Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Next England Manager?

To answer my own question by the way - got distracted! 

I want a manager that’s into their data analytics.

I think a manager into data would be better at picking balanced squads, but more importantly fitting players into a functional system.

Just picking on visual form - feels a poor process.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Have you not been there? It's great!

Used to travel through it a lot on long distance train and bus rides. Seemed very neat and tidy for sure. Nice bakeries. 

I think Howe would be quite an easy deal to do.

He was brought in by Newcastle, much like Stavely and her fella, to be the cuddly front facing team of the takeover. Really don't think they see him in charge long term.

Stavely is gone now and I imagine any protection Eddie has goes with her. 

It might well be Newcastle and England doing each other a favour... they don't have to sack him and the FA get their man without much wrangling.

31 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Why so against a German getting it?

Our rivalry with Germany seems very one sided (by us). I imagine they hate the Dutch more.

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think Howe would be quite an easy deal to do.

I’d go Howe over Potter personally - just think there’s a bit more about him.

I do question, however, if either are “winning” managers.

And looking through social media this morning and all the strongly tribal opinions being offered - it does remind you what a horrible, thankless job this is.

I don't think Southgate is going anywhere. The FA love him and I can't see him turning down £5m a year for the next few years. I reckon he'll be given a new contract for the next WC as a minimum.

And part of me will laugh at Graham "I'm holding out for the England job" Potter who'll still be on the dole.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Could someone like Mourinho be tempted? Or even Benitez.

Both are a bit older, have a connection with England and have success at various clubs. They're also high profile enough that they could get player buy in and can point to their tournament achievements. 

Surely they can be offered a part time contract, so they've got the ability to do media and other bits. 

It might end up being a car crash, but I quite like the idea of Mourinho. He's not English, but has managed in the country a long time, knows the football culture in this country, the English press, and he is a winner. 

But he's pretty much the complete opposite of Southgate and it's not the direction the FA will go in.

It's going to be Potter or Howe. 

In what world does Eddie Howe leave Newcastle to manage England? With a few exceptions (Nagelsmann at Germany being one), top level managers aren't in international football. It's mostly washed up managers towards the end of their careers or people who have come through the international youth coaching setups. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StonyFox said:

It might end up being a car crash, but I quite like the idea of Mourinho. He's not English, but has managed in the country a long time, knows the football culture in this country, the English press, and he is a winner. 

But he's pretty much the complete opposite of Southgate and it's not the direction the FA will go in.

It's going to be Potter or Howe. 

Mourinho would be despised by the players much the same way Capello was. Southgate has got one thing going for him, in that he panders to the modern footballer's fragile ego, and in return the players actually seem to like him and want to play for him. Mourinho can't/won't do that, which is why he has become less and less successful over time.

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

In what world does Eddie Howe leave Newcastle to manage England? With a few exceptions (Nagelsmann at Germany being one), top level managers aren't in international football. It's mostly washed up managers towards the end of their careers or people who have come through the international youth coaching setups. 

Because it's the England job and for English managers, it's the ultimate. If he fails then he's got credit in the bank to get another PL job.

Either way it's not happening, Southgate will stay on or they'll promote from within.

Needs to be a manager with a great tactical track record and in-game management, by far Southgate's biggest weaknesses. If we were to go with a big name we could do a hell of a lot worse than Mancini.

If it's Potter or Howe than please please please be Howe, Potter is the continuity option and the opposite of what we need.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 4

I think the expectations for the calibre of manager who'd take the job are wildly ulrealistic.

Potter would be fine. A solid, competent top tier club manager is the best one can reasonably hope for an international job. And he'd certainly be an upgrade on Southgate.

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Needs to be a manager with a great track tactical track record and in-game management, by far Southgate's biggest weaknesses. If we were to go with a big name we could do a hell of a lot worse than Mancini.

If it's Potter or Howe than please please please be Howe, Potter is the continuity option and the opposite of what we need.

I think this is key. If we can find somebody who will maintain the positive stuff Southgate has brought - ie, culture, squad morale and man management - but add some tactical sophistication and in-game management expertise, that would be a great appointment. Like you I'd much prefer Howe to Potter - but whether Howe would quit Newcastle for it is another matter.

As expected, Potter is bookies favourite. 

I still want to see them give the U21's manager a try. He has experience with some of these guys, has managed internationally and would be substantially cheaper.  The fact Southgate was the top paid manager at the Euro's at £5m a year was just insane.