Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Matt O’Riley - signed for Brighton

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We're probably just a smokescreen to help Celtic bump up the price.

I’m not so sure. We’ve been linked with O’Riley in previous transfer windows and he fits the bill in terms of what we need. I suspect our interest is genuine. 

Edited by ClaphamFox

7 hours ago, shen said:

I don't see us actually in for O'Riley.

We will be careful with our spending as we will likely get relegated this season - which O'Riley wouldn't want to stick around for, surely.

I suspect we'll do a lot of loan business to avoid being lumbered with expensive contracts and even more trouble with PSR whether PL or EFL - and spending big on O'Riley is the opposite of a prudent approach.

Unless Glover thinks Soulé is the next Ronaldo, I doubt we're offering 30m for an attacking midfielder / winger if we don't also have the money to pay that for two or three priority positions. 

I think O'Riley will go to a bigger club but I don't think money will be the issue. 

51 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I’m not so sure. We’ve been linked with O’Riley in previous transfer windows and he fits the bill in terms of what we need. I suspect our interest is genuine. 

Yeah I'm just being facetious. In reality though I can't see why anyone would come to us over another premier league club right now. 

We're massive favourites for relegation with the

The only thing in our favour is that other clubs might get hit with psr points deductions during the season too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I doubt the club sees it this way at all. The owners have no intention of getting relegated and are trying to build a squad to survive, which won’t happen if we refuse to spend. Hence we were willing to pay up to £30m for Soule and are very likely willing to pay a similar amount for O’Riley. Of course that doesn’t guarantee we’ll get these players, but I think our intention for this season is clear enough. 

yep, no doubt about it, If the Soule chase is really true (though he is untested in the Prem, stats are good, BUT.....a bit of a Soumare risk here) they are prepared to spend to finish at least 17th, no doubt about it, better to be in "the club" than out.

21 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yeah I'm just being facetious. In reality though I can't see why anyone would come to us over another premier league club right now. 

We're massive favourites for relegation with the

The only thing in our favour is that other clubs might get hit with psr points deductions during the season too.

They won’t have that kind of attitude. And you say this, but none of the teams hit with PRS breaches have been relegated? Not even Forest….. so, the argument at this time isn’t valid. 

People are worried of massive points deductions, but that simply won’t be the case….. we will likely get a deduction, but it won’t supersede anything we’ve already seen. 

Also, we can still pay and will still pay big wages, regardless of how we moan as a fan base, because the club still want to, and will try to compete, they’re not going to just stop. 

Players will still come to us, based on the fast we bolster careers, even in our two bad seasons we’ve sold a player to spurs, and then a player to Chelsea….. so it’s still evident we can be a good stepping stone for some players careers. 

Despite the doom and gloom, there’s a lot going for the club, and that still resonated within the wider football community. 

Edited by Pliskin

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

You Gotta Believe !!!

It's too early to say until we hear our deduction but we have the talent to stay up. MOR would be the game changer in the battle !!

It's not about belief, it's about pragmatism and responsible spending.

We've already been saddled with this yet unknown penalty because of careless spending and gross mismanagement. I should hope they've learnt their lesson.

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

I doubt the club sees it this way at all. The owners have no intention of getting relegated and are trying to build a squad to survive, which won’t happen if we refuse to spend. Hence we were willing to pay up to £30m for Soule and are very likely willing to pay a similar amount for O’Riley. Of course that doesn’t guarantee we’ll get these players, but I think our intention for this season is clear enough. 

If we start on -6/-12 points, we will have a serious handicap and the probability is that we won't make it. They surely have to take this into account and plan accordingly.

You could very well argue that it's more prudent to be sensible this year where the odds are stacked against us than it is to take a massive gamble that could easily backfire and set us back years or more...

It doesn't mean we shouldn't spend, but the wise money is buying players that will want to be here regardless of which league we're in (i.e. young players with potential at like £5-15m like Hermansen, Okoli, Mavididi, Fatawu etc) and loaning in players that can give us the necessary quality and depth to hopefully survive.

