Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Oliver Skipp - confirmed official

We need 2 new centre mids imo.

This chap and O’Riley or similar would be ideal.

Cooper tends to play 3 in the middle so will need 5. Winks, Ndidi and Soumare is a good start but Choudhury not up to standard and too early for Braybrooke 

48 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Soumare and Choudhury in the PL?

I hear ya, but they do have circa 100 prem league games between them, under their belt. I'm not suggesting they should be our starting pair, ever (please no) but they are back up.

He is a hard working quality player in a similar mould to Winks from everything I've read. Excellent cover for Wilf or Winks but with all 3 covering the centre of the park I would be worried about linking up with the wingers and strikers etc. I think if we could sign someone with a bit of flair and goals (such as Soule etc) I would be feeling happier with Skipp coming in particularly if the price was reasonable. 

20 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Rather play Sammy Braybrooke.

same, but not sure we will risk throwing him in. Would love to see him go out on loan to the Championship. 

26 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Decent back up for Winks as I can't see Winks being able to play every game in the prem. 

He just managed to play 45 championship games and complete the full 90 on 43 occasions.

So I'm not sure that's right.  

25 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Rather play Sammy Braybrooke.

Braybrooke has played 16 minutes of senior football.

How many minutes does he get as an understudy to Winks? We need him playing as many minutes as possible; getting him out on loan and getting 40-odd games under his belt will be more beneficial in the long term. 

• Like 2

Certainly to survive in the Prem. You need to keep clean sheets and make yourself hard to beat. So an experienced Prem player like Skipp would be an asset. But we also need to be able to use the ball to break forward. As we will be all about our rapid wingers as outlets. Can Skipp pick a progressive pass? As we didn't see enough of that from Winks last season. 

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Certainly to survive in the Prem. You need to keep clean sheets and make yourself hard to beat. So an experienced Prem player like Skipp would be an asset. But we also need to be able to use the ball to break forward. As we will be all about our rapid wingers as outlets. Can Skipp pick a progressive pass? As we didn't see enough of that from Winks last season. 

I'm not sure Winks was expected to do that last season. He was there to keep the ball and retain possession. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How many minutes does he get as an understudy to Winks? We need him playing as many minutes as possible; getting him out on loan and getting 40-odd games under his belt will be more beneficial in the long term. 

16 minutes of senior football and only just back after over a year out with a serious injury.

I'm all for championing academy graduates, but people are asking a bit much if they are expecting him or Alves to contribute this season. It's going to be a real grind and possibly not even the best place for their development this year.

Better off going out on loan.

Edited by James_lcfc
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He just managed to play 45 championship games and complete the full 90 on 43 occasions.

So I'm not sure that's right.  

to go two full seasons without injury is rare. We need back ups that can cover and currently we have no one that would be good enough to play that role without shifting players about. 

Again i hope he does but its a massive ask. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be against Skipp as we should cut our losses with Soumare and I still have reservations about Choudhury at this level.

Braybrooke is an exciting prospect and may well force his way into the starting XI by the end of the season, but we'll need alternatives to take the pressure off. While he may be capable of extraordinary games, we can't expect him to play at a consistent level for a whole season, whereas we can expect something of the sort from Winks, Skipp and Ndidi thanks to their ages and experience.

1 hour ago, DZ-LCFC said:

Winks deal vibes 👀

It does shout of Cooper hitting the “recommend potential signing” when having a private chat with Harry? 

He’s clearly trying to build the team cohesion bar 😂

I'd love to see us give Braybrooke a shot as the backup/alternative for Winks, but equally he could go on loan to the Championship and tear it up - similar to KDH - to continue his development for a half/full season.

If he does go - and presuming that Soumare is surplus to requirements - then Skipp would be a steady option to supplement the squad. Fairly young and has prem experience, so whilst a bit of a boring transfer it wouldn't be too much of a risk. Imagine the fee won't reflect that though.

If we play any sort of formation that has 2 deeper midfielders we'll need options.

Winks, Ndidi, Skipp, Choudhury, (Braybrooke) 

with the options for the advanced role(s) being

Soule/ORiley, Golding, (Alves),

plus some fluidity from the wide players feels like a good - albeit young - core of the squad.

• Like 1

Be happy with this as not sure we've got quality in that position.  I know he's just signed an extension but Wilf was abysmal in the PL last time and we need alternatives given Soumare is dire and Hamza has his limitations.  Could see him working well with Winks as a two in the middle with Wilf behind.

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

We have four options for the 'deeper lying' central midfield position, Ndidi, Winks, Soumare and Choudhury. 

I don't think this position is priority tbh

Soumare and choudhury can get in the bin at this level - no chance 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

We have four options for the 'deeper lying' central midfield position, Ndidi, Winks, Soumare and Choudhury. 

I don't think this position is priority tbh

So assume our regular starting pair is Winks and Ndidi… are you happy with one of the other two regularly replacing one of them around the 65-80 minute mark? 

Cause, you know, central midfield is one of the areas you use a substitution more often than not during the season. 

An alternative to Winks is a space that clearly needs filling, it would’ve been filled last season if Sensi had joined. 

Putting all our hopes in Sammy Braybrooke as our back up to Winks is too much of a gamble imo. 

Bin off Soumare, get in an alternative to Winks(Maybe Skipp), then potentially integrate Braybrooke as our fifth choice holding midfielder. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Any idea what price is involved?

If it was a similar price to Winks, I think he's a good signing. 

Pretty much where I stand on it, too – anything around £10m and I think it'd be a quietly steady piece of business. North of that and it's a no thanks, I see he's been linked elsewhere for £20m+ which should be a complete no go for us.

• Like 3