Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

England problem

Guardian:

Campaign after campaign has been hobbled by English football’s chronic inability to produce the midfielder who can simply and productively take the ball, keep possession, offer control in midfield. “We have been short of these types of players for seven or eight years, if I’m honest,” Southgate lamented before the tournament. “At times, that has had an effect on the way we have been able to play.”

Is there anyone we know who can do that? 

Edited by alfox13

Winks did well for England a few years ago but he lacks the physicality to progress the ball in the hurly burly of the modern day midfield 

he’s fine at the base of the patterns as a six but the player Southgate refers to is Philips of a few years ago who was able to do that and also get forward to support - a hybrid 6 and 8.  mainoo is looking like he will develop into that player. 

• Like 4

I don't understand this thread.

Are we suggesting we have a player who should be in the England team? 

Also the timing is strange, because we've picked up in the last couple of games and are in the final so there isn't so much of a 'problem'. 

2 hours ago, ScotFox1 said:

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought this was about supporting Spain in the final so that Kane remains behind Vardy on winners medals!!  :ph34r:

Don't worry he will, we can support England as much as we like, there's no way England beat Spain.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Winks did well for England a few years ago but he lacks the physicality to progress the ball in the hurly burly of the modern day midfield 

he’s fine at the base of the patterns as a six but the player Southgate refers to is Philips of a few years ago who was able to do that and also get forward to support - a hybrid 6 and 8.  mainoo is looking like he will develop into that player. 

Never saw much of this mythical Phillips number 8 work tbh. He liked to sit deep, ping the odd quarterback pass but mainly the good old short back pass to a centre half or a sideways pass to Rice.