Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Concerns about the direction of the club

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I challenge you to name one that was worse, all things considered. 

This has already been done. The "all things considered" is nothing more than opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There’s been a few negligent relegations through the years. West Ham 02-03, Leeds 03-04  Newcastle 08-09, and Leicester all spring to mind. There’s no way we should have gone down with some of the talent we had in the squad. Although I will say the defence was pony. With a defence that has Dan Amartey as its first choice centre back for the majority of the season you run the risk of flirting with relegation

It always feels worse, and far more embarrassing when it’s your own club that something like that happens to. I was, and still am to an extent, fuming at the mismanagement across all levels that caused it to happen.  But it won’t be talked about in years to come like the Derby relegation still is, regardless of how shit their squad was that truly was embarrassing

2 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

No and to be honest, a bit more communication would at least help a bit. Instead they are obsessed with having this image of being a “private club” 

Honestly, what good what it do?

Currently they are hammered for not saying anything.

If they said something, they would get hammered for not saying enough.  They would also be hammered for whatever they said.

The cries for a “statement” are to appease fans who cannot be appeased. 
In other words - it’s a no win situation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, marbles said:

If they said something, they would get hammered for not saying enough.  They would also be hammered for whatever they said.

I think the admittance of errors last summer would have gone well. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
49 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

and yet the results against the dog shit teams relegated us.

WE were a dog-shit team, is my point.

Tielemans wasn’t very bothered. Maddison came and went. Barnes was often injured (I think)?

Daka and Nacho couldn’t hit a barn door.

And the defence was dreadful. 
I had no surprise that we went down, apart from the final day when I had a feeling we’d shit-house it somehow.

Terrible season 

1 hour ago, dooflip said:

100%

Tielemans, Maddison, Vardy, Barnes…

We should have never been in the bottom half with the side we had, let alone the relegation zone.

Id be intrigued to know how many sides in europes top leagues have been relegated in the same time frame as us after winning the league (excluding relegations for fraud, fixing etc)

Blackburn 5 seasons after winning Prem.

Guest Col city fan

I think we’ve done some decent business so far, but when I see lists of the likely starting line-up, my initial reaction is that it’s no way going to cope in the Premiership this coming season. 
We surely can’t start with Faes and Vestie as the two CB’s surely? 
Are we playing 5-3-2? 

50 minutes ago, marbles said:

But they never communicated when we were doing well either. When things are shit or there’s a lack of trust, then you have to communicate, or at least a little,  with your fanbase otherwise everyone just feels completely distant from the club which is what has happened and makes things worse. Yes they’ll be some that criticise regardless but they could at least try. They don’t speak to the media because they know they can’t defend their decisions. 

44 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I think the admittance of errors last summer would have gone well. 

That may have made you and some supporters happy, but I just don't think it would have satisfied the majority.

I think it would be a never ending back and forth of "we demand this, and we demand that".

Just going by reactions on FT - its no win for them.

At the beginning of last season, the consensus was  "we just need to rebound and get back up ASAP"

How long before that sentiment changed?

Just to be clear, not excusing anything they've done or not done. 

I can just understand the potential reasoning for not making statements.  

2 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

But they never communicated when we were doing well either. When things are shit or there’s a lack of trust, then you have to communicate, or at least a little,  with your fanbase otherwise everyone just feels completely distant from the club which is what has happened and makes things worse. Yes they’ll be some that criticise regardless but they could at least try. They don’t speak to the media because they know they can’t defend their decisions. 

Fair enough.

Like I said, maybe that's all some fans want - just to hear them say something.  

I do get that.

• Like 1

Since the war:

Villa 6 seasons after winning the league and 5 after winning the European Cup.

Derby 5 seasons

Ipswich 2 seasons

Liverpool 7 seasons

Wolves 6 seasons

Man Utd 7 seasons

There's been another 4 within a decade and another 9 within 15 years.

I dare say they'll be some in other big leagues, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Monaco, Borrusia Munchengladbach, Coruna and Napoli spring to mind but I can't remember the details.

5 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I challenge you to name one that was worse, all things considered. 

Leeds in 2004? With Mark Viduka, Alan Smith, Pennant, Batty, Milner, Robinson wall to wall internationals.

Ours was bad, but all things considered that Leeds team was very similar to use, Champions league semi just a couple of years earlier. Huge players on huge wages and their crash was bigger.

The biggest thing is the recovery, in similar circumstances, they never recovered - we bounced straight back

• Like 2

As others have mentioned part of this is a consequence of modern football mucking up in all its totality, but one part that urks me specifically about our club is the lack of accountability at the top (pun?). The businessy people (Rudkin et al) have made very obvious mistakes in the recent past and Top and the club have admitted to such BUT Top did not sack those people. Maybe they've learnt from their mistakes? Doubt it. Looking at you Rudkin and Whelan.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Something is going on....

One member of senior staff not been seen much around the club for weeks / months.

11 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Ridiculous hyperbole, you think getting relegated by 2 points on the last day is more embarrassing than Derby's 11 points in 2007/08?

It's right up there with the most unnecessary relegations in PL history. Underperformance at its finest. Then when you see what's unravelled financially that many fans presume is a consequence of relegation rather than the major failings in the 2+ years before relegation and some of us are still angry.

I carve our ownership tenure up in to two spells pre and post the death of Vichai. Despite winning major honours in both that should surpass any failings for a club our size, I am not proud of our club in recent years. 

Our achievements will be cherished for a lifetime but it's reasonable for our fans to eant to hold the current ownership to account. 

23 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

One member of senior staff not been seen much around the club for weeks / months.

Why don't you just say who this senior member of staff is?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

To be honest, I doubt anything is actually going on. Whoever it is, is probably just chilling knowing their job is secure regardless … 

7 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Since the war:

Villa 6 seasons after winning the league and 5 after winning the European Cup.

Derby 5 seasons

Ipswich 2 seasons

Liverpool 7 seasons

Wolves 6 seasons

Man Utd 7 seasons

There's been another 4 within a decade and another 9 within 15 years.

Tbf in a completely different era where the financial imbalance wasn’t so large. In the case of Liverpool you are using a relegation suffered in 1953! On the same notion, they got promoted in 1962 and won the league in 1964, which is near impossible now

Any team winning a trophy has a significant advantage over other clubs because of financial rules etc.  

Edited by CosbehFox