Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Bobby De Cordova-Reid

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, lcfcbobby said:

Be an upgrade on that waste of £25m Kelechi Iheanacho! So a squad improvement already! 

Is he still set to go to Villa?

Edited by Wymsey

Is it BDCR or BDR?

I mean, now we’ve lost KDH, we have to get these things right…

i like the extra ‘C’ personally… more exotic 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

31. Never been a good finisher. Works hard and runs around a lot. Marc Albrighton replacement for depth? Hardly the most inspiring signing. Don't mind him on a free, but I bet we're massively overpaying on wages and have probably offered him 3 years instead of 1 or 2.

But he is a free ,good deal if you ask me 

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

That's good.

What are you expecting, Harry Kane?

I'd sooner give Cannon a go. If at 31yrs he can't be a regular at Fulham why would he be good enough for us? Though I do get he's a utility player. But ... up front and in midfield we need first teamers not aged bench warming squad players.

2 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

i thought more of a left winger and sometimes in the middle? 

I just think it's imperative, when we're either short of money or can't spend much money, that we sign first teamers and not a plethora of squad players. Arguably we've already got enough of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest said:

He didn't play a single game down the middle for them last season

In which case, after Fatawu and Mavididi, haven't we already got enough squad players particularly if we adapt formations to changing situations. Arguably one of the reasons we're in the mess we are is because we've been paying high salaries to mere bench warmers.

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

I just think it's imperative, when we're either short of money or can't spend much money, that we sign first teamers and not a plethora of squad players. Arguably we've already got enough of them.

Firstly, I’m not over the moon about this myself.

But…

We have two very good wingers. We have three strikers - one or two may go.

We need cover out wide. We don’t need to replace our wingers with better because they are good and the money is best spent elsewhere.

We don’t have any 10’s.

Bobby can potentially play all of the above if required. So for versatility and cost it does make sense.

I would have rather we have gone a different route, but I completely see the logic in this so can’t really hate on it. We are short of players and don’t have much money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slymunn said:

One played probably twice the amount or minutes in a title winning team. 

One was a fringe player in a mid table team but scored more league goals, a division above. 

Let's not put shade on Reid having a pretty decent record for a squad player in our current position.

But the first one has huge scope to improve, is ambitious and can potentially be a future money earner for us.

This one at 31yrs, already can't hold down a first team place, is not going to improve and has the potential to go down hill rapidly like Bertrand. 

But the first one has huge scope to improve, is ambitious and can potentially be a future money earner for us.

This one at 31yrs, already can't hold down a first team place, is not going to improve and has the potential to go down hill rapidly like Bertrand. 

And that's why we're paying 17mill for one and nothing for the other.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

No, I'm thinking we desperately need a starting striker and 2 starting level CMs to be competitive. Let's hope that we have enough funds available to pay wages and fees for those after filling out the squad with back up players. 

Yeah, we do. Doesn't change the fact that we still need back up players and one who can play 6 positions and has no transfer fee attached to him makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Every signing has the potential to go downhill, or be a positive impact on the squad and future money earner. 

But I get you don't like this signing so let's leave it at this 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cropwellfox said:

Absolutely this. So many of our fans are entitled beyond belief. We’ve been promoted without a pot to piss in and we’ve managed to get in a lad who’s been popular at Fulham and played loads of prem football on a free ahead of other prem teams, but that’s not good enough. Utterly bizarre 

We beat AC Milan, Monaco & Arsenal to the signing of Bertrand……

• Haha 2

I agree that there are higher priority positions to fill. But just because we signed this guy first doesn't mean we think he was the top priority to sign.

Free agents are a relatively simple deal to do. And he was in demand from other clubs. We could be in talks with other targets such as cm and a striker. But they will take longer and have more parties involved.

We have two very good wingers, one with a lot of potential, and that’s it. Neither have played in the premier league before, who knows how they will adjust. McAteer wasn’t good enough overall last season, I don’t see him as a viable option out wide in the premier league. It’s a lot to expect Alves to come in to a premier league campaign and play wide or as a ten, with no first team experience and coming back off of an awful injury. 

