Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Next England Manager?

If Klopp doesn't want it because he needs a rest, it needs to be Tuchel. Excellent tactically, total winners mentality and a genuinely impressive record. He'd be unafraid to take the tactical gambles that Southgate has been afraid to take and he'd be just enough of an arsehole to drop anyone who's off form, regardless of sentiment.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Southgate wasn’t limited though, he improved the team no end and I don’t think he was a yes man. Even though he bottled it when the pressure got too big. The yes man argument is wrong in my opinion, we appointed people like Capello who turned out to be a disaster and he definitely wasn’t a yes man. International football is all about pathways and systems, you need someone who can oversee that and integrate good players together. 

yeah he was limited, did you see the last few tournaments we had, the games we've played the last couple of years? i honestly cant remember the last time ive watched an england game and said "wow, they played really well"

the last good england performance on the whole is probably in euro 2020 against germany

and you say Southgate wasnt limited but then bottled it, which sort of goes in the same ball park, Southgate showed he was limited cos he kept picking the same players and the same formation, we could all see it wasnt working but him; same with certain players, his blind loyalty to certain players as well. dont get  me wrong Southgate did well in changing the culture etc but Ill still say Big Sam would have won one of the tournaments if he had still be in charge

3 hours ago, Bazly said:

I think about 20 million people were going crazy at the lack of box presence every game with Kane often looking for clover somewhere behind the midfield.

Consider how happy Spain were to get the ball in the box and the problems it caused England. England completely lacking as you say

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Southgate wasn’t limited though, he improved the team no end and I don’t think he was a yes man. Even though he bottled it when the pressure got too big. The yes man argument is wrong in my opinion, we appointed people like Capello who turned out to be a disaster and he definitely wasn’t a yes man. International football is all about pathways and systems, you need someone who can oversee that and integrate good players together. 

His win rate was about 4% different to Hodgson

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In double the time, though? 

I don't even think it's as black and white as win % – Hodgson was garbage at tournaments. Gets a pass for 2012 given he came in late, but contrived to finish bottom of a World Cup group featuring Costa Rica and then lost to Iceland in 2016. He was hideous. I'm not particularly pro or anti Southgate but to suggest he didn't substantially improve the state of the national team after Roy (and Allardyce) is just a bit daft.

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

If Klopp doesn't want it because he needs a rest, it needs to be Tuchel. Excellent tactically, total winners mentality and a genuinely impressive record. He'd be unafraid to take the tactical gambles that Southgate has been afraid to take and he'd be just enough of an arsehole to drop anyone who's off form, regardless of sentiment.

I don’t think either would take the England job. 

29 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

In double the time, though? 

I don't even think it's as black and white as win % – Hodgson was garbage at tournaments. Gets a pass for 2012 given he came in late, but contrived to finish bottom of a World Cup group featuring Costa Rica and then lost to Iceland in 2016. He was hideous. I'm not particularly pro or anti Southgate but to suggest he didn't substantially improve the state of the national team after Roy (and Allardyce) is just a bit daft.

You didn't mention the group also contained Uraguay and Italy. 2012 France, Sweden, Ukraine, lost to Italy. 

Southgate IMO had an easy ride in tournament football, luck has been on his side with the draws and he's pretty much always lost when he's come up against anyone half decent. 

We might have improved a bit, I really don't feel like it was a gigantic amount. We were utter crap barring 45 minutes this whole tournament. 

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Sorry, but this is an incredibly shallow way of looking at it. One thing Southgate deserves a tremendous amount of credit for is moving on from experienced players of the failed regime. If Allardyce not had been involved in scandal, there is no doubt that the likes of Rooney, Hart and Cahill would have been involved for much longer. Allardyce admitted this himself. We desperately needed to move on from those players and clean the slate. Southgate did a respectable job of reinventing this team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

You didn't mention the group also contained Uraguay and Italy. 2012 France, Sweden, Ukraine, lost to Italy. 

Southgate IMO had an easy ride in tournament football, luck has been on his side with the draws and he's pretty much always lost when he's come up against anyone half decent. 

We might have improved a bit, I really don't feel like it was a gigantic amount. We were utter crap barring 45 minutes this whole tournament. 

