Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Tom Cannon - loaned to Stoke

7 minutes ago, Tuna said:

He needs a 40 game season in the Championship.

This. I think he will come good but he needs to go out and prove himself. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kp1984 said:

I’m I’m baffled as to why people are happy for him to go on loan. He came in why Daka was at afcon and realy impressed scored a few and look very exciting. Then for some odd reason enzo went get on the bench cannon Daka your in. Ever since then all I hear fans say is  not sure he’s good enough maybe send him on loan. Just think it’s wierd 

I thought it was criminal, looking at Daka's performances last season, that he didn't at least get game time to progress particularly when we were winning. For me it was because Maresca was very much the typical 'style over substance' type manager and, out of all of our strikers, Daka possibly fitted that style best, albeit he was particularly useless at finishing. 

I'm hoping that Cooper, who is reputed to give youth a chance puts some work into Cannon because given the right service in the right areas, he appeared far more likely to convert than Daka!

In this respect I really do believe that Maresca going could have been a blessing in disguise because his system with our players was never in a million years going to work in the Premiership. I think Cannon could come good.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VLC86 said:

Because we are in the Premier League now and are currently relying on a 38 year old, Cannon who barely played and Patson Daka.

We need better options. Loaning him out could either mean we can sell him for a decent fee or we have a player back with us with more confidence.

Cannon didn’t play because of enzo so play him 

Just now, Kp1984 said:

What do you mean more confident play him and he might get that. He showed enough to say he deserved a chance.

3 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I really rate him but I think a season smashing it up in the championship could do him and his development a world of good and then be back and ready for the following season when it seems Vardy will have retired

Or we play him and maybe he does that for us. I don’t get why we all want him out on loan. He showed some great stuff let’s get him playing for us 

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

For me, the biggest issue with this is that it indicates there's no departure on the horizon for Daka. Even though I expect a striker to come in, I don't imagine we will sign two so if Cannon goes on loan, I imagine Daka will stay and I'd much prefer it the other way around. 

Problem with offloading Daka is that people have seen him play. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kp1984 said:

On just that logic, it’s really not worth it is it. We need at least one new striker, and he didn’t look happy with his part last season so loaning him is probably the right thing.

I think the reason a lot of the Strikers were so crap last year is there was clearly no effort or practice put into shooting and hitting the target. Everything was about how we could perform to most beautiful inverted triangulator! 

I think maybe if we practice shooting we may hit the goal a bit more!

40 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I think the reason a lot of the Strikers were so crap last year is there was clearly no effort or practice put into shooting and hitting the target. Everything was about how we could perform to most beautiful inverted triangulator! 

I think maybe if we practice shooting we may hit the goal a bit more!

Write in mate, bet they haven’t thought of that.

• Haha 2

Think a lot of fans are over-estimating Cannon. There’s no way Everton would have let him go if he was PL ready. Everton would bite their left hand off to have a striker like Vardy. Despite his age, Cannon is nowhere near the level of Vards and I doubt he every will be 

5 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

Might as well have a look at him...with so few good centre forwards around we are going to have to pull some rabbits out of hats to find someone cheap as almost every side in the division could use an upgrade at striker. Is Cannon really a worse option to keep than Daka?

Only Man City, Newcastle, Villa, Bournemouth, Palace, Forest and Wolves should be happy with having a reliable option currently and the last two of those are debateable.

Name Club App Goals
Erling Haaland Manchester City 31 27
Alexander Isak Newcastle United 30 21
Ollie Watkins Aston Villa 37 19
Dominic Solanke AFC Bournemouth 38 19
Jean-Philippe Mateta Crystal Palace 35 16
Nicolas Jackson Chelsea FC 35 14
Chris Wood Nottingham Forest 31 14
Matheus Cunha Wolverhampton Wanderers 32 12
Hee-chan Hwang Wolverhampton Wanderers 29 12
Julián Álvarez Manchester City 36 11
Darwin Núñez Liverpool FC 36 11
Carlton Morris Luton Town 38 11
Richarlison Tottenham Hotspur 28 11
Rasmus Højlund Manchester United 30 10
Elijah Adebayo Luton Town 27 10
João Pedro Brighton & Hove Albion 31 9
Rodrigo Muniz Fulham FC 26 9
Callum Wilson Newcastle United 20 9
Dominic Calvert-Lewin Everton FC 32 7
Odsonne Edouard Crystal Palace 30 7

The fact that absolute donkeys like Mateta, Jackson, Wood and Solanke have scored so many makes me think we don't need this magical 1 in a thousand striker. The division isn't quite what it was 5/6 years ago IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The fact that absolute donkeys like Mateta, Jackson, Wood and Solanke have scored so many makes me think we don't need this magical 1 in a thousand striker. The division isn't quite what it was 5/6 years ago IMO.