I get that this isn’t a ‘sexy’ signing that will get pulses racing, but comments such as why is he good enough for us when he isn’t a regular at Fulham just baffle me. Fulham are what we need to be aiming to be again - an established premier league club. They’ve been decent in the transfer market, and sold high. Reid may not have started every week, but he has often been a threat and works his socks off. If he can create competition for Mavididi and Fatawu, I’m all for it. We didn’t have enough grafters last time around, we’re going to need all hands on deck this season. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

In which case, after Fatawu and Mavididi, haven't we already got enough squad players particularly if we adapt formations to changing situations. Arguably one of the reasons we're in the mess we are is because we've been paying high salaries to mere bench warmers.

Not really, no. At the moment if one or both of those are injured then we're looking at McAteer, who you've said you wouldn't even have in the squad, and Marcal, who has a handful of cup and Championship games to his name - besides which, if you want the ability to adapt formations depending on who we've got available, why wouldn't you want a player with a very good injury record who can play four or five positions to a decent standard?

We need to strengthen in quite a lot of areas if we have any ambition whatsoever of being competitive, and if we operate under the assumption that we also need to spent as little as we reasonably can in the process, deals like this make sense. He only ever signed one contract for Fulham which was when they were in the Championship so even accounting for promotion rises and such I think it's pretty improbable he's going to be on mega bucks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dooflip said:

Firstly, I’m not over the moon about this myself.

But…

We have two very good wingers. We have three strikers - one or two may go.

We need cover out wide. We don’t need to replace our wingers with better because they are good and the money is best spent elsewhere.

We don’t have any 10’s.

Bobby can potentially play all of the above if required. So for versatility and cost it does make sense.

I would have rather we have gone a different route, but I completely see the logic in this so can’t really hate on it. We are short of players and don’t have much money.

I wouldn't bother arguing the point. I'm sure a lot of people would expect Abdul to play every game, every cup game and then play again when he's injured.

We don't have any cover for the wingers and for free makes sense. If we spent money then yes we can argue. Very good signing in my opinion for where we're at right now. Premier league experience, does work hard, good injury record and is for free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are not going to be able to spend loads on transfers the next few windows I imagine so making use of free signings is something we need to do. Might not be the superstar we all want but this season is all about staying up and then try and build on that . He could be a good squad player to have around and use what money we have to get players in other positions we need 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JimJams said:

And that's why we're paying 17mill for one and nothing for the other.

But we've paid millions to bench warmers that have been mediocre, that's a big part of the problem. Get first teamers first, throughout the positions, then add the squad padding afterwards with what left. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

3 hours ago, Guest said:

Not really, no. At the moment if one or both of those are injured then we're looking at McAteer, who you've said you wouldn't even have in the squad, and Marcal, who has a handful of cup and Championship games to his name - besides which, if you want the ability to adapt formations depending on who we've got available, why wouldn't you want a player with a very good injury record who can play four or five positions to a decent standard?

We need to strengthen in quite a lot of areas if we have any ambition whatsoever of being competitive, and if we operate under the assumption that we also need to spent as little as we reasonably can in the process, deals like this make sense. He only ever signed one contract for Fulham which was when they were in the Championship so even accounting for promotion rises and such I think it's pretty improbable he's going to be on mega bucks.

My point is is that we haven't even got a decent first team yet. Get those first, then spend on the padding and backups with what's left. A free transfer is not free, it costs millions in wages. We're bloated as it is. 

But we've paid millions to bench warmers that have been mediocre, that's a big part of the problem. Get first teasers first, throughout the positions, then add the squad padding afterwards with what left. 

...and in that scenario we end up with even worse squad players as the ones released by PL clubs have signed somewhere else and we have to make do with the ones released from championship teams etc. 

It doesn't really matter what order we do it in, our needs remain the same and as long as we address them with the best possible players we can... it's 6 and half a dozen.