Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Next England Manager?

Southgate’s future hasn’t been decided yet… but clearly it will over the coming days.

So, who do you want? Does anyone want to make a case for Southgate staying on?

And perhaps more interestingly, what are the key criteria /skills / competencies you’re looking for in the next England manager? 

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Southgate’s future hasn’t been decided yet… but clearly it will over the coming days.

So, who do you want? Does anyone want to make a case for Southgate staying on?

And perhaps more interestingly, what are the key criteria /skills / competencies you’re looking for in the next England manager? 

I've highlighted your last line because I think it's going to be the deciding factor.

In two years time we will see the most high profile, most watched World Cup probably in history, the Americans will stop at nothing to make its seen as the 'best ever'.

Given how high profile it will be, I think the FA will, once again, go for someone who is media friendly, well trained, says all the right things and wont upset anyone.

It's why they probably wont look any further than Howe and Potter.

Which is a shame, as there's a world of possibilities open to us.

One thing I found interesting from the players was the fact they all seem to love Southgate because he's 'been in our shoes'. Howe and Potter wont be able to claim that... in fact there's very few current managers who have played for England in high pressure tournaments.

It's gonna sound very simplistic but we need to appoint the very best candidate we can get. If that means getting knocked back by the likes of Pep, Klopp etc then so be it. I don't buy into the notion that it has to be English but if it is then I can't see past Howe or Potter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

It's gonna sound very simplistic but we need to appoint the very best candidate we can get. If that means getting knocked back by the likes of Pep, Klopp etc then so be it. I don't buy into the notion that it has to be English but if it is then I can't see past Howe or Potter. 

I’m quite the opposite. It never sits right with me having a manager from a different nation. I’m aware this makes me sound like I voted Reform 😂😂

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me. I can read all England team pages just like what I am doing, talked to fan , drink beer and drunk . And then we determişne (as we are drunk determineş ) the team  and before the game we can talk the tactics, subs, and after the game I can say thank you by giving the fan's name at the briefing. Vote me and ı can order beer before and after (ehm mostly before) the matches.  If you choose me, I promise I will bring holiday some fans who votes me for equal the amount 1/6 my salary.  I am not English so I will not be under stress and press like Southgate and look at what fans says I will do for the team. I will blame only fans not me at the end and take my things and revenue to  Copacabana to play beach football with the gilrs. Do not forget if you vote me I will always send some fans there . 

Edited by Naat

Elite managers aren't really interested in international football - I feel Klopp would struggle with the lack of day to day management. Can see Pepe doing it at some point but not with England. 

Can't see it not being a Potter type. Maybe Howe, even Rodgers if they wanted to poach someone from club football. Likes of Lampard and Gerrard will probably put themselves forward. 

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I've highlighted your last line because I think it's going to be the deciding factor.

In two years time we will see the most high profile, most watched World Cup probably in history, the Americans will stop at nothing to make its seen as the 'best ever'.

Given how high profile it will be, I think the FA will, once again, go for someone who is media friendly, well trained, says all the right things and wont upset anyone.

It's why they probably wont look any further than Howe and Potter.

Which is a shame, as there's a world of possibilities open to us.

One thing I found interesting from the players was the fact they all seem to love Southgate because he's 'been in our shoes'. Howe and Potter wont be able to claim that... in fact there's very few current managers who have played for England in high pressure tournaments.

Sounds like a call for Lampard or Gerrard :olol

2 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

I’m quite the opposite. It never sits right with me having a manager from a different nation. I’m aware this makes me sound like I voted Reform 😂😂

I think long term I'd like it to be English but I genuinely feel a world class manager makes the changes needed to win us one of the next two tournaments. Any English manager feels more of a project 

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

Elite managers aren't really interested in international football - I feel Klopp would struggle with the lack of day to day management. Can see Pepe doing it at some point but not with England. 

Can't see it not being a Potter type. Maybe Howe, even Rodgers if they wanted to poach someone from club football. Likes of Lampard and Gerrard will probably put themselves forward. 

No way Rodgers goes near the England job. Itd finally finish those off up north. Maybe I like that idea 

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I think long term I'd like it to be English but I genuinely feel a world class manager makes the changes needed to win us one of the next two tournaments. Any English manager feels more of a project 

Surely any good manager like Pep or Klopp as mentioned would rather wait and manage their own country?

Could someone like Mourinho be tempted? Or even Benitez.

Both are a bit older, have a connection with England and have success at various clubs. They're also high profile enough that they could get player buy in and can point to their tournament achievements. 

Surely they can be offered a part time contract, so they've got the ability to do media and other bits. 

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Could someone like Mourinho be tempted? Or even Benitez.

Both are a bit older, have a connection with England and have success at various clubs. They're also high profile enough that they could get player buy in and can point to their tournament achievements. 

Surely they can be offered a part time contract, so they've got the ability to do media and other bits. 

Would we want to tempt them?

It's a massive long shot, but I'd go all out for Klopp on a short-term contract until after the World Cup. There's no way he stays for ages. But he wants a rest, which frankly can be done beside the England job as it's not a full-time position, is it? Other than that, the pickings are slim. I would rather give it to Howe than an older manager like Benitez, who won't give a monkeys. 

• Like 3

I'd rather they were English but our lack of decent coaches is a problem and has been for years. Potter is the obvious candidate and yet I could see him going a similar way. I don't think we'd become the team people were hoping for. But then I think we'd probably be a bit more cohesive if anything else.

The lack of viable alternative mixed with the fluke final run is going to see us blow 2026 on Southgate as well.