Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Netherlands vs England - Wednesday, 10th July @ 20:00

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Still not convinced it was a penalty but, hey-ho, you win some you lose some. Wouldn't be happy if I were a Dutchman.

It would have been complete murder if that had been given against us. lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

How many times do you see defenders clear the ball and the attacker try to block it and give a foul away? It's exactly the same. 

Exactly, harsh but it is a penalty if you are going by the laws of the game. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Exactly, harsh but it is a penalty if you are going by the laws of the game. 

The most shocking part was that they sent it to the ref to review. Even with a strong England bias, you could at most argue for a soft and marginal penalty. I thought these weren't supposed to go to review unless it was a clear error? If this sets the standard for today's refereeing, we'd be seeing 10 penalties a game.

Good luck; bad luck.   It happens.

Off top of my head, I can think of 3 incidents of "bad luck" going terribly against England:
1. Maradona scooping the ball into the net a-la-basketball in the 1986 World Cup Quarter Final.
2. Sol Cambell's perfectly good goal ruled out against someone in the last minute of a key knockout match (i forget the oppo).
3. Frank Lampard's "goal" that wasn't allowed to stand v Germany in the 2010 World Cup (even though anyone could see it was nearly a yard over the line).

There are probably others too.  Obviously a few that went England's way in the last 50 years.    You just have to make the most of good luck, when it comes your way.

• Like 1

The UEFA rule that meant England got controversial penalty against Netherlands

Harry Kane's penalty that brought England level against the Netherlands has caused plenty of debate.

Kane was clipped by Denzel Dumfries as the two both challenged for the ball and although referee Felix Zwayer didn't initially award anything, VAR told him to look at the monitor before he then changed his mind.

There was plenty of discourse online however a UEFA rule that has emerged reveals that the decision to award a penalty was the correct one.

According to the rules regarding playing in a dangerous manner, players can be penalised for "any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself)"

UEFA states: "It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

"Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick.

"In the case of physical contact, the referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also been committed."

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, davieG said:

The UEFA rule that meant England got controversial penalty against Netherlands

Harry Kane's penalty that brought England level against the Netherlands has caused plenty of debate.

Kane was clipped by Denzel Dumfries as the two both challenged for the ball and although referee Felix Zwayer didn't initially award anything, VAR told him to look at the monitor before he then changed his mind.

There was plenty of discourse online however a UEFA rule that has emerged reveals that the decision to award a penalty was the correct one.

According to the rules regarding playing in a dangerous manner, players can be penalised for "any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself)"

UEFA states: "It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

"Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick.

"In the case of physical contact, the referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also been committed."

What a load of bollocks lol

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Did they actually show the image of the automated offside for Walker? I can't remember them going back to it. Must've been very close.

Didn't on the ITV coverage but did show it on the Beeb highlights. More offside than it looked to the eye.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Because the game is still going on. I didn't actually think it was allowed. Maybe (definitely) I am just being a killjoy. 

You are in luck on Sunday because the Spanish bench run outside their technical at every given opportunity

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I’m It’s the rules of the game so… I could say the offside was a load of bollocks too but it is the rules 

Fine. So long as people have the same energy when something like that goes against us as it's in the rules 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Fine. So long as people have the same energy when something like that goes against us as it's in the rules 

Well the offside did, but I have to accept it. The rules are there and if applied correctly you can’t complain and say it’s not a penalty, it is according to the rule. Now you can ask for it to be changed but that is a different matter altogether. I don’t like the handball rule either 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

This isn’t really, the defender is clearly going in dangerously, studs showing and foot up… that is reckless 

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Think we'd be livid if that was given against us

About time we had some luck though, had enough bad luck over the years

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Think we'd be livid if that was given against us

About time we had some luck though, had enough bad luck over the years

It is harsh, but the rule has been applied correctly so there isn’t any argument. The defender clearly goes in dangerously 

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Still not convinced it was a penalty but, hey-ho, you win some you lose some. Wouldn't be happy if I were a Dutchman.

It was a foul. Forget whether it should’ve been a penalty as it skews opinion. It was a clear foul, late to the ball and impacted Kane challenging fairly for it. 

• Like 1