Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Tom Cannon - loaned to Stoke

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

0.7 goal creating actions per 90 puts you at around 25 goal involvements a season, and his goal rate would be a 10-12 goal season as the main starter. for a lower half team that is perfectly respectable.

He struggled in The Premier League, he struggled in The Championship. You’ve damned him with faint praise by saying he’d be good in a lower half team. He was playing in the team at the top of the league last season. I notice you didn’t even argue with my comments about his all round ability. Daka hasn’t demonstrated a skillset to contribute as a forward creator through his passing, hold up play or his dribbling so he has to score lots of goals to justify his position. He hasn’t done enough of that at any stage in his LCFC career. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

He struggled in The Premier League, he struggled in The Championship. You’ve damned him with faint praise by saying he’d be good in a lower half team. He was playing in the team at the top of the league last season. I notice you didn’t even argue with my comments about his all round ability. Daka hasn’t demonstrated a skillset to contribute as a forward creator through his passing, hold up play or his dribbling so he has to score lots of goals to justify his position. He hasn’t done enough of that at any stage in his LCFC career. 

see, I thought talking about goal creating actions was addressing the all round ability nonsense, because ultimately his all round ability creates goals for himself and his teammates. to talk about him struggling in the prem conveniently omits that the first season was a 22 year old in a foreign country trying to dislodge a club legend, and the second was in an incredibly dysfunctional team lead by a manager trying to get sacked, and he didn't struggle in the championship, he had a good dec-feb period, then had a goal wrongly ruled out at Leeds and missed a sitter and proceeded to lose confidence as Enzo started chopping and changing every game as the team as a whole fell apart. He's a player who needs a supportive arm around the shoulder and a run of appearances. anyone claiming he's a bad player tbqh doesn't know what they're talking about 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

He's not had much of a chance to show what he's capable of, but my perception of him from what I have seen is that he's decent technically and a good finisher, but he's pretty immobile. Lacks a bit of pace and movement. You have to be exceptionally good in other areas to be Premier League striker if you lack those fundamentals imho. My gut feeling is that he'd struggle in the PL 

The only thing Kane is good as it hitting the back of the net, Cannon is of a similar ilk 

Just now, The Doctor said:

see, I thought talking about goal creating actions was addressing the all round ability nonsense, because ultimately his all round ability creates goals for himself and his teammates. to talk about him struggling in the prem conveniently omits that the first season was a 22 year old in a foreign country trying to dislodge a club legend, and the second was in an incredibly dysfunctional team lead by a manager trying to get sacked, and he didn't struggle in the championship, he had a good dec-feb period, then had a goal wrongly ruled out at Leeds and missed a sitter and proceeded to lose confidence as Enzo started chopping and changing every game as the team as a whole fell apart. He's a player who needs a supportive arm around the shoulder and a run of appearances. anyone claiming he's a bad player tbqh doesn't know what they're talking about 

No that stat doesn’t address his all round ability. It’s a figure that doesn’t outline if the chances were his own or ones he’d created for others and it doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t hold the ball up well , isn’t a great passer and isn’t a dribbler as this is absolutely clear from watching him. He’s like the modern day Gary Lineker without the world class finishing ability and it nearly cost us winning the league last season. Your comment about his age etc conveniently omits that when a player is signed for over £23 million and accepts an £80k a week wage he will be judged accordingly.

9 hours ago, Edingleyfox said:

Well I feel sorry for the lad. He got 20mins the other day when the team was being battered midfield supply was non existent etc. I also think given Vardy’s injury and Daka not scoring he could have been looked at earlier .Maybe he is not good enough but players need to know his strengths. Watching him against Huddersfield last year and clips of his 8 goals on loan convinced me there is some talent and finishing ability. 

Didn't look like a player desperate to take his chance vs Lens even if it was just for last 5-10 he half heartedly marked the wrong spaces and didn't close down at the same time as the other forwards.

I know he has a good snap shot on him, from that one game last year but other than that he's shown very little with the time he has had, and in training he can't be busting a gut or developing into what we need or as someone said the coaches and manager would pick him.

41 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

No that stat doesn’t address his all round ability. It’s a figure that doesn’t outline if the chances were his own or ones he’d created for others and it doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t hold the ball up well , isn’t a great passer and isn’t a dribbler as this is absolutely clear from watching him. He’s like the modern day Gary Lineker without the world class finishing ability and it nearly cost us winning the league last season. Your comment about his age etc conveniently omits that when a player is signed for over £23 million and accepts an £80k a week wage he will be judged accordingly.

he's not at all the modern day Gary lineker, he was not even remotely close to costing us the title last season (as if the march-early April wobble was down to him rather than having one fit centre midfielder and a team effort???), indeed last season our attack never looked more cohesive than when he was playing. you can bang on about the eyetest all you like, it's a bollocks test, scouting is done on analytics and there's a reason those of us into analytics like him.

when you sign a 22 year old for that much you are paying for potential, it is not 2004 anymore.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

he's not at all the modern day Gary lineker, he was not even remotely close to costing us the title last season (as if the march-early April wobble was down to him rather than having one fit centre midfielder and a team effort???), indeed last season our attack never looked more cohesive than when he was playing. you can bang on about the eyetest all you like, it's a bollocks test, scouting is done on analytics and there's a reason those of us into analytics like him.

when you sign a 22 year old for that much you are paying for potential, it is not 2004 anymore.

