Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Bobby De Cordova-Reid joins permanently - Official

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Was the video of him answering some questions, and playing Uno really the best the club could do lol looked amateur 

Mentioned it several times over the last decade - we need a serious serious marketing upgrade. The “kit launch” was laughable, look at Spurs and West Ham’s - so much character and clever set design

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 80footgiraffe said:

Mentioned it several times over the last decade - we need a serious serious marketing upgrade. The “kit launch” was laughable, look at Spurs and West Ham’s - so much character and clever set design

Out of interest, what difference does it make how it's 'launched'? Genuine question. I judge it on the actual looks. No one will remember how it was launched next week. Or is this the social media generation thing?

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Out of interest, what difference does it make how it's 'launched'? Genuine question. I judge it on the actual looks. No one will remember how it was launched next week. Or is this the social media generation thing?

think he's just highlighting that a multi million pound business should be doing better at marketing, that it reflects badly on the image of the club overall

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

i take it this lad starts on the left instead of mavididi?

Not really.  He's highly versatile and can play in loads of different positions across the front line.  Ideal rotation player.  

• Like 1

Really encouraging that he’s also been a captain, as has Golding who I believe captained England at some level. Think one thing we’ve missed in recent years is strong characters so he looks a good addition on and off the pitch.

On 06/07/2024 at 17:56, Stadt said:

I’d rather pay him more/ramp up the SO fee than give him 3 years but I’m just negative and should trust our successful hierarchy/recruitment/ability to shift players.

The agent isn't stupid, the reality is you'd pay pretty much exactly the same amount for two years as you would three if that was a discussion. So you may as well have the three years. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The agent isn't stupid, the reality is you'd pay pretty much exactly the same amount for two years as you would three if that was a discussion. So you may as well have the three years. 

Agree on this one, it's still a hangover from our ridiculous wage structure under Rodgers though. To keep players like Hamza and Vestegaard we needed to reduce their wages significantly, so they push for longer deals in return. Those longer deals then set a precedent for deals like this one. 

All in though I think this is probably a tidy signing though. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

They're not stupid obviously but a deal can be struck, there's some give and take. I'd rather limit our liability and pay a slight premium for it (and give an optional finally year extension) than be tied down. Quick players tend to have starker declines. 

An Athletic article which shows take on data for wingers declining pretty rapidly after 30 https://archive.is/QgplP

I like him but he's 31.5 now,

End of 24/25  - 32.5

End of 25/26 - 33.5

End of 26/27 - 34.5

If by 25/26 he's just a bit part player than we'd rather not play we have another Bertrand-esque situation.

If it was a straight up binary choice of 3 years or no deal I think I'd opt for the latter.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Stadt said:

They're not stupid obviously but a deal can be struck, there's some give and take. I'd rather limit our liability and pay a slight premium for it (and give an optional finally year extension) than be tied down. Quick players tend to have starker declines. 

An Athletic article which shows take on data for wingers declining pretty rapidly after 30 https://archive.is/QgplP

I like him but he's 31.5 now,

End of 24/25  - 32.5

End of 25/26 - 33.5

End of 26/27 - 34.5

If by 25/26 he's just a bit part player than we'd rather not play we have another Bertrand-esque situation.

If it was a straight up binary choice of 3 years or no deal I think I'd opt for the latter.

We've finally cleaned the decks this summer after being stuck with players on long contracts that nobody else would offer.

We've then proceeded to make the exact same decisions that'll see us unable to sign players in the 2/3 seasons because we're stuck with players we don't fancy and can't shift  :D 

2 years with a 1 year extension if both parties agree on a higher salary would be my choice.

Seems like we're just kicking the can down the road again and everyone is going to be shocked in 2/3 seasons when we have a 30 man squad packed with players that don't want to leave their cushy contracts.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, filbertway said:

We've finally cleaned the decks this summer after being stuck with players on long contracts that nobody else would offer.

We've then proceeded to make the exact same decisions that'll see us unable to sign players in the 2/3 seasons because we're stuck with players we don't fancy and can't shift  :D 

2 years with a 1 year extension if both parties agree on a higher salary would be my choice.

Seems like we're just kicking the can down the road again and everyone is going to be shocked in 2/3 seasons when we have a 30 man squad packed with players that don't want to leave their cushy contracts.

The Vestergaard deal was silly at the time, it looks even sillier now the first manager to actually play him left. We're bad negotiators.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2024 at 13:20, Stadt said:

The Vestergaard deal was silly at the time, it looks even sillier now the first manager to actually play him left. We're bad negotiators.

Consequence of being stitched up by Enzo. Together with the aborted US trip that he didn't want but ended up doing it anyway but with Chelsea.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Consequence of being stitched up by Enzo. Together with the aborted US trip that he didn't want but ended up doing it anyway but with Chelsea.

Maresca probably wanted him to sign a new deal but I can't imagine he'd recommend 3 years. Even if he did the club should grow and pair and say no, we've already been burnt dealing with Vestergaard and his agent once already.

On 26/07/2024 at 09:40, Stadt said:

Maresca probably wanted him to sign a new deal but I can't imagine he'd recommend 3 years. Even if he did the club should grow and pair and say no, we've already been burnt dealing with Vestergaard and his agent once already.

Vestergaard isn’t going to lose pace over the next three years. He’ll practically be the same player in three years, as he is today. His game is more mental than physical, so that’s why defenders like him to can play into their late 30s. He’s the least of our issues to be honest. 

17 minutes ago, Sly said:

Vestergaard isn’t going to lose pace over the next three years. He’ll practically be the same player in three years, as he is today. His game is more mental than physical, so that’s why defenders like him to can play into their late 30s. He’s the least of our issues to be honest. 

How many defenders play into their late 30s?

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

How many defenders play into their late 30s?

Just look at the ones we’ve had …. Morgan, Wasilewski they didn’t rely on pace. 

Outside of that look at Pepe, Silva, Chiellini, Puyol, Costacurta, Desailly, Blanc, Koeman, Sammer, Nesta, Canavarro, Baresi, Maldini etc all played past 35 but want reliant upon pace.  

Obviously Vesty isn’t at their level in quality, however he’s not going to get worse as long as he trains to maintain his fitness.