Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

New Sponsor BC.GAME

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I think that’s true. There will be loads of people who blindly buy the shirts without even knowing who the sponsor is.

Football fans of course represent the wider public ie there will be a proportion who are stupid.

There is so much hypocrisy in the world and, especially in football fanism. The same people who publically have stated they detest gambling will buy the shirt, simply because they want to. The moral compass will vanish when they want it to.

I suspect you may be overestimating the number of people who fit in this category. If the new shirt sells well, it probably won't be because large numbers of people who publicly state they 'detest gambling' suddenly lose their moral compass; it will be because most people who buy the shirt probably won't actually give a shit either way about gambling. There's a difference between hypocrisy and complete indifference.  

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

I suspect you may be overestimating the number of people who fit in this category. If the new shirt sells well, it probably won't be because large numbers of people who publicly state they 'detest gambling' suddenly lose their moral compass; it will be because most people who buy the shirt probably won't actually give a shit either way about gambling. There's a difference between hypocrisy and complete indifference.  

And down to people who just buy a new shirt every year just out of habit. 

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yeah I think that’s a fair point 

18 hours ago, blue army 1988 said:

What and have an obesity crisis!?

You'll have to tear my Walkers MAX Punchy Paprika crisps out of my cold, dead hands :P  Wrong colour for LCFC, though, and I hate cheese & onion, so... :(

On 11/07/2024 at 23:00, Rob1742 said:

Yes I understand after his much publicised gambling addition that he would be against the sponsorship, but his problems were years ago and not caused by shirt sponsorship. If I was him I’d look at what actually caused his issue rather than pointing to something that didn’t cause it.

I do think this is more about protecting the addict. If you are or once was I can see how hard it could be.

Is it nanny state.  I never remember none smokers cueing up for Rothmans, Marlboro or Benson & Hedges after watching a F1 race.

Yes I've just given up smoking and know how hard it is as I've tried before. But this time I really wanted to quit and I have. As with all addictions it's mostly in your head and your own hands to sort it.

As already said you really have to want to stop to stand a chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2024 at 09:20, sylofox said:

I do think this is more about protecting the addict. If you are or once was I can see how hard it could be.

Is it nanny state.  I never remember none smokers cueing up for Rothmans, Marlboro or Benson & Hedges after watching a F1 race.

Yes I've just given up smoking and know how hard it is as I've tried before. But this time I really wanted to quit and I have. As with all addictions it's mostly in your head and your own hands to sort it.

As already said you really have to want to stop to stand a chance.

Why do you think tobacco companies poured billions into sports sponsorship and millions to lawyers to prevent sponsorship bans?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Not excusing the clubs in any way because I think it's shit, but this is the other 14 clubs looking for any way to give themselves more of a chance of competing because of the PSR rules. Really need to change them. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Not excusing the clubs in any way because I think it's shit, but this is the other 14 clubs looking for any way to give themselves more of a chance of competing because of the PSR rules. Really need to change them. 

This is bang on.

There’s no way we would have gone this route if we weren’t f*****d, and we are more so than most of the other 13.

“Desperate men do desperate things” and all that.

For the record, I won’t be buying a shirt. Because it’s an awful shirt. Adidas logo is too big and not a trefoil, sponsor looks awful - kp all day.

• Thanks 1

Really don't see the issue with a gambling company acting as a sponsor. If somebody finds the need to gamble because they read a betting company on a football shirt, then they are going to bet regardless of what triggers it. Blaming a sponsor really is clutching at straws trying to justify their behaviour. Exactly the problem with today's nanny state society, nobody takes responsibility for their own actions - always looking to shift the blame.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Really don't see the issue with a gambling company acting as a sponsor. If somebody finds the need to gamble because they read a betting company on a football shirt, then they are going to bet regardless of what triggers it. Blaming a sponsor really is clutching at straws trying to justify their behaviour. Exactly the problem with today's nanny state society, nobody takes responsibility for their own actions - always looking to shift the blame.

Oh dear. 

Won't be buying a shirt this year. Really fed up with the whole Prem. Quicker the new gov bring in independent regulator to sort out things like this the better...

• Like 2