Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Oliver Skipp - confirmed official

57 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If we are paying that much, he's coming straight into the first team. That makes me think we will shift back to a 433, which we tried against Shrewsbury. Klopp played 433 for years with combatitive midfielders, relying on the fullbacks and attacking players for creativity.

Immediately my reaction. We are probably going to forego the idea of creative central midfielders opting to close down the middle of the park and use our strength out wide.  The way VK has been used in preseason would support that. However the way Ricardo or JJ when used on the right have been used in preseason would suggest not.

I've thought for a long time I'd rather have an industrious midfield, and the 2 8's system last season largely played into that. Of course it's great having that creative spark in the centre, but a Maddison both costs a lot and there's a massive drop off when they're out/injured/off form.  Hamer would be a welcome inclusion now and I think that'd complete the midfield. Probably a pipe dream now, but he has it all, whether from a creative stance or defensive/industrial mid.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

People havent neceessarily got an issue with the player it's the fact we have hardly any decent scoring options and have signed a MF for 20m when our budget isn't big. This kind of money needed to be dropped on a player who can potentially get 10-15 goals.

Agree we need a striker and I'm sure we're still in the market for one, but we have already invested in forwards - Fatawu, Decordova and Buonanotte.

Strikers are the hardest commodity of all and the position we've wasted the most money on glamorous flops before. With Vardy still here I'd take a loan over risking another Daka / Slimani / Musa when we really can't afford one.

Edited by LeePhilpottsBaldSpot

1 minute ago, Guest said:

Midfield three of Winks, Skipp and Ndidi = goals and creativity galore. Not sure why we're looking at strikers actually because literally anyone could score a bucket load with those three supplying the ammunition. £20m+ sounds a VERY reasonable fee for someone of his extravagant talent and I think the fact we've managed to negotiate it down to such a bargain price point reflects very well on the Club and, more importantly, its Director of Football. I am so excited for the new season!

Feel free to go and "support" somebody else then.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am going to cut the club some slack on this, we have no idea what the structure of the deal is. Of course Spurs will leak the very maximum they could earn from it, however it is far more likely the initial fee we are paying will be somewhere between the £8m & £14m that has been quoted with the remainder made up of a number of clauses, some fairly easy ones and some based on future success of the player and club. 

IIRC the Perez deal was reported as £30m by Newcastle but was later confirmed to have been an initial fee of £16m with the rest subject to performance and appearance clauses. 

The selling club will often leak the total potential fee to soften the blow of losing a player. 

• Like 1

We are the only club in this country who would cough that fee up for a midfielder who doesn't even massively fix our issues. Absolute insanity again. This is what happens when you have inept staff put you on the back foot and you end up panicking.

• Like 3

20+ million and doesn't improve the starting 11... :huh:

What on earth is going on at this club. It feels like we are making a signing for the sake of it.

See Winks being mentioned in the sense of "we all thought this about Winks but what a revelation he's been" 

Actually I thought Winks would be amazing at Championship level but the question for me is still unanswered - can he do it in the Prem? 

We're about to find out. 

2 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

Feel free to go and "support" somebody else then.

Thanks mate I was really hoping you'd give me your blessing. After all, if I think Skipp isn't a very good signing and there's not enough creativity or goals in the team, the natural conclusion would be to change which team I support

40 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

Lost for words, summer budget gone on a journeyman in a position we are stacked, unbelievable 

Define journeyman for me, because as far as I'm aware a journeyman is somebody who has been through endless clubs and never settles.  Not a guy who has spent his entire career at one club bar one season on loan at Norwich.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AjcW said:

We might be letting them off their final Maddison instalment? 

I believe we cash instalment transfers with macquarie bank, to book the fee for that year on the accounts. So any monies owed will be to the bank.

4 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

This is exactly why we are in the terrible position we are. Expensive knee jerk signings with no real benefit to the squad or our prospects.

Doubtful this is knee jerk, was rumoured early in the window, just coming to fruition I am assuming.

• Like 1