Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Next England Manager?

Can we get a Klopp as he is at least out of work but would the media accept a German in change?

Probably be more likely an Eddie Howe or Potter.

Maybe that is why the FA are keen for Southgate to stay on - they aren't confident in their eyes of getting one of those. 

I guess IF there is a new manager the expectation for 2026 and so on will be to at least match Southgate's achievements but in a more eye catching manner?

Edited by Super_horns

FA criteria for selecting the next England boss.

1.Make a list if all the managers who have won something.

2. List all managers who have exceeded expectations /over achieved.

3. List all managers who have a mind of their own.

4. Select for interview only people who are not on lists 1,2 or 3. Preferably an unsuccessful former player.

• Haha 1

criteria...

- Return to Middle Ages

- Thinking if I will be able to find a job in England if I can achive correct pronounce of word ''ASSOCIATIONS'' at once.

- Kill the football match commentators of today

- Swim in the wavy stormy sea

- not talking for a long time , (more than 5 minutes and get boring)

- like trees 

- kill tree cutters

- like English police series, hate drama series 

- Like diving scuba hate kill fishes under the sea

- like to talk street cats 

- like italians , hate France. 

lol 

I think whoever it is needs to have a stronger tactical intelligence, which was always Southgate's downfall. Southgate took far too long to highlight problems and then far too long to actually do something about them. A manager with stronger tactical principles wouldn't stand for some of the things we've seen in this tournament such as the piss poor press, long balls from Pickford and total lack of movement from the midfield when trying to play it out from the back.

The hardest thing is going to be finding a manager with the man-management skills of Southgate and the bravery to prioritise the system over personnel. If we deem that we want to be a pressing team, Kane can't play. If we deem that Bellingham and Foden are 10's, then only one can play. We have to stop putting so much reliance on having the stars on the pitch, even if they are out of position, injured or knackered (or all three), and then hope they pull out a 'moment'. Imagine how many more moments those players will have if they are playing within a sound, cohesive system that is more similar to their club sides and where everyone knows their roles. I'd love to see Foden/Bellingham and Saka/Palmer sharing a role and rotating as appropriate during a (hopefully) long tournament.

I just don't know how anybody can be inspired by a Southgate type. He strikes me as a wet lettuce and hasn't got any real stature in the game. We need someone who isn't afraid of making big calls and ruffling some feathers 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I just don't know how anybody can be inspired by a Southgate type. He strikes me as a wet lettuce and hasn't got any real stature in the game. We need someone who isn't afraid of making big calls and ruffling some feathers 

I have a feeling that Bellingham is going to cause some problems over the next few years. Apparently he went crazy at Southgate just before the Kane sub because he was getting frustrated with the lack of movement up front. I'm totally with him on that, but he needs to be careful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I have a feeling that Bellingham is going to cause some problems over the next few years. Apparently he went crazy at Southgate just before the Kane sub because he was getting frustrated with the lack of movement up front. I'm totally with him on that, but he needs to be careful.

Yeah I must admit I've not liked what I've seen from Bellingham in this tournament. I get he's had a meteoric rise but I think he needs to concentrate more on his game and tone down the arrogance. That "who else" bollocks was embarrassing 

40 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think about 20 million people were going crazy at the lack of box presence every game with Kane often looking for clover somewhere behind the midfield.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Southgate deserves credit for changing the culture and creating an environment in which players have been much happier playing for England than they have in the past. But having a positive culture can only take you so far. You need tactical intelligence, too - and this is where Southgate has repeatedly fallen down. We have very good attacking players whose club sides press high and move the ball quickly, but we did neither of those things consistently during the tournament. Then, having stumbled on a formation that worked better in the quarter-final and semi-final, he abandoned it in the final and we duly reverted to the same turgid football we'd played earlier in the tournament. Southgate's bizarre decision to not bother picking a fit left back in a squad of 26 (which crippled our left side) and his loyalty to a clearly unfit Kane also severely weakened us. Thanks Gareth, but it's time to move on.

For me that’s why the next man has to be Eddie Howe, he plays an aggressive attacking football with a high press, he’s English, he’s good from a PR perspective and he’s young who will continue to build this relationship Gareth has built with the players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

if the FA had any balls, theyd go for either Tunchel, Klopp or Poch

but suspect it will be Carsley as the FA love appointing Yes men and ones who dont rattle the cages

Those three would be far too opinionated for the FA's liking. It'll be another bland puppet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

if the FA had any balls, theyd go for either Tunchel, Klopp or Poch

but suspect it will be Carsley as the FA love appointing Yes men and ones who dont rattle the cages

Carsley is not a yes man, if you’ve paid any attention to the under 21’s, he’s an incredibly creative coach who plays a good brand of modern football, and has led the team to glory. 

If he’s well thought of by the young players who will be the bulk of the team over the next 4/5 years then it wouldn’t be a bad appointment. High profile foreign appointments are often disastrous in international football. 

• Like 1

If Potter gets it, I honestly believe he turned us down/we didn't move forward with him because he was holding out for this opportunity. 

Still think the U21s gaffer deserves a run at it. 

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Carsley is not a yes man, if you’ve paid any attention to the under 21’s, he’s an incredibly creative coach who plays a good brand of modern football, and has led the team to glory. 

If he’s well thought of by the young players who will be the bulk of the team over the next 4/5 years then it wouldn’t be a bad appointment. High profile foreign appointments are often disastrous in international football. 

if hes not a yes man as you say then im surprised hes even got the U21 job, cos the FA dont always appoint people who rattle the cages, and as you said he did take the U21s to win the euros; im still saying the jury is out tho

and im not reading too much into the U21 cos some of the teams they play are honking and its hard to judge imo

and you could say the bottom part about Southgate too, look how limited he was, its seems to be a step up compared to the U21s

imo Pearce did better with the U21s than Southgate 

48 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

if hes not a yes man as you say then im surprised hes even got the U21 job, cos the FA dont always appoint people who rattle the cages, and as you said he did take the U21s to win the euros; im still saying the jury is out tho

and im not reading too much into the U21 cos some of the teams they play are honking and its hard to judge imo

and you could say the bottom part about Southgate too, look how limited he was, its seems to be a step up compared to the U21s

imo Pearce did better with the U21s than Southgate 

Southgate wasn’t limited though, he improved the team no end and I don’t think he was a yes man. Even though he bottled it when the pressure got too big. The yes man argument is wrong in my opinion, we appointed people like Capello who turned out to be a disaster and he definitely wasn’t a yes man. International football is all about pathways and systems, you need someone who can oversee that and integrate good players together. 

56 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Good case there for Carsley. If not then Howe for me. Did a good job at Bournemouth who had no pedigree of top flight football and has continued good work at Newcastle

• Like 1

We need a manager with proven success, too many no hopers. Sadly no English out their at the moment good enough. So time to foreign route again.

Jurgen Klopp... wishful thinking but no harm in trying

Poch... good record with English players and developing them

Unai Emery... cant see him leaving Villa but again worth asking.

Thomas Tuchel... maybe tempted

Eddie Howe... only Englishman to make my list. But only top english coach in the country 

Why do i get this bad feeling Brendan Rodgers will be linked...