Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guesty

Caleb Okoli

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

It's all relative, Okoli is considered to be a £6mil player, so we aren't paying a modest fee at £11mil, we are overpaying significantly.

This kind of business is the reason we are in this whole PSR situation, it's fine taking a risk on a young player, but due to us overpaying if he doesn't work out we won't be able to sell him and break even on FFP. We complain about Serie A and La Liga clubs taking us for a ride on transfer values for Praet, Kristiansen etc but this is natural result of us almost spending double what they are worth in the first place.

Paying double the value of a player is never smart transfer business, we are taking a big risk and if that risk doesn't work out then we will be stuck with him running down his value on loan/on the bench alongside Soumare, Souttar, Coady etc.

11m was including addons, so unless we know the structure and addons, its hard to be to critical.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

11m was including addons, so unless we know the structure and addons, its hard to be to critical.

That's more reasonable to be fair, if it's £8m plus addons then you could argue that the extra £2m is just PL tax. Hopefully it's not appearance based addons though because they incentivise not playing him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

It's all relative, Okoli is considered to be a £6mil player, so we aren't paying a modest fee at £11mil, we are overpaying significantly.

This kind of business is the reason we are in this whole PSR situation, it's fine taking a risk on a young player, but due to us overpaying if he doesn't work out we won't be able to sell him and break even on FFP. We complain about Serie A and La Liga clubs taking us for a ride on transfer values for Praet, Kristiansen etc but this is natural result of us almost spending double what they are worth in the first place.

Paying double the value of a player is never smart transfer business, we are taking a big risk and if that risk doesn't work out then we will be stuck with him running down his value on loan/on the bench alongside Soumare, Souttar, Coady etc.

Considered by whom?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Considered by whom?

Atalanta fans, they said they were expecting £5-6 mil for him from a Serie A club and were surprised that we spent £11mil on him. If we were to sell him after an average/poor year we would be looking at a £4-5mil sale. As mentioned above though the fee including addons that may not be hit makes it more reasonable.

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

When forest beat us 2-0 at their place their centre backs were Worrall and McKenna ffs.

A good coach/manager can get performances out of players. Let’s trust the team that have been watching this chap as he must have qualities that we’re looking for with potential to improve 

On the flip side though we've had many one off results with honking players so it takes a bit more than that to get consistency out of players with fundamental weaknesses.

This signing on the face of it just seems a but odd. I don't know much about him so I will absolutely reserve judgement in his ability here. But when we already have 5 CBs, one of which is our future in Ben Nelson.

Any addition I'd expect to be a logical addition. They'd be left footed, comfortable on the ball and they'd be very quick. He's neither of those things, he appears adept to playing LCB but right footed (not ideal but ok) and his passing stats look very mediocre (can be swayed by the team and system - he was at a relegated team). Pace wise he seems nothing more than above average.

Got to trust the process on this one it seems.

Surely one of Faes, Coady or Souttar are off then. 

• Like 1

Interesting to know where he's come from in terms of scouting or I guess it depends on how he turns out - good it was Glover/shit it was Rudkin/Cooper

Most likely just an agent recommendation though :unsure:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Most likely just an agent recommendation though :unsure:

Of course we could be totally wrong, but I was thinking the exact same thing. It’s a little bit strange that he comes from the same agency as Cooper. If you also look at that agency, they have a couple of players that Cooper had at Forest. 

I wouldn’t be that surprised if a couple more CAA Base players follow Okoli through the door. We’ve seen similar things happen with CAA Stellar and especially Wasserman. 

44 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Atalanta fans, they said they were expecting £5-6 mil for him from a Serie A club and were surprised that we spent £11mil on him. If we were to sell him after an average/poor year we would be looking at a £4-5mil sale. As mentioned above though the fee including addons that may not be hit makes it more reasonable.

In my opinion it’s another example where again we under sell and over pay. Personally,  Seems like every single transfer we do we are on the wrong side of and deep like we have to convince our selves it’s ok. Why can’t we just have a transfer dealing where we actually feel we have got a good deal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

We are probably paying around that figure with add on like survival, games played etc pushing up to the 12m mark.

4 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

He also said we were getting Potter. Whilst this is likely true, I’ll believe it when the club announce it.

True, but there aren't any as well informed and connected as him.

He's right on the majority of things but as we all know, anything can happen last minute to change things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

Overpayed again! Someone in our negotiating team needs sacking.   

You really believe everything Romano says, his information has been rubbish all summer......

43 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

All we know is the fee quoted is 15m euros which equates to £12.7m. We don’t know the structure of the deal in terms of how much of that fee is guaranteed and the proportion of it that is linked to performance related add ons.  I would be amazed if the structure of the deal is purely an up front fee. 

59 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

Can't make that judgement yet. 

He's not kicked a ball for us at all.

If he makes the team of the season, have we overpaid?

36 minutes ago, ts_1010 said:

My only complaint is that I'd rather us sign Greaves from Hull. 

He would probably be £5m more, but he's a tall ball playing left footed cb. And he's English so after a year in the prem his value will double if we need to sell.

Greaves would be perfect.

Really hope we haven’t gone for this lad just because he has the same agent as Cooper:facepalm:.

On 05/07/2024 at 09:46, Ric Flair said:

On the flip side though we've had many one off results with honking players so it takes a bit more than that to get consistency out of players with fundamental weaknesses.

This signing on the face of it just seems a but odd. I don't know much about him so I will absolutely reserve judgement in his ability here. But when we already have 5 CBs, one of which is our future in Ben Nelson.

Any addition I'd expect to be a logical addition. They'd be left footed, comfortable on the ball and they'd be very quick. He's neither of those things, he appears adept to playing LCB but right footed (not ideal but ok) and his passing stats look very mediocre (can be swayed by the team and system - he was at a relegated team). Pace wise he seems nothing more than above average.

Got to trust the process on this one it seems.

Surely one of Faes, Coady or Souttar are off then. 

I think that we would all agree with the bit in bold above, but those kind of CBs are rare and expensive. Van de Ven cost Spurs £35m, for example.