Yeah there are some very average players who've managed double figures over the last few seasons - Solanke, Mateta, Wood, Jackson, Hwang, Morris, Adebayo, Rodrigo, Almiron, Awoniyi, Pukki, Antonio, Dennis. It certainly shouldn't be beyond either our current strikers to match that sort of output or our recruitment team to find someone who can within our budget.

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

This. I think he will come good but he needs to go out and prove himself. 

Absolutely, he didn't get a lot of play, so Enzo saw an issue, he was a good finisher when he did score a couple of times, but for me, he didn't seem totally interested and his work without the ball came across lazy.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

They also completely over look just how good a season Daka just had relative to his minutes played. Yes, he got out performed by Vardy in the end but only just and there's not much shame in that. 

Of players to play over a 1000 minutes in the league last year, only Jamie Vardy (1.02) had more goal contributions (combined goals and assists) per 90 minutes last season than Patson Daka (0.99) in the entire Championship, of players in any position. 

That's not nothing. 

For comparison, Summerville and Szmodics both had 0.72. 

It's also completely overlooking how much better the team looked collectively when he played. 

I still don’t rate Daka. Maybe our style or the English game just doesn’t suit him. Stats are obviously contextual and the ones you’ve selected are favourable to his cause but I believe his individual Xg stats show his weakness. 

Last year, Daka’s expected goals were 9.85, he scored 7, so -2.85.
Vardy, xg 17.41, scored 18, so -0.59. Cannon, xg 1.76, scored 2, so 0.24. Iheanacho, xg 6.43, scored 5, so -1.43. 

Daka scores regularly because logically he should get decent chances playing for a better team than any other in the league. However he’s profligate with the chances he receives, hence the negative xg. 

26 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I still don’t rate Daka. Maybe our style or the English game just doesn’t suit him. Stats are obviously contextual and the ones you’ve selected are favourable to his cause but I believe his individual Xg stats show his weakness. 

Vardy, xg 17.41, scored 18, so -0.59. Cannon, xg 1.76, scored 2, so 0.24. Iheanacho, xg 6.43, scored 5, so -1.43. 

Daka scores regularly because logically he should get decent chances playing for a better team than any other in the league. However he’s profligate with the chances he receives, hence the negative xg. 

You can't use net seasonal results, you need to look at per lots of 90 minutes.

And over his two seasons in the Premier League, Patson Daka was the only Leicester striker to match or out perform his xG in both seasons, bettering both Vardy and Iheanacho over that period. 

He missed a couple of absolute sitters between Elland Road and the end of the season last year. I'm not suggesting he's perfect, I couldn't defend some of those misses in high stakes moments. 

But you equally can't argue with his output, it's been excellent. 

He's a scruffy looking footballer and he fails the eye test but so have plenty of other players in history, someone like Thomas Muller is a classic example (and before anyone starts, no I'm obviously not suggesting Daka is on that level.)

But he is probably in the top five most under rated players by our own fanbase in the last twenty years. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You can't use net seasonal results, you need to look at per lots of 90 minutes.

And over his two seasons in the Premier League, Patson Daka was the only Leicester striker to match or out perform his xG in both seasons, bettering both Vardy and Iheanacho over that period. 

He missed a couple of absolute sitters between Elland Road and the end of the season last year. I'm not suggesting he's perfect, I couldn't defend some of those misses in high stakes moments. 

But you equally can't argue with his output, it's been excellent. 

He's a scruffy looking footballer and he fails the eye test but so have plenty of other players in history, someone like Thomas Muller is a classic example (and before anyone starts, no I'm obviously not suggesting Daka is on that level.)

But he is probably in the top five most under rated players by our own fanbase in the last twenty years. 

You dating Patson, again?:matty:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Where did you get these stats?

7 hours ago, goose2010 said:

He won't play and we need him to get minutes for the following season. He did look good in the games he came in for but not sure he will get the chances this season. We will probably get a decent loan fee too so really it makes total sense. 

How do you know he won’t play copper might like him. I would rather he play for us 

For him to either be a contributor for us or to make a profit for him, he needs regular playing time this year. I don’t think he’ll get that here if we buy a striker. I think a loan to the Championship makes a ton of sense.