I'll happily mention the 2014 group contained Uruguay and Italy. That doesn't excuse finishing bottom of the pile, we were crap against both and never really in that tournament at all, it was as underwhelming as everything the decade before had produced. The most exciting it got was that shot Sterling had against the Italians that everyone thought had gone in.

Your argument also glosses over 2016 which was a national embarrassment. Roy couldn't go out to the 'first half decent side' we faced because he'd already got us dumped out by some minnows.

Again I'm not some kind of staunch Southgate apologist, I'm broadly pleased he's gone but he was so, so, so much better than Hodgson for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I'll happily mention the 2014 group contained Uruguay and Italy. That doesn't excuse finishing bottom of the pile, we were crap against both and never really in that tournament at all, it was as underwhelming as everything the decade before had produced. The most exciting it got was that shot Sterling had against the Italians that everyone thought had gone in.

Your argument also glosses over 2016 which was a national embarrassment. Roy couldn't go out to the 'first half decent side' we faced because he'd already got us dumped out by some minnows.

Again I'm not some kind of staunch Southgate apologist, I'm broadly pleased he's gone but he was so, so, so much better than Hodgson for us.

Exactly. It's beyond laughable that anyone would try and suggest otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

I don’t think either would take the England job. 

Several sources have suggested Tuchel fancies it if offered.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You get the luck of the bracket if you win the groups. Before Southgate we'd won two of the last ten major competition group stages. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Several sources have suggested Tuchel fancies it if offered.

I do like the idea of Tuchel - and I imagine he’d enjoy positive references from ol’ Harry and Reece if opinion was courted.

The thing that might count against him is his rumoured out of work habits.

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I do like the idea of Tuchel - and I imagine he’d enjoy positive references from ol’ Harry and Reece if opinion was courted.

What are they?

7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

His honours list is ridiculous. 

He's won stuff everywhere he's been.

Manager

edit

Borussia Dortmund

DFB-Pokal: 2016–17[273]

Paris Saint-Germain

Ligue 1: 2018–19,[274] 2019–20[275]

Coupe de France: 2019–20[276]

Coupe de la Ligue: 2019–20[114]

Trophée des Champions: 2018,[74] 2019[277]

Chelsea

UEFA Champions League: 2020–21[278]

UEFA Super Cup: 2021[279]

FIFA Club World Cup: 2021[280]

Bayern Munich

Bundesliga: 2022–23[281]

Individual

VDV Bundesliga Coach of the Season: 2015–16

Premier League Manager of the Month: March 2021,[152] October 2021[152]

German Football Manager of the Year: 2021[282]

UEFA Men's Coach of the Year: 2020–21[283]

IFFHS Men's World's Best Club Coach: 2021[284]

The Best FIFA Football Coach: 2021[285]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

His honours list is ridiculous. 

He's won stuff everywhere he's been.

Manager

edit

Borussia Dortmund

DFB-Pokal: 2016–17[273]

Paris Saint-Germain

Ligue 1: 2018–19,[274] 2019–20[275]

Coupe de France: 2019–20[276]

Coupe de la Ligue: 2019–20[114]

Trophée des Champions: 2018,[74] 2019[277]

Chelsea

UEFA Champions League: 2020–21[278]

UEFA Super Cup: 2021[279]

FIFA Club World Cup: 2021[280]

Bayern Munich

Bundesliga: 2022–23[281]

Individual

VDV Bundesliga Coach of the Season: 2015–16

Premier League Manager of the Month: March 2021,[152] October 2021[152]

German Football Manager of the Year: 2021[282]

UEFA Men's Coach of the Year: 2020–21[283]

IFFHS Men's World's Best Club Coach: 2021[284]

The Best FIFA Football Coach: 2021[285]

He'd be my choice of the realistic ones. Proven winner 

Edited by foxfanazer

42 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Sorry, but this is an incredibly shallow way of looking at it. One thing Southgate deserves a tremendous amount of credit for is moving on from experienced players of the failed regime. If Allardyce not had been involved in scandal, there is no doubt that the likes of Rooney, Hart and Cahill would have been involved for much longer. Allardyce admitted this himself. We desperately needed to move on from those players and clean the slate. Southgate did a respectable job of reinventing this team. 

Allardyce said he would have kept the old guard in past their years? 

I do wonder what we would have achieved under him. Sod all is my bet.