Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Caleb Okoli Signs

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Can’t make someone bigger or improve their physicality?
There are endless examples of players that have baulked up from smaller frames.

Poorly word on my part, of course you can bulk up.

But you can't make someone 5' 11", become 6' 3" or make some average pace, become rapid.

Take Luke Thomas, he's decent technically but he's never going to have the physicality to be a top level fullback, no matter how hard his trains. You can make marginal gains but not massive changes.

Some things are just genetics, Usain Bolt wasn't just a record breaker because he trained hard, he had the right genetics to make it possible.

Do you think you could coach Jannick to be quicker? 

But you can train muscle memory we repartition and coach people to make better decisions. Better decison come with experience and improved understanding.

Edited by coolhandfox

1 hour ago, VLC86 said:

We clearly identified that we lacked a strong defender, and thought a young lad with a chance to make a profit would be worth the £8m (£12m is the add one allegedly).

Cut the guy some slack, he’s played 90 minutes of competitive football in another country for the first time.

Interesting how you are such a Rudkin advocate considering his length track record but this guy…

Once again, a basic failure in reading and comprehension. Please do find the part where I’ve criticised the player. 

I’ve merely asked what it is about the player the club and the manager wanted, nothing more and nothing less. We had a plethora of centre backs, so I’d like to know specifically what made us want to spend a considerable amount on him. The same goes with all players actually.

I’d also very much like to point out the part where I’ve advocated for Jon Rudkin. I’ve consistently said he takes a proportion of the blame alongside others at the club for the mess they made. Just because I don’t get on the pathetic little band wagon that has to blame every little thing on him, or just blatantly blame him for stuff that’s clearly not his remit, doesn’t mean I think he’s doing a grand job. 

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Once again, a basic failure in reading and comprehension. Please do find the part where I’ve criticised the player. 

I’ve merely asked what it is about the player the club and the manager wanted, nothing more and nothing less. We had a plethora of centre backs, so I’d like to know specifically what made us want to spend a considerable amount on him. The same goes with all players actually.

I’d also very much like to point out the part where I’ve advocated for Jon Rudkin. I’ve consistently said he takes a proportion of the blame alongside others at the club for the mess they made. Just because I don’t get on the pathetic little band wagon that has to blame every little thing on him, or just blatantly blame him for stuff that’s clearly not his remit, doesn’t mean I think he’s doing a grand job. 

So you there wasn’t any hint of you suggesting the player isn’t good enough to play for us or we shouldn’t have signed him? If so, my bad.

6 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

So you there wasn’t any hint of you suggesting the player isn’t good enough to play for us or we shouldn’t have signed him? If so, my bad.

No there wasn’t. I give players time to settle in and actually play before passing any judgement. I’m genuinely interested in what we saw.

Maresca said loads of times we lacked pace, so I’d understand if it was just that. If anything it’s as much a comment on the total lack of any decent questions posed by the press to delve into things.

It’s a lot of our budget, so I’d hope they were for the here and now. And going to add something to the team this season… if they don’t start, you wonder why bother now when we have other pressing issues.

• Like 1

It feels like we had allocated around £10mil for a centreback this summer, we went through our list of targets and asked around and Atalanta snapped our hand off for the money offered.

Then we went through with it as it was easy business and another position off the checklist. If he really is "one for the future" then we should have just stuck with Ben Nelson. As a club we need to be smarter with our transfers and actually put some thought into whether they are better than what we already have available.

22 hours ago, honeybradger said:

It feels like we had allocated around £10mil for a centreback this summer, we went through our list of targets and asked around and Atalanta snapped our hand off for the money offered.

Then we went through with it as it was easy business and another position off the checklist. If he really is "one for the future" then we should have just stuck with Ben Nelson. As a club we need to be smarter with our transfers and actually put some thought into whether they are better than what we already have available.

Pretty sure we put some thought into the transfer. He's currently a better player than Nelson too, so gives us more options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Based on what? All of Nelsons premier league experience?

Having seen them both play. Nelson is a rolls Royce, arguably Okoli has experience at a higher level but I believe Nelson could have comfortably played in the Premier League this season. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I’m not sure he is conclusively a better player than Nelson.

Either way, with Vestergaard, Coady and Faes, in fact even with just the first two on the books currently, he would not be near the first XI and needs games, so a loan if eminently sensible.

Edited by Dahnsouff

Just now, westernpark said:

I’m not sure he is conclusively a better player than Nelson.

On known evidence, such as appearances for Atalanta and Italy U21s, he is. Like when some didn't want us to sign Buonanotte because we had Alves. Buonanotte is far more developed than Alves.

3 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Based on the fact that Nelson has only made 5 appearances for Leicester. Couldn't get a game in the championship either. Hasn't played for England U21s. I'm not saying Nelson can't progress into a better player, but currently I'd rather play Okoli.

1 minute ago, Viva said:

On known evidence, such as appearances for Atalanta and Italy U21s, he is. Like when some didn't want us to sign Buonanotte because we had Alves. Buonanotte is far more developed than Alves.

But that’s not evidence of him being a better player. Alves hasn’t played more than an hour of senior football, so I don’t believe the two situations are comparable.

22 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I know it’s a symptom of having little faith in the club which is understandable but this is a bit wild.

1 minute ago, Viva said:

Not developing your academy players means others see there is no pathway so why would they stay here. Nelson has been around the 1st team since he was 16 and the club have done little for him... They bring in another player to play in front of him. What is his incentive to stay at this club if someone comes knocking? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Either way, with Vestergaard, Coady and Faes, in fact even with just the first two on the books currently, he would not be near the first XI and needs games, so a loan if eminently sensible.

Yea I’m pleased he’s going out on loan! He won’t play much here unfortunately and neither will Okoli. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

All of Okoli’s premier league experience? I’ve seen them both play(Okoli last season) and I believe Nelson is the better option, for higher ceiling and also being no worse than Okoli. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, westernpark said:

Yea I’m pleased he’s going out on loan! He won’t play much here unfortunately and neither will Okoli. 

I would be way more concerned with the club if they just sold him or worse kept him here as fifth backup or some such. I have high hopes for Ben as a Leicester first XI player, but he needs experiences we are currently not able or comfortable to provide.

1 minute ago, Stormfox said:

Not developing your academy players means others see there is no pathway so why would they stay here. Nelson has been around the 1st team since he was 16 and the club have done little for him... They bring in another player to play in front of him. What is his incentive to stay at this club if someone comes knocking? 

If you're good enough you will get opportunities. You need to earn your spot in the team.

7 minutes ago, westernpark said:

All of Okoli’s premier league experience? I’ve seen them both play(Okoli last season) and I believe Nelson is the better option, for higher ceiling and also being no worse than Okoli. 

Why did you answer twice. Strange, but anyway, Nelson has alot of potential but has shown nothing much in the champ let alone the prem. Okoli has played in Serie A so let's not just write him off after 1 game in favour of a kid who hasn't shown anything that special.

14 minutes ago, Viva said:

Based on the fact that Nelson has only made 5 appearances for Leicester. Couldn't get a game in the championship either. Hasn't played for England U21s. I'm not saying Nelson can't progress into a better player, but currently I'd rather play Okoli.

You've missed my point, I agree with you and was asking why Nelson is the better option 

11 minutes ago, Stormfox said:

Other then coached, developed, paid and given him his debut.