Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Southgate steps down as England manager

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

It would dangerous decision for the Fa to make that decision, Sarina leaving the England women for the men, will make it look like the men's game is way more important. It would open a can of worms. If honest I don't think Sarina would want to take that risk, if she went to manage men's side I think should would much rather be another nation, like if netherlands men approached her to takeover.

Edited by Leicesterpool

I've certainly moaned about him a lot as a tactician but you can't deny that he's a thoroughly decent guy who is an excellent man manager. Being manager of any team for 8 years is a very long time in modern football so now is definitely the right time for a change. 

As for this tournament, I will never understand his utter refusal to play a system like Spain's, with Rice as the 6 behind Foden and Bellingham as high 8s, and 2 fast wingers (Gordon and Saka) either side of Kane. The lack of genuine width and pace on the left (compounded by having a right footed left back) completely stunted our attacking prowess and allowed teams to focus on stopping Saka on the right. It also meant playing some of our best players out of position ie Foden and Bellingham being asked to drift out wide and Saka being asked to play a weird right wing back role. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I'll play devil's advocate,

I know England in general pay little or no attention to the Nations league, but if you look at the past winners and runners up it gives an insight into countries that take it a bit more seriously and its an opportunity to play tournament football and learn from the experience

Did Gareth miss a trick by not taking it seriously? 

2021 Winners France, 2023 winners Spain. 

Squad was notably tired in June 2022 for the 2023 edition after a daft COVID schedule - so let them off for that. France and Germany were both iffy as well in that edition. While only really Netherlands took it with serious nature in the group stages (ironically one of the few leagues not to play out their COVID interrupted season). 

2021 - done by a good Belgium side. 

He took the other Nations League with seriousness and ended up in the final four. 

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Eddie Howe is paid a much better salary at Newcastle than Southgate was at England. Not only would the FA have to at least match his salary to drag him away from Newcastle, they'd also have have to have pay Newcastle compensation. I just don't see it happening. 

You don't think he'd take a pay cut to manage his country? It would be a fantastic opportunity for him. 

He's not exactly short of money already and he'd likely find himself in another decent job after leaving the England one.

10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Squad was notably tired in June 2022 for the 2023 edition after a daft COVID schedule - so let them off for that. France and Germany were both iffy as well in that edition. While only really Netherlands took it with serious nature in the group stages (ironically one of the few leagues not to play out their COVID interrupted season). 

2021 - done by a good Belgium side. 

He took the other Nations League with seriousness and ended up in the final four. 

It still feels weird that we need to get 'promoted' before we have a chance of winning it lol

12 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

It would dangerous decision for the Fa to make that decision, Sarina leaving the England women for the men, will make it look like the men's game is way more important. It would open a can of worms. If honest I don't think Sarina would want to take that risk, if she went to manage men's side I think should would much rather be another nation, like if netherlands men approached her to takeover.

It’s a different level that is just the truth, it would be a risk for anyone without her having any experience in the men’s game. I watch women’s football and want them to do well but let’s not pretend it is of a similar standard 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

You don't think he'd take a pay cut to manage his country? It would be a fantastic opportunity for him. 

He's not exactly short of money already and he'd likely find himself in another decent job after leaving the England one.

I absolutely think that he wouldn't take a pay cut to manage England. People massively overestimate the appeal of the England job in this day and age. The intense media scrutiny, going months without being able work with the squad instead of being able to work with the players daily, having an entire nation thinking they can somehow do the job better than you and success or failure being defined by a tournament every two years rather than over a season with at least 38 games when anyone can lose in a one off game against a side they are expected to beat. 

Just now, BenTheFox said:

I absolutely think that he wouldn't take a pay cut to manage England. People massively overestimate the appeal of the England job in this day and age. The intense media scrutiny, going months without being able work with the squad instead of being able to work with the players daily, having an entire nation thinking they can somehow do the job better than you and success or failure being defined by a tournament every two years rather than over a season with at least 38 games when anyone can lose in a one off game against a side they are expected to beat. 

Well yes, most of what you have mentioned is pretty much for all international jobs… so yes the man who takes the job would need to be interested in getting into international management 

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well yes, most of what you have mentioned is pretty much for all international jobs… so yes the man who takes the job would need to be interested in getting into international management 

I think he'd take it if he was out of work, but why would he take a pay cut for it when he has a good job? That's not the only obstacle here either. The FA cup would have to pay Newcastle a compensation package. He'd be my first choice if he was interested. It's not essential but I'd like an English manager, and he's the best we have. 

International football generally doesn't appeal to top managers like it used to. It's mostly ex club managers at the end of their careers or people who have come through the country's youth setup. Nagelsmann at Germany is an exception. He was Bayern manager, which is a more lucrative job in my opinion, but he was sacked. 

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm not overestimating the appeal, I know it's not like it might have been seen in the past. I'm just saying it would be a good opportunity if he fancies it.

He's reportedly on around £6mill a year at Newcastle and Southgate was on close to £5mill so pay isn't likely to be a massive factor if he does.

Southgate did well enough to help us forget the parallel universe where Allardyce is in for at least four years. Had a glimpse in one game how awful his football would have been. Throw in his obnoxious attitude and I think we would have continued the dismal performance in major tournaments with more fans turning away.

• Like 1

I've been critical of Southgate but he did a good job but unfortunately could not quite win a big prize. He does though seem a decent and likeable bloke and went someway to counter the bluster and arrogance that some outside the country think is typical of England.

Guest Col city fan

The REALITY of England, under Southgate, in the last Euro’s.

No hypocrisy here, it’s what we were pretty much all saying throughout the tournament.

I think I read we had 7 shots on target in the whole tournament! 
Rubbish really tbh. The only reason we got to the final was a. The lucky draw and b. Some good players who popped up with great goals.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/hMAqDayZMC1tHHNK/?mibextid=UalRPS

I think in years to come a lot of players will open up more about Southgate. Many will probably say "we should have been more adventurous" and probably say we should have won two of the four tournaments.

I wont be surprised in years to come every time the England job becomes available Southgate will always be linked to a return. Much to our fears.

The fa need to take same attitude as the lionesses in terms of their search. Go for the best of the best. Lionesses learnt after Neville they needed someone with experience, known successful, trophy driven.

Under Hogdson it felt like we went out there to do the best we can and stay in as long as possible. Southgate for once in praise did target tournament wins. But on reflection he wasn't strong enough with his knowledge to win a final against top opposition.