Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Netherlands vs England - Wednesday, 10th July @ 20:00

We deserved the win over the 90 minutes.

Yes the 2nd half was mostly turgid, but Koeman shored up the midfield after getting overrun in there first half. Wanted Foden and or Saka to try and get on the ball more and commit defenders as with Kane on the pitch the only way we'd have created was through individuals making space with a bit of trickery.

Credit to Southgate for the setup and changes. Yes the subs look obvious on the face of it, but he has demonstrated time and again his in game management isn't very good so it was a pleasant surprise to see his changes making an impact.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kp1984 said:

Love him or hate him you can’t argue with where we are. We been poor most the tournament but who cares. We are 1 win away 😃

We were better against Switzerland and improved on that again tonight. Tournament football is all about winning games! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Suck it up and give Southgate some credit on this occasion. He's rightly come under criticism this tournament but that was so much better. He's a limited manager, we all know that. However, He's built a team spirit and a togetherness that every other England manager has failed to do in my lifetime. 

Fair but he’s not having the credit for making very obvious subs. Don’t think the players are getting enough credit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Fair but he’s not having the credit for making very obvious subs. Don’t think the players are getting enough credit. 

Kane off was an obvious sub but was Foden? He was far and away our best player, particularly in the first half. Southgate would have been slaughtered for taking Foden off had we lost that. 

7 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Suck it up and give Southgate some credit on this occasion. He's rightly come under criticism this tournament but that was so much better. He's a limited manager, we all know that. However, He's built a team spirit and a togetherness that every other England manager has failed to do in my lifetime. 

I think this is fair. But I'd rather he didn't take us into the next world cup. That's the one I really want to win.

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I think this is fair. But I'd rather he didn't take us into the next world cup. That's the one I really want to win.

I know where you're coming from. Imagine if someone can maintain that sense of togetherness whilst also being more tactically astute. 

I quite like Southgate for the reason that I feel more connected to the national team under him than I had done previously. Having said that if given the choice I'd have picked Keegan, Capello and even Hogson or Allardyce to have managed Leicester over Southgate. I think all them are actually better football managers (for the periods that they were relevant anyway) and had proven track records at club level but they all failed to get England playing as a cohesive unit (I accept Allardyce can't be dragged into that catergory). 

• Like 1