Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattFox

Cold Hard Truth

53 minutes ago, filbertway said:

England fans left baffled by corner routine that ends up back with Jordan Pickford as they brand it 'criminal' | The Sun

This was dead entertaining.

There's no correct way to play football, but people ultimately fall in love with the game because it's entertaining and passionate.

Too many coaches in the game trying to such both of those qualities out of the game in their pursuit of edging the percentages.

Yeh checkmate with giving me a Southgate clip lol, hopefully no more of that. 
Agree with paragraph 2 and hence football is now in a record boom period. For every chuntering moaner on here, there’s plenty of new fans coming into the game because of games like Spain v france, according to figures anyway 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattFox said:

We were awful all tournament relied on individual moments and had the easiest draw going 

right thanks, I felt against the Dutch we were actually decent and when southgate decided to play the right players, palmer and Watkins we looked good… anyway southgate needs to resign, no club in the PL or Championship would genuinely consider him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree .

82 was perhaps out fairest outcome. Wins v (what turned out to be 2 years later a brilliant) France, recent euros winners Czechs, draws to hosts Spain and an awesome West German team (Keegan missing a.sitter 10 mins from time  to send us through)

86 we were garbage. 88 garbage. 90 largely outplayed by Cameroon. 92 total garbage. 98 unlucky tbf.  2000, 2002,2006, 2012 and 2016 garbage.  

Cameroon now playing in Europe competition?? That’s fantastic, 

• Haha 1

I’m not going to say a bad word about any of the players… they are stars and that is what is different to 2028 when Southgate come in. It’s been another disappointing campaign under him and we should be looking for someone who is a winner not a loser 

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

We try and be ugly winners and only manage the ugly part.

Stretch to say that we try and win ugly

He was on the bench writing his resignation speech against Slovakia

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I’m not going to say a bad word about any of the players… they are stars and that is what is different to 2028 when Southgate come in. It’s been another disappointing campaign under him and we should be looking for someone who is a winner not a loser 

Kane. Clearly holding every team he has ever played for back. Leicester ditched him. Next thing you know - we're winning the league. And that twat is finishing third. If I was his psychologist I'd run a mile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

We try and be ugly winners and only manage the ugly part.

Who cares croatia group stage elimination and England at the final..  it’s almost like the spurs fans complaining about possession and points gained over 3 seasons 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Who cares croatia group stage elimination and England at the final..  it’s almost like the spurs fans complaining about possession and points gained over 3 seasons 

You can't really play that card without a trophy. England failed.

The cold, hard truth is that Spain are a better side, and were the better side last night. Southgate needed to come up with something special to beat them and he didn't, because he is good but not great.

The other cold, hard truth is that his loyalty has cost him. When he happened on the 3-4-3 it was pretty clear that every player bar Harry Kane looked more comfortable in that system. Kane looked utterly lost. I'm not sure he was even fully fit. Southgate should have been ruthless and stopped picking him. Having to hook him an hour in, in the last two matches, was he himself admitting that it just doesn't work. Never looked like working 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

The cold, hard truth is that Spain are a better side, and were the better side last night. Southgate needed to come up with something special to beat them and he didn't, because he is good but not great.

The other cold, hard truth is that his loyalty has cost him. When he happened on the 3-4-3 it was pretty clear that every player bar Harry Kane looked more comfortable in that system. Kane looked utterly lost. I'm not sure he was even fully fit. Southgate should have been ruthless and stopped picking him. Having to hook him an hour in, in the last two matches, was he himself admitting that it just doesn't work. Never looked like working 

i wouldnt even call him that tbf, if hes good hes certainly on the lower end bordering on alright/average; he only got the job cos it fell into his lap so to speak with the whole big sam stuff, that game when we lost 4-0 at home to hungary showed it all really.

hes been save by alot of individual brilliance if you really look at it, he's afraid to rattle the cages, keep playing the same players so much loyalty to the ones under performing yet again

the likes of Gordon, Wharton, Eze, Watkins i believe would have done better than some starters, 

as a whole for me, this tournament needs to be a changing of the guard so to speak, Southgate needs to go and someone whos got the balls to actually drop players etc

but its the FA, cant wait for a safe appointment

• Like 1

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

So to recap. It is obvious that Kane was not fit but picked anyway. Trippier was played in most games because Shaw not fit. Not sure Shaw is that good anyway but at least he is a left back albeit limited.

Why isn't he pressed on this point? That's disgraceful imo and shows that some players are bigger than the team. We need a manager who is strong enough to make the big decisions 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt said:

It was an awful tournament barr the first week, Spain and I think special credits to Georgia, Albania and Turkey.

But, that's where modern football is at.

Getting close to old man talk.

Lord knows some of the tournaments in the 80s and 90s were pretty dreadful. 

This is classic international football - with the 00's and 10's giving us a handful of exciting/excellent teams and decent stories, but otherwise pretty mediocre or underwhelming quality on show.

I'll have more respect for Southgate if he calls it a day. He can't take us any further and despite his obvious shortcomings he has done some things well. It takes a strong person to admit they're not the right man for the job

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

So to recap. It is obvious that Kane was not fit but picked anyway. Trippier was played in most games because Shaw not fit. Not sure Shaw is that good anyway but at least he is a left back albeit limited.

Add in a manager not brave enough to make tough decisions before or during the match to affect the outcome! Ivan Toneys body language backs this up when being subbed on in the 88th minute again and at the end when Southgate gives him a hug!

• Like 1

The apathy that England lose again is what wrong with the mindset.

These players are some of the best on the planet.

When they attack they look world class.

But to play good in 5 minutes spells and then not kill a game off speaks volumes.

They had the upper hand when palmer scored but let Spain dominate again.

I would be very p1ssed off if Southgate stays on.

He may have got England to back to back finals but with these players they should be winning.

However  like Matfox stated they were poor throughout and relied on a few moments to get them through( Judes world class bicycle kick, dodgy penalty, pickford saves, penalties v swiss) hardly inspiring!

I can't help but think with Klopp in charge we'd have won the tournament. Southgate didn't win anything as a player or manager, I Heard him interviewed on Saturday morning and he said getting to semis and finals was an achievement. That's a loser mentality.

Even if the FA replace him it will probably be with Potter, another with a similar "not won anything" record and we'll be having the same conversation in ten years time.

• Like 1

Now that we failed to shithouse the tournament, it would have been better in hindsight if we did crash out to Slovakia and Southgate given his marching orders.

Unfortunately the smokescreen has been created again and we'll be wasting one of our best generation of players with a flawed manager. 

Bang average/underwhelming/under-performing sides have won the Euros before (Greece 2004, Portugal 2016, Italy 2021) but I imagine they weren't lead by a failed Middlesbrough manager.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Why isn't he pressed on this point? That's disgraceful imo and shows that some players are bigger than the team. We need a manager who is strong enough to make the big decisions 

100% this. I know we shouldn't harp on the past but going into 66 World Cup it was unthinkable that Jimmy Greaves could be dropped. Slight knock in group match and Geoff Hurst brought in. Hurst had only got his first cap 5 months previous yet Ramsey knew something had to change for the benefit of the team. Fast forward to Southgate and he persists with a struggling Kane when obvious to all that that he dare not drop his big name player despite the issue for the team

• Like 1