Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Matt O’Riley - signed for Brighton

On 07/07/2024 at 00:56, HankMarvin said:

HOT PROPERTY 

Major Celtic hero Matt O’Riley transfer update as second Premier League side launch big money bid to replace £30m star

They think he could be a like-for-like replacement for one of their biggest stars

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13087064/celtic-matt-oriley-transfer-leicester-southampton-atletico-fee/

Someone please explain to me this because I am not knowledgeable about such matters : Why have we sold our best player for £30m to avoid further points deduction only to replace him with someone who is going to cost £50m?

• Like 1

Just now, KP Fox said:

Someone please explain to me this because I am not knowledgeable about such matters : Why have we sold our best player for £30m to avoid further points deduction only to replace him with someone who is going to cost £50m?

We won't be buying him for 50m, it is just rage inducing click bait.

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We won't be buying him for 50m, it is just rage inducing click bait.

Also, we had to sell KDH before 30 June to avoid another PSR breach. We're now in a different accounting period. Judging from our reported interest in O'Riley and Soule, the club has decided we can afford to spend £20m+ on an attacking midfielder this summer. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Also, we had to sell KDH before 30 June to avoid another PSR breach. We're now in a different accounting period. Judging from our reported interest in O'Riley and Soule, the club has decided we can afford to spend £20m+ on an attacking midfielder this summer. 

Yes, I agree with that, but not that any of the names we are linked with are worth us spending 50m on.

1 hour ago, KP Fox said:

51 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Also the £30m received goes onto a single year's accounting period.

However, purchases are spread out over the course of the player's contract (up to 5 years) in the accounts.

So, potentially, if we did something daft like buy a player for £50m then KDH's sale is £30m received in 2023/24 (because of when he was sold) and the £50m player potentially costs us £10m minimum in 2024/25. So it's feasible providing other outgoings mean we don't breach PSR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP Fox said:

If I've learned one thing on this forum its all about amortisation.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, KP Fox said:

The PSR rules work in accounting periods, so KDH was for last year and we are now in a new year.

Also I don't really understand why they do it this way, but the selling club gets to record the sale as lump sum (minus any you owe on a player) where as the buying club get to record the spend across a 5 year period.

So we record 30 million for the books selling kdh, but buying O'Reily for 30 million would be recorded as 6 million per year for the 5 years.

If it was in the same accounting period you would reflect that you are 24 million in profit for the year despite the total outlay being the same.

This is what this amortisation everyone has been talking about is.

1 minute ago, Iwebema said:

The PSR rules work in accounting periods, so KDH was for last year and we are now in a new year.

Also I don't really understand why they do it this way, but the selling club gets to record the sale as lump sum (minus any you owe on a player) where as the buying club get to record the spend across a 5 year period.

So we record 30 million for the books selling kdh, but buying O'Reily for 30 million would be recorded as 6 million per year for the 5 years.

If it was in the same accounting period you would reflect that you are 24 million in profit for the year despite the total outlay being the same.

This is what this amortisation everyone has been talking about is.

BECAUSE IT'S RUBBISH

2 hours ago, stu said:

Atalanta's bid was £15m apparently. Rejected. Word on the street is £20m + £5m in add-ons gets this done. We really should be all over that, for that price. Also, I know we jest, but they are after a keeper, so we could give them Iversen or Ward as make-weight

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Atalanta's bid was £15m apparently. Rejected. Word on the street is £20m + £5m in add-ons gets this done. We really should be all over that, for that price. Also, I know we jest, but they are after a keeper, so we could give them Iversen or Ward as make-weight

If £20m plus add-ons is the figure this would seem much less of a gamble than Soule at the same sort of price and more of a direct KDH replacement. I'm worried that we only have 2 established premiership central midfielders and at the moment nobody that adds goals on a regular basis.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Bloody hell that’s criminal if that’s all it takes and we aren’t all over it.

1 minute ago, LestaLad said:

Bloody hell that’s criminal if that’s all it takes and we aren’t all over it.

Rudkin is busy trying to convince Danny Ward to stay with a 10 year and 10 metres extension to his house.

Plus he only does deals with fax, Celtic dont have one

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Ward is more like a dead weight but I like your thinking . . . 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Oh Man. ... That got me all excited . Danny Ward to Celtic.   That's what dreams are made of !!

• Haha 2