Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2024 FINAL THREAD: SPAIN vs ENGLAND Sunday, July 14th, 8:00PM

Just now, Lionator said:

Talent alone though? Those squads were class and Joe Cole was more than adequate in that position

Maybe - but mean, look how class many left-footed players we have now.

So many that we don’t bother putting any of them on the left of midfield 😂

I think Southgate can leave now with his head held high. Ultimately his record in terms of numbers is up there and yes England aren't in the habit of going all the way. Who gets the job next is a more interesting question but it's not for us to answer. 

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

451510945_788673343468164_82170296249972

League Cup runner up.

Third in a two horse race.

Second in a one horse race.

Champions League runner up.

League Cup runner up.

Euro 2020 runner up.

German Super Cup runner up.

Bundesliga runner up - at a club who had won 12 Bundesligas in a row!!!

Euro 2024 runner up.

The. Man. Is. Cursed.

He played all his career apart from one season at Tottenham. And without him it's likely that Spurs wouldn't have got to those finals, or as high in the league. 

13 minutes ago, Sly said:

Uruguay - Never beaten them in a competitive game 

France - Nope, unless you count La Tournoi

Italy - Nope, unless you count La Tournoi

Brazil - Nope, we’ve only beaten them 4 times as well! 

Germany - Nope.

Argentina - Nope. 

Spain - Once, 8th May 1968! 

Crazy that! 

Should say that Spain were not previous World Cup winners when we beat them in 68 

• Like 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

Sorry but Cole, Terry, Campbell, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney are better than the players we have now.

No need to apologise, was a genuine question - I can’t remember :D

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Fixed

This. Vardy was (is) a better, more successful and proper team player. It's not just been unlucky or cursed. Kane is simply not good enough to win trophies. There's nothing wrong with that, we just need to acknowledge and accept the facts. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind if Southgate stayed in some capacity - psychologist maybe  - because he has given us a more coherent and united squad than he inherited. But bloody hell he needs some assistance - from someone who can tell him "OI - SOUTHGATE - NO!!".

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Southgate’s a decent bloke, he looked genuinely distraught at the end and I feel sorry for him. He’s made us a better tournament team, a more cohesive unit, more resilient and focussed at penalties. But he should step aside now, the Euros in 28 is time for us to get in the habit of playing the brand of football our players can play. Kane should step aside too. 

A very fair summary. I've complained about him a lot but you have to say he's created a really strong team spirit amongst a previously dispirite team. But he is very lacking tactically against the very best coaches and teams. 

“We didn’t keep the ball well enough”

“We’ve had physical issues throughout the tournament”

”They didn’t create man clear cut chances”

Think it’s time to leave. He’s out of his depth 

My opinion of Southgate is that he is good, but he's not good enough at the highest level. He's obviously brilliant at building a culture, but tactically....he'll always fall just short. It's totally hypothetical, (obviously) but if someone like Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti were in charge, there's another 5-10% in this team.

Edited by Tielemans63

Wonder where the next star midfield player comes from for us. Jude clearly has to sit further forward, but someone to push Rice and another to sit next to him.

Arise Samuel Braybrook

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

He played all his career apart from one season at Tottenham. And without him it's likely that Spurs wouldn't have got to those finals, or as high in the league. 

This is a very simplified approach/logic. Spurs had at times the quality to win a trophy. They didn't because this guy was nowhere to be found in all games that mattered most. It happened also with Bayern, it's happening all the time with England. It's not a coincidence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

A very fair summary. I've complained about him a lot but you have to say he's created a really strong team spirit amongst a previously dispirite team. But he is very lacking tactically against the very best coaches and teams. 

This is a good assessment. Respect the man. England have been better than for a long time despite the haters and he does deserve some credit. We should get someone new in now, not reactively, not to tear up everything Southgate has done but to build on and improve it. Keep him in post until his contract is out in December to consult and hand over smoothly.

That game was weirdly the best I’ve seen England in a while, I thought. Upped our tempo in response to a good team. Took a side who will go down as one of the best tournament sides for a while nearly all the way. No shame in that defeat, even though it stings.

• Haha 1

After we scored (and before) - they were on the ropes. We looked like winners. Then it all when to ****. We looked like we were playing for penalties. Maybe getting good at penalties is the worst thing that happened to us.  As an aside - I thought Spain's winning goal was a thing of absolute beauty. Exactly the sort of goal I love. You can't defend against that.

• Like 1

Just now, trabuch said:

After we scored (and before) - they were on the ropes. We looked like winners. Then it all when to ****. We looked like we were playing for penalties. Maybe getting good at penalties is the worst thing that happened to us.  As an aside - I thought Spain's winning goal was a thing of absolute beauty. Exactly the sort of goal I love. You can't defend against that.

It really wasn't, your playing wingbacks with a right winger playing right wing back.

Woefully out of position for both goal, sold walker down the river twice.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

It really wasn't, your playing wingbacks with a right winger playing right wing back.

Woefully out of position for both goal, sold walker down the river twice.

Because they doubled up on him. It was a great goal. Play the team you are up against.