If you are paying £80k a week you aren’t paying for potential. Daka earns significantly more than players that you would see as potential here and at big 6 clubs - Doku at Man City is on £60k, Gallagher at Chelsea was on £50k. Based on our wage structure Daka is paid as an established pro which he was at Red Bull. If you want to compare, Faes is on £50k, Justin on even less, 

A good analyst also uses the eye test, scouting is done by watching a player and looking at his stats. A footballer plays on a pitch, not a spreadsheet. The fact that your statistics appear to show you that Daka has been a success when he clearly hasn’t backs that up. 

• Like 1

The one thing you don't get in the PL is time and if there's a player in the side capable of a snap shot or hitting it on the turn it's Cannon. He's by no no means the finished article but Daka's had 3 seasons. The odd decent finish aside he's been awful. There's zero point going into season four hoping he'll suddenly become clinical. Rather give Cannon a few games to do something and get game time, loaning him out wastes his potential.

• Like 3

Harry Kane was thrust into the line light at spurs, and he was never really on the radar, a number of average loans yielded little results. Faith was put in him, and the rest was history. 

What I’m saying is, it takes one decent 90 minutes, and the rest could be history. Daka (now injured) has been given countless chances, and has produced nothing, the lads a complete waste of space, Vardy can’t be relied upon to be the main striker. Cannon needs to be given a fair chance, it’s one thing training, but games can bring out something different in players.

I’ll be desperately annoyed and disappointed if Cooper opts to play Mavadidi out of position, and leave a striker on the bench…… 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Nixon reporting on cannon this morning I think, headline is Stoke face cannon frustration, imagine he ain’t going on loan now Daka out for months. 

Yes, he's our only fit striker, but if Cooper has no intention playing, what's the point him hanging around doing nothing. His confidence is likely to be low, being the only recognised striker fit, yet Cooper potentially feels Mavadidi is a better option. I suppose it all depends what happens in the next couple of weeks as to whether or not he'll be allowed to go out on loan.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Yes, he's our only fit striker, but if Cooper has no intention playing, what's the point him hanging around doing nothing. His confidence is likely to be low, being the only recognised striker fit, yet Cooper potentially feels Mavadidi is a better option. I suppose it all depends what happens in the next couple of weeks as to whether or not he'll be allowed to go out on loan.

With Daka out I’d guess January loan more likely for him? 

Mavidi is a striker as well as a winger and showed some great finishes in the championship. Plus we have cover in mavidivis position on the wing should be move into the middle. 

It isn't controversial to play mavidi instead of cannon up front. 

It most likely depends on who's looked the best striker in training. 

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It isn't controversial to play mavidi instead of cannon up front. 

I'm not suggesting it's controversial, more that Cannon is an out and out striker, Mavadidi best position for me is a winger. The lad must feel somewhat disheartened that he is the only out and out striker at the club, yet a makeshift striker is preferred ahead of him.

• Like 1

I think Cannon is going to surprise quite a few people with decent form in these next games. Glad that Cooper’s hand has been forced to give him a try. 

Saying that, we’re now likely to see Soumaré up front..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I think Cannon is going to surprise quite a few people with decent form in these next games. Glad that Cooper’s hand has been forced to give him a try. 

If Cannon does play then we have to focus on creating chances for him. I know that is obvious but even last season he was a player that at times wasn't being sought out when we were attacking. That maybe a weakness of his and one of the reasons I think he's better in a front two but here we are. He's proven when chances do fall his way that his shooting technique is sound, he hits the target and I think there's goals in him.

It would be a huge boost of confidence for him if Cooper deploys him and gives him at least the next 2-3 games before we invariably get in another striker and Vardy returns.

15 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

I'm not suggesting it's controversial, more that Cannon is an out and out striker, Mavadidi best position for me is a winger. The lad must feel somewhat disheartened that he is the only out and out striker at the club, yet a makeshift striker is preferred ahead of him.

He's not a makeshift striker that's the point , he can play on the wing or upfront.

19 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Romero and VDV vs cannon?

their keeper might as well take the day off 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2024 at 07:31, Finnegan said:

I think I'd get the Premier League golden boot if they'd just offer me a contract. 

I have no evidence for this and I've done nothing to ever indicate I'm ready for that level but hey I'm not Patson Daka right now bad could I be.

Plus I'm white British and I run around a lot which a lot of people tend to like. I don't see the problem tbh. 

Don't judge people by your own standards. It's possible to think a young white player should be given a chance without it being a race thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He's not a makeshift striker that's the point , he can play on the wing or upfront.

Who are you gonna play left wing though? BDCR and Fatawu both prefer and are better on the right. By playing Mavididi as a centre forward you are effectively playing someone out of position on the left. If Cannon plays, the wingers can play in their best positions.