Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Matías Soulé

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'd like to hear your reasoning and evidence for that. 

That's fair enough. Whenever I've watched him play, or followed his performances in games I can't, he seems to do much better when he has support up front. He scored 7 goals last year as a solo striker, and at Championship level I just don't think that's anywhere good enough going into the Premier League.

We bought him off the back of a fantastic season with Salzburg, who play/played the traditional RB way of two up top. He shone. Yes the PL and Championship are a step up from the Austrian Bundesliga, but I genuinely believe if he was in a 2 he'd have scored more these past two seasons.

We keep doing this: Signing strikers who would work well in a two, playing off another forward, and then playing them alone up front. It's frustrating, as I believe Daka could thrive in a system that suits him.

I think it was Di Marzio who originally broke the story wasn’t it? His latest tweet translates as saying ‘ if there was the possibility to choose’ then he would choose Roma. Simply put, if we outbid them, then he would be ok signing with us.  

but we can’t possibly expect to outshine Roma in a straight fight surely?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think it was Di Marzio who originally broke the story wasn’t it? His latest tweet translates as saying ‘ if there was the possibility to choose’ then he would choose Roma. Simply put, if we outbid them, then he would be ok signing with us.  

but we can’t possibly expect to outshine Roma in a straight fight surely?

In a better position than last year but its still not that positive. Revenue 224 million, costs 349 mill. Sounds like they have juliano rudkino running operations

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

for a player i've never watched?

gone are the days of Nicky Sumerbee signing and playing for free.. at least we are getting out the folded green ones!

• Like 1

As per @comeonyoufoxes:

Essentially says nothing is stopping Soule joining us accept agreeing the transfer fee. 

He then provides more detail in this article:  https://www.alfredopedulla.com/esclusiva-chiesa-roma-la-partita-e-ancora-aperta-e-su-soule/

Key paragraph:

We'll see if the scenarios change. De Rossi likes it (as Chiesa likes) and it's not a mystery, but it's absolutely false that he would close the doors to the Premier and Leicester (in pressing). The British are preparing an offer that can get closer to Juventus' minimum demand: 28-30 million fixed base plus bonus.

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MPH said:

gone are the days of Nicky Sumerbee signing and playing for free.. at least we are getting out the folded green ones!

that's fine. but i'm not gonna pretend to be excited for a guy i've never watched lol

21 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

He scored 7 goals last year as a solo striker

He scored 7 goals and contributed 5 assists in 15 starts racking up 1086 minutes of football. This means he returned a goal every 0.58 lots of 90 minutes and a goal contribution (goal or assist) every 0.99 games. A goal a game. A better return than every other Championship player, in any position, to play more than a thousand minutes - except Jamie Vardy at 1.02.

Even for goals, he was the 7th most efficient striker in the league to qualify. For context, Jon Rowe was scoring a goal every 0.53 games, Adam Armstrong every 0.50 and Che Adams every 0.63.

But honestly if you want to quantify how he actually "fit" playing as a solo or "lone" (I hate this term) striker you want to look at more than his output. He's in the 76th percentile for passes attempted amongst strikers, the 92nd for pass completion, the 86th for touches in the penalty area and the team scored more goals per game when he started than when he didn't.

But most of all, I just absolutely loathe this idea that any modern striker "needs" a striker partner or can "only play in a two" or "can't play as a lone striker." There are no lone players on a football pitch and if there are, the manager is doing something very wrong. We didn't play a "lone" striker last year, we had one central forward yes but he was part of an attacking unit of five with two overlapping, extremely advanced midfielders for support as well as two extremely advanced wingers. Often, our strikers were the deepest of all of them, dropping in to collect from Vestergaard, Hermansen or Winks and start a move with the likes of KDH and Mavididi getting on their bike to fill the gap behind.

Never was Daka or Vardy or Iheanacho isolated and "alone" and both Daka and Vardy ended up really fitting and I'd say thriving in the shape by the end of the season. No striker "needs" another striker as a partner but ALL footballers need bodies around them if they're going to actually function. Our biggest problem under Rodgers is he became so terrified of our defensive frailty with no idea how to fix it that he increasingly restricted the number of bodies he'd allow to get forward and support whoever of Daka, Iheanacho or Vardy was left just stuck up front feeding off scraps. That was never the problem last year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So Roma want Chiesa and Soule, you would have to imagine that only one of those has legs. Or Roma are just like Chelsea.

Not a chance they could afford both. 

I think we'll end up with Soule. 

They'll end up with Chiesa. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So Roma want Chiesa and Soule, you would have to imagine that only one of those has legs. Or Roma are just like Chelsea.

I reckon they both must have, otherwise it'd be too difficult to play the game.

• Haha 1

Just now, JimJams said:

I reckon they both must have, otherwise it'd be too difficult to play the game.

According to Juve fans, Chiesa has legs but has no idea how to use them.

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He scored 7 goals and contributed 5 assists in 15 starts racking up 1086 minutes of football. This means he returned a goal every 0.58 lots of 90 minutes and a goal contribution (goal or assist) every 0.99 games. A goal a game. A better return than every other Championship player, in any position, to play more than a thousand minutes - except Jamie Vardy at 1.02.

Even for goals, he was the 7th most efficient striker in the league to qualify. For context, Jon Rowe was scoring a goal every 0.53 games, Adam Armstrong every 0.50 and Che Adams every 0.63.

But honestly if you want to quantify how he actually "fit" playing as a solo or "lone" (I hate this term) striker you want to look at more than his output. He's in the 76th percentile for passes attempted amongst strikers, the 92nd for pass completion, the 86th for touches in the penalty area and the team scored more goals per game when he started than when he didn't.

But most of all, I just absolutely loathe this idea that any modern striker "needs" a striker partner or can "only play in a two" or "can't play as a lone striker." There are no lone players on a football pitch and if there are, the manager is doing something very wrong. We didn't play a "lone" striker last year, we had one central forward yes but he was part of an attacking unit of five with two overlapping, extremely advanced midfielders for support as well as two extremely advanced wingers. Often, our strikers were the deepest of all of them, dropping in to collect from Vestergaard, Hermansen or Winks and start a move with the likes of KDH and Mavididi getting on their bike to fill the gap behind.

Never was Daka or Vardy or Iheanacho isolated and "alone" and both Daka and Vardy ended up really fitting and I'd say thriving in the shape by the end of the season. No striker "needs" another striker as a partner but ALL footballers need bodies around them if they're going to actually function. Our biggest problem under Rodgers is he became so terrified of our defensive frailty with no idea how to fix it that he increasingly restricted the number of bodies he'd allow to get forward and support whoever of Daka, Iheanacho or Vardy was left just stuck up front feeding off scraps. That was never the problem last year.

Daka's overall stats would be even better if he hadn't underperformed compared to his expected goals by a fair bit as well

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1