Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2024 FINAL THREAD: SPAIN vs ENGLAND Sunday, July 14th, 8:00PM

My bitterness is done, I’m amazed a useless manager like southgate gets this job..  Martinez is the same useless. Spain fully deserved the win and the only team that wanted to play football throughout the tournament. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Flynny said:

This is a good assessment. Respect the man. England have been better than for a long time despite the haters and he does deserve some credit. We should get someone new in now, not reactively, not to tear up everything Southgate has done but to build on and improve it. Keep him in post until his contract is out in December to consult and hand over smoothly.

That game was weirdly the best I’ve seen England in a while, I thought. Upped our tempo in response to a good team. Took a side who will go down as one of the best tournament sides for a while nearly all the way. No shame in that defeat, even though it stings.

I must have been watching another game then. You're just accepting mediocrity and you sound like an FA technocrat/politician. 

You can also wait for a couple of days and probably the bond/spirit claim will be debunked by some players. 

• Like 1

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

My bitterness is done, I’m amazed a useless manager like southgate gets this job..  Martinez is the same useless 

I think Martinez is worse. How much money are these ***** getting?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Because they doubled up on him. It was a great goal. Play the team you are up against.

Walker got double up because Saka was doesn't know how to play wingback.

Simple overload nothing special.

19 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Not particularly sure the stat that tells you anything really though.

Knockout games in the Euros were very few until 1996.

World Cup format only really opened up post 1990 as well. 

We’ve beat a few of those in group stages when they were far more competitive than now. Uruguay we’ve played three times competitively - 1954, 1966, and 2012. Only really the latter probably says where we are  

It’s a damning stat.As soon we come up against a team with a bit of nouse and a striker who knows where the back of the net is we are out.The 86 WC had a round of 16.There’s been loads of chances to correct this woeful record.

Just want to say Spain fully deserved it, well done best team no doubt… my bitterness has gone now. What frustrates me is why a team with the best players can’t get the job done, southgate is lucky because I could get England to a final and without the scares 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

4 draws in 90 minutes in 6 games got us to the final. Spain had 1 game go to Extra Time and even then were dangerous. 

Southgate saying having 1 less day to prep is just an awful excuse. 

We were good for probably 5 minutes of the whole tournament and were reliant on screamers. 

So your going to ignore the first 45 mins v Netherlands ? 

I agree we were poor, but we weren't the only ones.....France, Italy, The Dutch, Portugal, Germany as hosts for starters. 

Spain were far better than any side. Deserved winners.

3 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

So your going to ignore the first 45 mins v Netherlands ? 

I agree we were poor, but we weren't the only ones.....France, Italy, The Dutch, Portugal, Germany as hosts for starters. 

Spain were far better than any side. Deserved winners.

But we do have the best players, honestly look what we can bring on as subs because they are the best players lol southgate just benched them 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Walker got double up because Saka was doesn't know how to play wingback.

Simple overload nothing special.

If you watch it back, our defensive line was too deep.

It allowed one pass into the midfield with no pressure, time to turn - further one a little further up - then one more into the striker.

Walker, already tucked in, comes in further, to be done by the ball out wide.

Early cross and good finish - and yes, good play all round by Spain, but a deep defensive line allowed Spain too much space.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It allowed one pass into the midfield with no pressure, time to turn - further one a little further up - then one more into the striker.

Early cross and good finish - and yes, good play all round by Spain, but a deep defensive line allowed Spain too much space.

I think England played too deep all through the tournament 

Spain were the stand out team throughout the tournament, but who is going to remember anyone else.  Certainly not the other big nations like France, Germany, Portugal, The Netherlands, Italy or England.  To say the overall standard was mediocre is an understatement.  How much of that was down to the coaching, or a genuine lack of world- class talent. 

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Yes - it was a good goal - a great goal in a final. We got worked out. I like to see that. (sorry - I just do. I like football)

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I think it was a lovely goal. Exactly how a good football team should play. It was beautiful because Spain worked us out. That is what I like about football. When we won the league no one had a clue what to to do. (Vardy - absolute ****ing legend for us. Could have been for England)

Would've been a travesty if we'd won the whole thing. Nothing performance in what's been nothing more than the illusion of a good tournament. Bailed out almost entirely by luck and individual quality. As ever, the day we hit genuine quality, we're found wanting.

Time to start acting like a top team if we want the top honours.

4 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

At this point I believe Kane is cursed. 

Saka bless him looks utterly dejected. Pickford won't be at Everton next season for sure. 

Spain can be a late tournament force for a few years now. 

There needs to be a quite honest addressing of this point now. This isn't some fluke. He's a quality player, he's a very good goalscorer, but I don't think his lack of trophy is some black magic fluke. Six finals, not a single shot on target, no goals, no wins. This isn't happening by accident. I hear every excuse made for him but maybe he's just not quite the talisman we think.

We have better players than Kane in this team. It shouldn't be about playing him at all costs. It felt the penny dropped somewhat with the Watkins Netherlands goal (Leicester head on but I can't ignore the thought that Vardy could've produced very similar if given the chance). However it was just the usual Kane final performance. A total passenger.

I'd have him in England squads but I don't think his place as a starter should be secure. Toney & Watkins had better tournaments despite a fraction of the minutes.

A team (country) that is inherently conservative, managed by a defender who was scarred by his personal miss.

A media that increases the expectation and increases the requirment for careful management.

Players who have grown up being drilled with, dont lose, rather than, win at any cost.

A  belif that you can win competitions with defence rather than attack

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

What mentalist ever watches ITV football coverage by choice? lol

lol my bbc stream was 2 minutes behind and very choppy.... ITV was 1 minute behind and near perfect :)