use it against the team and Southgate.

It’s all propaganda really and this stuff will be even worse when Labour get elected.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You can’t be honest IF it goes against what you ‘should’ be saying or if it goes against the status quo. 
It’s worse amongst the kids too, who have unfortunately become indoctrinated in bull-shit. You read it on here quite often.

I would have so much more respect for Bellingham if he’d have been HONEST and said that we didn’t play at all well tonight as a team, and that if he hadn’t pulled that worldie out the bag we’d be going home.

But he can’t, because he knows that the media will use it against the team and Southgate.

It’s all propaganda really and this stuff will be even worse when Labour get elected.

Blame the media then not the individuals. 

Guest Col city fan
50 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Do you really know nothing of building a positive and cohesive team? 

Do you not understand why “the usual tripe” about team performances is consistently drilled into players of any team sport? 

It’s not working very well in Broken Britain is it ffs!

You CAN build teams and be honest and be competitive and give people a bollocking if they deserved it you know.

But you CANT in the modern UK.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I agree that the media is culpable for that, but frankly, as I've implied before, I'd also implicate the aforementioned members of the fanbase who I wholly believe won't be reasonable enough to give manager and team a pass based on honesty - or even if they do feel their self-interest is satisfied, might not consider the idea such honesty may harm the team more than help it.

That's just chewing the fat on my part, though.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s not working very well in Broken Britain is it ffs!

You CAN build teams and be honest and be competitive and give people a bollocking if they deserved it you know.

But you CANT in the modern UK.

They might get a bollocking behind the scenes and Bellingham might be saying I've saved us there lads, probably doesn't go down well if you throw everyone under a bus to the media though.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You're thinking way too much about it mate

• Like 1