Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Matías Soulé

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Daka's overall stats would be even better if he hadn't underperformed compared to his expected goals by a fair bit as well

Which is the first year that he's done that here and it came from missing several absolute sitters in a run from that howler st Leeds onwards. It definitely rocked his confidence. 

As I've said before, I totally can't defend them and you could absolutely see the stark difference in quality even at 38 between Vardy and Daka in that regard. 

But I still maintain Daka's all round game was a better fit for the system than Vards and I think we'd have had a less turgid start to the season if Daka hadn't begun the year in the dog house while Iheanacho was floundering a bit. 

What he needs now is either Cooper to come in and say "you know what, you're first choice this year, 100%, we will back you to be the man" or he needs to find a club that'll do that and he can go kick start his career. 

He strikes me as very much a confidence player and continuously being dropped in and out of the side just won't ever benefit him. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Have you seen a different stat than the xG of 7.07?

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

9.4 on FBref

6 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

https://footystats.org/players/zambia/patson-daka

maybe that included international and cup games 

You're both right to an extent. 

9.4 is xG, 7.1 is npxG (non penalty.)

Daka was in the 99th percentile for npxG per 90 minutes last season but the 45th percentile for non penalty goals. 

His finishing definitely was somewhat wayward this year, particularly after he came back from international duty, there's no arguing that and I never have. 

Edited by Finnegan

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Which is the first year that he's done that here and it came from missing several absolute sitters in a run from that howler st Leeds onwards. It definitely rocked his confidence. 

As I've said before, I totally can't defend them and you could absolutely see the stark difference in quality even at 38 between Vardy and Daka in that regard. 

But I still maintain Daka's all round game was a better fit for the system than Vards and I think we'd have had a less turgid start to the season if Daka hadn't begun the year in the dog house while Iheanacho was floundering a bit. 

What he needs now is either Cooper to come in and say "you know what, you're first choice this year, 100%, we will back you to be the man" or he needs to find a club that'll do that and he can go kick start his career. 

He strikes me as very much a confidence player and continuously being dropped in and out of the side just won't ever benefit him. 

Enzo really didn't help Daka during that period when literally everyone could see that he needing taking out of the side as like you say his confidence was absolutely shot

Maybe he was hoping he would score and that would sort him out? God knows but it definitely didn't help

Unless we do go out and buy a new number 1 striker I expect Daka will be our starting striker, I just hope he gets off to a good start if he is because it wont take long at all for fans to turn on him as even with the stats showing how effective he is, he is still very much a player who splits opinion on opposite ends of the scale

Edited by moore_94

Just now, moore_94 said:

Enzo really didn't help Daka during that period when literally everyone could see that he needing taking out of the side as like you say his confidence was absolutely shot

Maybe he was hoping he would score and that would sort him out? God knows but it definitely didn't help

Unless we do go out and buy a new number 1 striker I expect Daka will be our starting striker, I just hope he gets off to a good start if he is

I think our more expensive purchases will be Soule, a striker and a centre mid for half decent money. 

As you've pointed out a few times (I think it was you, I apologise if not) our amortisation as well as our wage bill have radically dropped. I think we'll spend more than some people imagine and it seems a striker will be on the list. 

We tend to hyper fixate on one transfer at a time. The amount of noise on Soule at the minute, I'm sure this is the deal we're actively working on and then it'll be on to the next name. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adster said:

Of course this has turned into yet ANOTHER Patson Daka debate. lol

Give it a rest, kids. 

I came on looking for an update and I thought I had clicked on the Daka thread by mistake.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Adster said:

Of course this has turned into yet ANOTHER Patson Daka debate. lol

Give it a rest, kids. 

If people stop using threads about EVERY other player to call Patson Daka shit then I'll stop using threads about EVERY other player to argue. 

lol

Trust me, I much preferred the days of using every topic on foxestalk to argue that Jason Koumas was the best British player of his generation.

