Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Matt O’Riley - signed for Brighton

I would have liked him here, he's a good player but seeing that makes not getting him easier to swallow. He is NOT a £30m player. He just isn't. 

Yes, one goal/assist every two games over 122 is impressive but I also don't think it translates well to a team who won't have nearly as much possession and are playing against teams much better than them. As his 3 assists and 0 goals in 12 UCL games demonstrates. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scotch said:

I would have liked him here, he's a good player but seeing that makes not getting him easier to swallow. He is NOT a £30m player. He just isn't. 

Yes, one goal/assist every two games over 122 is impressive but I also don't think it translates well to a team who won't have nearly as much possession and are playing against teams much better than them. As his 3 assists and 0 goals in 12 UCL games demonstrates. 

Depends what you term a £30m player tbh. A fair amount of worse players, with less potential than O'Riley have changed hands for that sort of money by clubs in the premier league, players who you could barely class as a regular professional footballer as yet, the boy Anderson at Newcastle being one example of many. And for the CL, for context, he was awarded UEFA MOTM in 2 of the 6 games last season, looking beyond the stats he had an excellent campaign for us and was a shining light, hence Atletico's interest in him off the back of coming up against him 6 months ago.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

From the Guardian on who each PL club should sign.

Leicester: Matt O’Riley

Leicester have cash to burn following the £30m sale of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall to Chelsea but now they need to sign a midfielder to replace the 25-year-old. They have only signed one midfielder this summer: the inexperienced teenager Michael Golding. Given the funds at their disposal, Matt O’Riley should be a viable target for the Foxes. The Denmark international has been linked with West Ham and Chelsea but the new Leicester manager Steve Cooper should go all out to sign him. The 23-year-old shone for Celtic last season, scoring 18 goals and providing 13 assists.

To be fair we do excel at burning cash. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scotch said:

He only cost Celtic 1.5 M two seasons ago and some report said that Leicester were interested in him when he was at Mk Dons 

22 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

He only cost Celtic 1.5 M two seasons ago and some report said that Leicester were interested in him when he was at Mk Dons 

I personally think there is a real maket for buying League one and championship talent. We have done it a few times and seamed tk have worked then was stopped. Maddison, Justin anyone else? 

Edited by DezFox
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

From the Guardian on who each PL club should sign.

Leicester: Matt O’Riley

Leicester have cash to burn following the £30m sale of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall to Chelsea but now they need to sign a midfielder to replace the 25-year-old. They have only signed one midfielder this summer: the inexperienced teenager Michael Golding. Given the funds at their disposal, Matt O’Riley should be a viable target for the Foxes. The Denmark international has been linked with West Ham and Chelsea but the new Leicester manager Steve Cooper should go all out to sign him. The 23-year-old shone for Celtic last season, scoring 18 goals and providing 13 assists.

To be fair we do excel at burning cash. 

The guardian have better scouting team than lcfc do. 

People are funny man! Acting like we are enabling brighton to sign o’reily because we are loaning one of their players… if it wasn’t us someone else would snap him up. 

In what world do we end up with o’reily because we didn’t loan Buonatte lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DezFox said:

I personally think there is a real maket for buying League one and championship talent. We have done it a few times and seamed tk have worked then was stopped. Maddison, Justin anyone else? 

its worked for loads of teams have done it, palace for one with some very good examples Wharton, Olise Eze to name a few all brought for under £40mil

we dont tap in to so many markets its unreal, so slow with it as well

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

People are funny man! Acting like we are enabling brighton to sign o’reily because we are loaning one of their players… if it wasn’t us someone else would snap him up. 

In what world do we end up with o’reily because we didn’t loan Buonatte lol

yeah they forget the fact theyve just sold Gross and Gilmour could be on the way out too

On 04/08/2024 at 10:11, em9999 said:

The Scottish league is of such a incredibly low standard I would suggest the step up from the championship is much less of a risk to take in the  signing of any player ..

Don't know why people are so keen on him , he's proven nothing 

I would say that the Scottish Premiership is on par with League One. It's very hard to judge just how good Matt O'Riley is based on his Celtic performance. I have watched him a few times & he looks extremely good but it's hard to factor in with the poor opposition. 

Edited by gurru991
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I would say that the Scottish Premiership is on par with League One. It's very hard to judge just how good Matt O'Riley is based on his Celtic performance. I have watched him a few times & he looks extremely good but it's hard to factor in with the poor opposition. 

Are you saying Rodger’s is a League One Manager?!?!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Nobody should be spending megabucks on a player from the scotch league. Too much of a risk.

The Scotch League is awesome .. it's the Scottish League that is shit.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...