Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattFox

Cold Hard Truth

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve lived through about six ‘golden generations’ and none of them have won anything.

I dunno if it’s unrealistic expectations or if we’re just not as good as we think we are.

Serial international losers.

Take 66 out of it and we've never been that good

Just now, EastAnglianFox said:

Bit Bizarre here tbf, I’ve much stated even though I’m Scottish I’d have very much liked England to win. 

Just seems to be a feeling of “meh” here out and about in Norwich right now, groans at full time but very much back to normal within 20 minutes. 

Same here in Birmingham was way less hype than 2018 and 2021

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I’ve lived through about six ‘golden generations’ and none of them have won anything.

I dunno if it’s unrealistic expectations or if we’re just not as good as we think we are.

I'll get slaughtered for saying it as we've made finals and semi finals with this lot (beating shit sides) but not one of these lot gets in ahead of the likes of John Terry, Ashley Cole, Rooney etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think I’m about the same age as you being 51 but I would have to say in my opinion this is the best pool of England players I’ve seen, at least from a attacking point of view. But you’re right, I think we all know deep down we aren’t as good as other teams but get carried away with the hype! 

• Like 1

Yes Gareth your safety first stuff gets you so far but we arrive at big games with no fluency or powerful momentum after submitting the inferior opposition in earlier rounds to death by suffocation, when your bar is set to doing just enough you can’t afford an off day against better opposition.If your standards are higher from day 1 it’s a bigger and unimaginable drop to collapse at the final hurdle, we didn’t do that as we had never reached full stride all tournament.

4 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Yes Gareth your safety first stuff gets you so far but we arrive at big games with no fluency or powerful momentum after submitting the inferior opposition in earlier rounds to death by suffocation, when your bar is set to doing just enough you can’t afford an off day against better opposition.If your standards are higher from day 1 it’s a bigger and unimaginable drop to collapse at the final hurdle, we didn’t do that as we had never reached full stride all tournament.

Yes no sustained performance in any match

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxdiamond said:

Take 66 out of it and we've never been that good

Agree .

82 was perhaps out fairest outcome. Wins v (what turned out to be 2 years later a brilliant) France, recent euros winners Czechs, draws to hosts Spain and an awesome West German team (Keegan missing a.sitter 10 mins from time  to send us through)

86 we were garbage. 88 garbage. 90 largely outplayed by Cameroon. 92 total garbage. 98 unlucky tbf.  2000, 2002,2006, 2012 and 2016 garbage.  

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

It was an awful tournament barr the first week, Spain and I think special credits to Georgia, Albania and Turkey.

But, that's where modern football is at.

Germany and Austria were also very entertaining. 

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

For this generation, they are not as good as we think we are. We think they are better than what they are because we watch them every week in the Premier League, Foden an example of that. Might be good for Man City but in a competition of players better than him he has done nothing for England.

Doesn’t help we have a manager that is cautious first, mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

82 was perhaps out fairest outcome. Wins v (what turned out to be 2 years later a brilliant) France, recent euros winners Czechs, draws to hosts Spain and an awesome West German team (Keegan missing a.sitter 10 mins from time  to send us through)

86 we were garbage. 88 garbage. 90 largely outplayed by Cameroon. 92 total garbage. 98 unlucky tbf.  2000, 2002,2006, 2012 and 2016 garbage.  

And even before my time we did nothing in the days of Finney, Matthews and Lofthouse etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

82 was weird. Knocked out without losing a game thanks to the weird 3 team group system FIFA adopted for the 2nd round.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

98 we were awful in the groups though

If Hoddle didn’t mess around we’d have never played Argentina at that stage

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

2002 we got knocked out by one of the best teams of all time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

During that time period, every other major European country has won a tournament apart from England.

We're the Spurs of International football.

• Like 2

thing is, Southgate is stubborn to a fault, you could see it wasnt working with Foden in the team, but he still plays him, same with kane,

the best players dont always make the best team, for me we look alot better with kane out of the team, 

he might have done "well" in some eyes but for me hes got a lot to answer for, playing a not match fit Kane every single game, 

I stand by the fact if we had big sam in charge we'd have won at least 1 of these finals

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

During that time period, every other major European country has won a tournament apart from England.

France and Spain were a nothing nations before the 80’s and are miles ahead of us now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

82 was weird. Knocked out without losing a game thanks to the weird 3 team group system FIFA adopted for the 2nd round.

82 was also weird because Brazil never won it and that was possibly the best team I've ever seen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The first game of football I can ever remember watching was England v Argentina in Mexico 86.

To think I've witnessed Leicester win every major domestic trophy, whilst England have won nothing, is absolutely remarkable. 

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 4

Just now, MattFox said:

France and Spain were a nothing nations before the 80’s and are miles ahead of us now

Yep, we need to accept that the rest of the world have caught up and overtaken us. We ain't that special really.