Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Oliver Skipp - confirmed official

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Someone please do a list of players that have transferred for less than £25m this summer. This is piss funny.

Point being nobody want to sign for us right now….third time I’ve said it…..

• Like 2

not sure he's what we need in signing another DM behind Winks and Wilf but he's a step up over Hamza at least, maybe Winks will play more as an 8 than a DM this season?

Just now, Jimmy said:

not sure he's what we need in signing another DM behind Winks and Wilf but he's a step up over Hamza at least, maybe Winks will play more as an 8 than a DM this season?

He won’t be behind Wilf.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

He won’t be behind Wilf.

I think some people are forgetting how good of a DM Wilf was without the injuries that he had in our last PL season

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I think some people are forgetting how good of a DM Wilf was without the injuries that he had in our last PL season

He was awful in his last two PL seasons with us, but brilliant before that. It would be a massive gamble to assume he will somehow rediscover his 2017-21 form, although obviously I hope he does.

• Like 1

Any other club would only  make a signing  like this after virtually  guaranteeing their main target ( striker in our case ).

But with us at the moment .  .  .  .  .

Shall we give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this is the case and the Skipp deal just moved quicker  ?

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

He was awful in his last two PL seasons with us, but brilliant before that. It would be a massive gamble to assume he will somehow rediscover his 2017-21 form, although obviously I hope he does.

well without Rodgers asking him to play like he's Pirlo and just letting him do what he's excellent at I think he'll be back, he's better on the ball than he gets credit for but he's a pure ball winner, we will need that

Edited by Jimmy

Must admit, my first thought was that it would leave us looking pretty solid in the middle for the Championship. It's a Soumare upgrade so as long as that exchange happens for not too much money then I'm on board. 

Doesn't feel like this was the most pressing area we needed to strengthen in though.

22 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Point being nobody want to sign for us right now….third time I’ve said it…..

We're not targeting the right markets. We're still a huge move for players from Scandinavia, South America, Japan etc. You'd not pay £25m for the privilege either.

• Like 2

I think it’s a good signing generally. I think he’s a solid if not spectacular midfielder who strengthens our options. Cooper may even play him as an 8 which would justify the signing even more. £20m is a fairly large amount but it’s 2024, he’s a PL player and he’s English. £20m is kinda the starting point to be honest. Chelsea paid £10m more than that for KDH and he’s never pulled up trees at PL level..

It fills me with some positivity too. This confirms that the club are still able to spend money and are willing to do deals. Let’s just hope this is the first of a few. 

Lastly, we need to get rid of Bouba. Anything recouped for him makes this an even more acceptable deal.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

well without Rodgers asking him to play like he's Pirlo and just letting him do what he's excellent at I think he'll be back, he's better on the ball than he gets credit for but he's a pure ball winner, we will need that

Wilf can barely run anymore.

He‘s gone from a destroyer with extending legs to someone who struggles to get around the pitch.

In his credit, he scored a couple of important goals from his return from injury but his all round game since his return was average at best.

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You’re talking about a player that’s yet to make a professional appearance.

The best way to ruin a young talent is to heap too much on them too early.

You have to nurture talent, put them in situations you feel they can cope with, ones that don’t require much thinking; ones that build confidence - and being involved in the first team setup and getting 10/15 minutes here and there across pre-season will be have been a massive boost to him.

We’re tipped for relegation - so you can’t shove the lad into the starting 11 now and add the teams expectation of beating relegation onto his shoulders - the focus he needs is to just play and play without fear, so that will be selected minutes off the bench to start with.

The signing of Buonanotte shouldn’t be seen as a negative either.

It’s a temporary move so if Alves shows he is capable of taking on more later in the season, he will get more and more minutes; but in the meantime Facundo will give Alves a direct comparison in training of the sort of levels he needs to reach.

That’s just not true. He came on as sub in the cup 2 years ago, I was there. Did a couple of tricks which the fans loved and Rodgers told him off about (unfairly) if he’s good enough he needs to play. We wasted 2 years or more of KDH at LCFC by leaving him in the reserves for too long.

The best way to improve talent is by giving them game time. There are never going to be perfect benign conditions. Yes we are in a relegation battle, what’s wrong with him being involved in that? It’s real football! For me it at least made every sense to let the lad have way more minutes in pre season. We were short in the specific role he plays in. He’s a professional footballer and there’s no point being overly protective. Look at Liverpool, they gave our former player Nyoni significant game time pre season and he’s younger than Alves. 

I’ve not at any point said the signing of Buonanotte is a negative signing btw.  For the club, at least for this season, it’s a welcome addition of creativity into a squad distinctly lacking in that area. The difference is this lad was more trusted by his club at a younger age than Alves has been here prior to the injury he suffered (ironically via a deliberate assault in a youth match.) Because of this, Brighton have a player that’s good and mature enough that he’s trusted to be loaned to another premier league club - a club who are in a relegation battle!!