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If people stop using threads about EVERY other player to call Patson Daka shit then I'll stop using threads about EVERY other player to argue. 

lol

Classic patson 😂

Edited by DezFox

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

He scored 7 goals and contributed 5 assists in 15 starts racking up 1086 minutes of football. This means he returned a goal every 0.58 lots of 90 minutes and a goal contribution (goal or assist) every 0.99 games. A goal a game. A better return than every other Championship player, in any position, to play more than a thousand minutes - except Jamie Vardy at 1.02.

Even for goals, he was the 7th most efficient striker in the league to qualify. For context, Jon Rowe was scoring a goal every 0.53 games, Adam Armstrong every 0.50 and Che Adams every 0.63.

But honestly if you want to quantify how he actually "fit" playing as a solo or "lone" (I hate this term) striker you want to look at more than his output. He's in the 76th percentile for passes attempted amongst strikers, the 92nd for pass completion, the 86th for touches in the penalty area and the team scored more goals per game when he started than when he didn't.

But most of all, I just absolutely loathe this idea that any modern striker "needs" a striker partner or can "only play in a two" or "can't play as a lone striker." There are no lone players on a football pitch and if there are, the manager is doing something very wrong. We didn't play a "lone" striker last year, we had one central forward yes but he was part of an attacking unit of five with two overlapping, extremely advanced midfielders for support as well as two extremely advanced wingers. Often, our strikers were the deepest of all of them, dropping in to collect from Vestergaard, Hermansen or Winks and start a move with the likes of KDH and Mavididi getting on their bike to fill the gap behind.

Never was Daka or Vardy or Iheanacho isolated and "alone" and both Daka and Vardy ended up really fitting and I'd say thriving in the shape by the end of the season. No striker "needs" another striker as a partner but ALL footballers need bodies around them if they're going to actually function. Our biggest problem under Rodgers is he became so terrified of our defensive frailty with no idea how to fix it that he increasingly restricted the number of bodies he'd allow to get forward and support whoever of Daka, Iheanacho or Vardy was left just stuck up front feeding off scraps. That was never the problem last year.

Great research and a well put together argument.

Just to be clear, I never said or suggested that "any modern striker "needs" a striker partner or can "only play in a two" or "can't play as a lone striker"". If you needed somewhere to vent that, fine, but that has nothing to do with my opinion on whether Daka specifically has shown evidence in being capable of leading the line for us going forward. Should I base that on my opinion of his performance last season? According to you, perhaps not, but we are all creatures of biases and I will acknowledge mine.

I'm not a Daka hater—far from it—and if you believe that he will do well this season as our main/leading/only striker on the pitch at that time/however you wish to describe it, then great! I'd love that to be the case. I just sadly cannot believe that will translate into success in the Premier League based on what I've seen last season. I am incredibly wary of looking at goal contribution stats after our experience with Iheanacho—another player I desperately wanted to do well and become Vardy's successor.

EDIT: Just curious—why if you wanted to know my reasoning, as well as my evidence, did you ignore the rest of my reasoning by only quoting the bit about goals?

Edited by CloudFox

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Unless we do go out and buy a new number 1 striker I expect Daka will be our starting striker, I just hope he gets off to a good start if he is because it wont take long at all for fans to turn on him as even with the stats showing how effective he is, he is still very much a player who splits opinion on opposite ends of the scale

Even with a points deduction I still thought we had hope but if Daka is our starting striker I’ll take that back. With Daka as our main man we will be well and truly fcuked. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

lol

Reveal hidden contents

Trust me, I much preferred the days of using every topic on foxestalk to argue that Jason Koumas was the best British player of his generation.

Or, just don't bite lol

I know it's not the patson thread but I truly believe given a real go in the side and playing to his strengths he'll bang in 15+ goals next season! I'm forever an optimist 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fox 66 said:

I know it's not the patson thread but I truly believe given a real go in the side and playing to his strengths he'll bang in 15+ goals next season! I'm forever an optimist 

Fookin hell dude, ive taken crack, cocaine, pcp and numerous pill erc and would never think that.

Mate, your next level shit.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Fookin hell dude, ive taken crack, cocaine, pcp and numerous pill erc and would never think that.

Mate, your next level shit.

That's a lot of one night mate.