6 minutes ago, shen said:

It's not about belief, it's about pragmatism and responsible spending.

We've already been saddled with this yet unknown penalty because of careless spending and gross mismanagement. I should hope they've learnt their lesson.

If we start on -6/-12 points, we will have a serious handicap and the probability is that we won't make it. They surely have to take this into account and plan accordingly.

You could very well argue that it's more prudent to be sensible this year where the odds are stacked against us than it is to take a massive gamble that could easily backfire and set us back years or more...

It doesn't mean we shouldn't spend, but the wise money is buying players that will want to be here regardless of which league we're in (i.e. young players with potential at like £5-15m like Hermansen, Okoli, Mavididi, Fatawu etc) and loaning in players that can give us the necessary quality and depth to hopefully survive.

There's a big difference between -6 points and -12 points. The former would present a challenge, but one we could overcome; the latter I agree would make survival extremely difficult. But I'm expecting it to be much closer to -6 than -12, and I think the club is too.

If we only targeted players who would want to stay if we got relegated, we'd be narrowing our choices down considerably. We also need to consider high quality players who would boost our chances of staying up, but would also have a high resale value if we went down. I'd put Soule and O'Riley into that category. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

They won’t have that kind of attitude. And you say this, but none of the teams hit with PRS breaches have been relegated? Not even Forest….. so, the argument at this time isn’t valid. 

People are worried of massive points deductions, but that simply won’t be the case….. we will likely get a deduction, but it won’t supersede anything we’ve already seen. 

Also, we can still pay and will still pay big wages, regardless of how we moan as a fan base, because the club still want to, and will try to compete, they’re not going to just stop. 

Players will still come to us, based on the fast we bolster careers, even in our two bad seasons we’ve sold a player to spurs, and then a player to Chelsea….. so it’s still evident we can be a good stepping stone for some players careers. 

Despite the doom and gloom, there’s a lot going for the club, and that still resonated within the wider football community. 

The main reason we won't get a massive points deduction is that if they set the bar higher they would have to hammer Man City and possibly  Chelsea when their time eventually comes.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, foxgas said:

The main reason we won't get a massive points deduction is that if they set the bar higher they would have to hammer Man City and possibly  Chelsea when their time eventually comes.

The Premer League could give us a large points deduction and not give a points deduction to Man City or Chelsea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Atalanta have placed bid in for O'Riiley 

I bet the bid is laughable.  Probably half of what Celtic want.  

• Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 12:12, messerschmitt said:

The Premer League could give us a large points deduction and not give a points deduction to Man City or Chelsea.

Everyone c**t and his dog knows that's exactly what will happen.

If we got another striker in, Weghorst for example, then we could offer Cannon on Loan and say £20m for MOR to Celtic. Celtic could do with another centre forward, and he's an irish international. He'd bag for fun for a season in Scotland.

• Like 1

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

If we got another striker in, Weghorst for example, then we could offer Cannon on Loan and say £20m for MOR to Celtic. Celtic could do with another centre forward, and he's an irish international. He'd bag for fun for a season in Scotland.

it’s a good shout but would you trust a young asset with Brendan? 

Just now, comeonyoufoxes said:

reposted this last night. 2k followers, seems to know his stuff

IMG_3336.jpeg

I dont doubt we want him, he seems to be someone we've watched for a while which is usually how you know interest is genuine. 

But he's probably outgrown us, especially given our relegation. 

I'd be surprised if he ends up here personally. I think we'd have moved straight away after KDH had gone if this was the case and Percy would have already been reporting him as our top target. I'd like to be wrong, his signing would give me a lot more confidence for this season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dont doubt we want him, he seems to be someone we've watched for a while which is usually how you know interest is genuine. 

But he's probably outgrown us, especially given our relegation. 

I'd be surprised if he ends up here personally. I think we'd have moved straight away after KDH had gone if this was the case and Percy would have already been reporting him as our top target. I'd like to be wrong, his signing would give me a lot more confidence for this season. 

Agree with this, he won’t be coming here. Barely even been linked to be fair. Just people clutching at straws and hoping.