Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

England v Switzerland - Saturday 6 July

Guest Col city fan
Posted (edited)

It’s really confusing.

As an English man, and England fan, the chance of us finally breaking the hoodoo of last winning a tourno in 66, is grand.

But I don’t feel like that at all. It’s like we’ve shit-housed our way to the semis and that Southgate is one lucky mother, who probably played for penalties.

To get to the semis playing this way isn’t how I imagined England finally possibly winning another tournament.

I can’t help thinking back to 1996 too, which had SUCH a different feel to it. England started that tournament off terribly but then improved to go on to blast the opposition out of the water. There was a build-up to a crescendo and even though we lost in the end to Germany, the players could hold their heads high.

This feels miles away from that. Everyone in the pub this evening is saying pretty much the same thing. Ie that Southgate is an incredibly lucky fooker.

Again, IF we win this thing, I’ll not look back on his managerial style nor his tactics with any fondness. Itll be won despite him, not because of him.

Unfortunately, Britain being Britain, he’ll be held up like some kind of Saint if we do.

Edited by Col city fan

We have shit housed are way to the semis. But we all seen Portugal and Italy do it and win. I won’t care if we win it but it’s a hard watch. We all got to except that this is how he and the team are going to play. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Southgate may be lucky, but thought he had today nearly spot on and has actually progressed England in general.

The penalty situation today must've massively psychologically boosted him and his players - after many, many years of failures from the spot.

Don't think there's a 'ceiling' now.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s really confusing.

As an English man, and England fan, the chance of us finally breaking the hoodoo of last winning a tourno in 66, is grand.

But I don’t feel like that at all. It’s like we’ve shit-housed our way to the semis and that Southgate is one lucky mother, who probably played for penalties.

To get to the semis playing this way isn’t how I imagined England finally possibly winning another tournament.

I can’t help thinking back to 1996 too, which had SUCH a different feel to it. England started that tournament off terribly but then improved to go on to blast the opposition out of the water. There was a build-up to a crescendo and even though we lost in the end to Germany, the players could hold their heads high.

This feels miles away from that. Everyone in the pub this evening is saying pretty much the same thing. Ie that Southgate is an incredibly lucky fooker.

Again, IF we win this thing, I’ll not look back on his managerial style nor his tactics with any fondness. Itll be won despite him, not because of him.

Unfortunately, Britain being Britain, he’ll be held up like some kind of Saint if we do.

England played well v Netherlands but then went very average against Spain. Group stages weren’t great as you say. Germany okay. 1996 very similar to 1990 in that respect. 

Probably outside Spain and the Xavi inspired side, I think in international competition football you struggle to find a team what didn’t shithouse at some point. 

Not that this is a defence of Southgate cos he completely ****ed up that second half until individual brilliance saved him 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

It will be a travesty if we win, playing like that. 

You just know it's going to be a France - England final. 0-0 and decided on penalties.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

Sometimes Twitter is still great 

20240706_204651.jpg.e2a89d28187460e87d3b96df04ede444.jpg

I love how Toney takes pens, same when he takes them for Brentford. None of this stuttering nonsense, few steps and place it.just as effective. Dycye would love it as an alternative to whacking it.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Southgate may be lucky, but thought he had today nearly spot on and has actually progressed England in general.

The penalty situation today must've massively psychologically boosted him and his players - after many, many years of failures from the spot.

Don't think there's a 'ceiling' now.

He didn’t change anything we pressed better and had a good first half, second half we was dreadful and he was forced into 3 subs with little time left when they scored.

penos where good but not really down to him I agree though there should be no ceiling now we have had 2 moments of quality which saved us other than that we have been terrible as the manger has changed nothing.

we should be bearing these teams with the amount of quality players we have available.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

England played well v Netherlands but then went very average against Spain. Group stages weren’t great as you say. Germany okay. 1996 very similar to 1990 in that respect. 

Probably outside Spain and the Xavi inspired side, I think in international competition football you struggle to find a team what didn’t shithouse at some point. 

Not that this is a defence of Southgate cos he completely ****ed up that second half until individual brilliance saved him 

Most of the tournaments we remember fondly only featured one or two genuinely good performances. In both 1990 and 1996 a certain mood gripped the nation - I think it’s that which we remember rather than the quality of the football. 1966 was probably similar (apparently we weren’t great often in that tournament either). The only difference this time around is that we’ve reached the semi-final without a single genuinely inspiring performance. But we’re looking at least as resilient as we did in 1990 and 1996, and possibly more so. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

To be fair, I actually think despite being dreadfully boring, Southgate’s approach will likely work. 

I don’t think England will be beaten in open play, unless a team aims to put the game out of sight. Defensively, not many chances are being given up and teams are being reduced to a walking pace due to the pace of England’s game. 

I think they make the final, but it is likely to be England V France, two similar styles and there’s no was France play any differently, it is then Southgate takes the breaks off and goes to an all out attacking display. 

I would say it’s England’s tournament to lose now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

To be fair, I actually think despite being dreadfully boring, Southgate’s approach will likely work. 

I don’t think England will be beaten in open play, unless a team aims to put the game out of sight. Defensively, not many chances are being given up and teams are being reduced to a walking pace due to the pace of England’s game. 

I think they make the final, but it is likely to be England V France, two similar styles and there’s no was France play any differently, it is then Southgate takes the breaks off and goes to an all out attacking display. 

I would say it’s England’s tournament to lose now. 

We’ve played Serbia, Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland (won 1, drawn 4). Apart from Denmark (arguably) none of them have any creative players or world class finishers whatsoever. Even Cody Gakpo is going to be a massive step up.

Likewise if Spain can play the game they’ve been playing, they will be too good for France and will win the thing. 

• Like 2