Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Caleb Okoli Signs

17 minutes ago, Viva said:

If you're good enough you will get opportunities. You need to earn your spot in the team.

I don’t think this is the case with Alves and Nelson. I believe they are good enough. They’re not being given minutes because they don’t have enough minutes. It’s stupidly conservative and ridiculous. If we’re buying players this year to play ahead of them when we have massive financial issues you have to question whether there is any route into the first team for them. We’re holding them back. 

Edited by An Away Move
  • Like 2

Just now, An Away Move said:

I don’t think this is the case with Alves and Nelson. I believe they are good enough. They’re not being minutes because they don’t have enough minutes. It’s stupidly conservative and ridiculous. If we’re buying players this year to play ahead of them when we have massive financial issues you have to question whether there is any route into the first team for them. We’re holding them back. 

So you think Alves is a better option than Buonanotte and Bilal even though he's never started a match for us? Unfortunately his injury probably cost him the chance of some experience last season in the Championship which would have been a far better option. It's really not the time to be gambling on him now, unless he's showing to be a class above in training. Nelson again is a good prospect, but there are other options in the CB position that are better. Nelson didn't look quite ready to me when he last played for us. A loan could give him some great experience. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Viva said:

So you think Alves is a better option than Buonanotte and Bilal even though he's never started a match for us? Unfortunately his injury probably cost him the chance of some experience last season in the Championship which would have been a far better option. It's really not the time to be gambling on him now, unless he's showing to be a class above in training. Nelson again is a good prospect, but there are other options in the CB position that are better. Nelson didn't look quite ready to me when he last played for us. A loan could give him some great experience. 

I think we just don’t know. The point is we need to take a risk and see. 
All three are young talented lads. The clubs were Buonanotte and Bilal were at before took a risk and played them when they were youngsters. We seemingly daren’t. It’s not like Alves and Nelson are new to the game of football! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VLC86 said:

I know it’s a symptom of having little faith in the club which is understandable but this is a bit wild.

I am not sure that it is as wild as you are saying. If there was are strong arguments for signing him then I wouldn't mind hearing them.

He's currently not good enough to displace Faes or Vestergaard, and they are hardly knockouts at this level either. He costed too much in a transfer window where we needed to spend our money wisely on improving our team. Especially when we had Coady and Nelson ready to play the backup role for us.

All signs point too very little thought being put into this transfer by the club. Yes he might come good in a few years but so can Nelson and Nelson has the higher ceiling.

12 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I am not sure that it is as wild as you are saying. If there was are strong arguments for signing him then I wouldn't mind hearing them.

He's currently not good enough to displace Faes or Vestergaard, and they are hardly knockouts at this level either. He costed too much in a transfer window where we needed to spend our money wisely on improving our team. Especially when we had Coady and Nelson ready to play the backup role for us.

All signs point too very little thought being put into this transfer by the club. Yes he might come good in a few years but so can Nelson and Nelson has the higher ceiling.

And there you have it. In the world of PSR, we need to be buying young players for as cheap of a fee as possible in the hope they improve massively and we can sell them on.

I also think he maybe offers something a bit different. Vestergaard is a good defender and ball player but lacks the obvious, Wout is progressive but sometimes erratic and this guy is likely the muscle.

At £8m (rising to whatever it was) this is far from our worst signing in the last 5 years. His wages will also be quite cheap as Atalanta really don’t pay that well so I say give the lad a chance and get behind him.

42 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

And there you have it. In the world of PSR, we need to be buying young players for as cheap of a fee as possible in the hope they improve massively and we can sell them on.

I also think he maybe offers something a bit different. Vestergaard is a good defender and ball player but lacks the obvious, Wout is progressive but sometimes erratic and this guy is likely the muscle.

At £8m (rising to whatever it was) this is far from our worst signing in the last 5 years. His wages will also be quite cheap as Atalanta really don’t pay that well so I say give the lad a chance and get behind him.

I dont think this is correct as he was not cheap for the player that he is. If we do sell him I think we will struggle to get our money back let alone make a profit. In Italy he was considered a €5mil-€6mil player which is around half what we have paid, not very shrewd business.

The buy low sell high model only works if teams with money to splash are interested in him. I dont think his ceiling is high enough for teams with enough cash to spend the £15mil+ on a centreback that's required to make a profit will go for him.

8 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Why did you answer twice. Strange, but anyway, Nelson has alot of potential but has shown nothing much in the champ let alone the prem. Okoli has played in Serie A so let's not just write him off after 1 game in favour of a kid who hasn't shown anything that special.

I believe Nelson has shown some very good attributes in his Championship appearances and also his game in the fa cup vs Millwall. The game is about opinions and I think Okoli looks useful but Nelson looks like someone who could go to the very top. His passing is excellent and the way he moves off the ball for a big guy, is really good. I think he could have stepped up this season but look forward to him getting a loan, now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Just been named in the Italy squad so probably not the duffer that some are making out, maybe just maybe when he has settled we have got ourselves a good one 

Genuinely chuffed for the lad. Really good news. All our centre backs are now full internationals. 

Hopefully he gets a cap, and it gives him a real shot in the arm of confidence 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Just been named in the Italy squad so probably not the duffer that some are making out, maybe just maybe when he has settled we have got ourselves a good one 

Yeah, I think the criticism of him and the signing has been very overdone on here.

He’s still young and learning the game and this is his first move abroad, so he may need some bedding in time - especially with a position like centre back where it’s as much about the partnership you make with your other defensive players as it is with your own play.

He’s got some pretty solid defenders to learn from too, so the potential for him to develop and improve on what we’ve seen so far is obvious.

• Like 3

On 29/08/2024 at 22:59, An Away Move said:

I think we just don’t know. The point is we need to take a risk and see. 
All three are young talented lads. The clubs were Buonanotte and Bilal were at before took a risk and played them when they were youngsters. We seemingly daren’t. It’s not like Alves and Nelson are new to the game of football! 

Buonanotte has literally been loaned out?

Duran murdered him for their 2nd goal and he looked iffy at times. But he also were a lot in the right place at the right time. Potential is there, but for the moment I am not super convinced, but none in our defense convince me to be honest, apart from Mads.

had a decent game, bit ropey with his passing at times, need to see the second goal back but not wholly impressed with any of the defending in that. good athleticism, marshalled Watkins well, and that recovery tackle to stop I think McGinn getting 1v1 was fantastic (serious questions about kristensens positioning for that to even be necessary mind)

1 minute ago, Jonezy said:

Duran murdered him for their 2nd goal and he looked iffy at times. But he also were a lot in the right place at the right time. Potential is there, but for the moment I am not super convinced, but none in our defense convince me to be honest, apart from Mads.

That concerned me 

he was actually holding onto Duran when the cross came in - either challenge or make sure he can’t get any power on the header