Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Oliver Skipp - confirmed official

If he remains fit I predict he will do very well.

However the club is probably 3 players short in attacking positions and we cannot carry on shopping at top prem prices which still seems to be happening with links to. Nelson etc

I think he's a good addition, it just doesn't stack up with everything we are hearing from the media regarding budgets and he doesn't address any of the gaping holes that we have within the squad.

Also, why offer both Hamza and Ndidi new contracts recently only to then go and spend £25M on another defensive midfielder.

It's just another decision to add to the pile of decisions that, on the face of it, point towards a football club incapable of joined up thinking.

• Like 3

Some are so desperate for signings they're rationalising it as a good one. He's obviously not a bad player but £20m (whether it's with add ons or not, presumable we pay them if we achieve what we need) but for that money we should be buying players that obviously improve us in areas we're weak.

What does a good season look like for Skip? 2 goals, an assist and 2.6 tackles a game?

Did anybody ever have him on their "Who should we sign wishlist?"

Is he going to tear the Championship apart with Winks, Ndidi (new deal so not going anywhere)? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think he's a good addition, it just doesn't stack up with everything we are hearing from the media regarding budgets and he doesn't address any of the gaping holes that we have within the squad.

Also, why offer both Hamza and Ndidi new contracts recently only to then go and spend £25M on another defensive midfielder.

It's just another decision to add to the pile of decisions that, on the face of it, point towards a football club incapable of joined up thinking.

Hamza was a very useful player last season and was worth the contract for that alone. Ndidi is a decent squad player to have without having to pay a fee for him. 

The transfer window hasn’t shut yet either, so I’m sure the gaping holes will be filled. 

We desperately need another Premier League quality centre mid and hopefully Skipp will be that man. 

The other weakness we have if we go with a midfield of Skipp and Winks is the distinct lack of height in midfield. You ideally need to bolster your ability to attack and defend with a good amount of tall players. For that reason I can see Ndidi remaining 1st choice and then we're faced with the very real possibility of a midfield 3 of Ndidi, Winks and Skipp. 

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

With hamza it’s to enable us to get a fee rather than him walk out the door for nowt.  With wilf, we clearly decided that to offer him new terms was cheaper than going out and finding the same player elsewhere - s/o fee probably around £4m.  (Paid out over the length of his contract), 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

The other weakness we have if we go with a midfield of Skipp and Winks is the distinct lack of height in midfield. You ideally need to bolster your ability to attack and defend with a good amount of tall players. For that reason I can see Ndidi remaining 1st choice and then we're faced with the very real possibility of a midfield 3 of Ndidi, Winks and Skipp. 

Well it will be competitive in there  if nothing else ! 

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Ndidi and Hamza make sense for different reasons.

Ndidi needs no time to settle in, acclimatise etc.  He’s good to go and is definitely a mid to lower half Prem player.  If we go down, he becomes a saleable asset.

If we go down, Hamza is a top half Championship player.  This season, he’ll be a break glass in case of emergency player and if by some minor miracle we survive, he’ll be sold to a Championship club.

For a change, these decisions to me look thought out and planned.

Rudders is still a pure bellcheese though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It can work, if you have good wide players, attacking full backs and a good CF.

We need a good CF and an attacking LB, for me. 

We we went down, team consistently walked though the middle of the park, we need to stay in game and make them a battle and tight.

I can see us playing the 3 against top 8 team in a 4-3-3 and dropping one and going 4-2-3-1 against weaker teams. 

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

It can work, if you have good wide players, attacking full backs and a good CF.

We need a good CF and an attacking LB, for me. 

We we went down, team consistently walked though the middle of the park, we need to stay in game and make them a battle and tight.

I can see us playing the 3 against top 8 team in a 4-3-3 and dropping one and going 4-2-3-1 against weaker teams. 

Winks will need to be braver on the ball if so. There was the ingredients of a player confident in the final third in his early 20's but he's eased off that mindset and you can tell. Would love it if he had one of those random seasons where he becomes a bagsman

Winks will need to be braver on the ball if so. There was the ingredients of a player confident in the final third in his early 20's but he's eased off that mindset and you can tell. Would love it if he had one of those random seasons where he becomes a bagsman

Been a few training shots of him sticking it top corner:ph34r:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Ndidi and Hamza make sense for different reasons.

Ndidi needs no time to settle in, acclimatise etc.  He’s good to go and is definitely a mid to lower half Prem player.  If we go down, he becomes a saleable asset.

If we go down, Hamza is a top half Championship player.  This season, he’ll be a break glass in case of emergency player and if by some minor miracle we survive, he’ll be sold to a Championship club.

For a change, these decisions to me look thought out and planned.

Rudders is still a pure bellcheese though.

a guy who was just a free agent and No one wanted him..

Edited by brownboy93

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I would say there are huge question marks over Ndidi, he's not been near the same player for three years now. 

Tbf I'm more concerned about the decision  making behind giving a massively diminished Ndidi a new contract, than signing this lad.

• Like 1

We need some solid performers. No point in us signing some creative players if the more defensive minded aren’t up for it.

Some better protection in front of back four should hopefully give our attacking players more freedom. 

Not read any comments from Spurs fans saying they are happy he’s going

I think he has the ability, to bring more goals and assists, I also think he can be the pre-assister more from higher up.

I think it going to be a hard slog with some grinding out results, we can't afford to concede the amount of goal Luton (85), Burnley (78) and Sheff Utd did (104). 

I will judge this signing on the rest of the window, if we bring in decent options at CF, CAM and LB I will be ok with it.

If we can't I will be grumpy.

I think he makes us better, but we need the other part of the jigsaw. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Signing Skipp makes total sense to me, for the following reasons:

1) We don't know whether Ndidi is up to the job any more. If he manages to rediscover his imperious 2017-21 form, fantastic - but we haven't seen that player for several years now. If we went into September and it became apparent that Wilf can't do it any more, our defence (which itself is questionable) would be horribly exposed. And even if Wilf does return to his best, his injury record suggests we will need cover.

2) Buying Skipp gives us he option of pushing Winks further forwards if necessary. 

3) In games against the stronger teams where we're likely to have to defend for most of the game, a midfield of Winks, Ndidi and Skipp won't be a bad option to have.

We always needed a new CDM. Whether Skipp is the right man remains to be seen, but the logic of strengthening in that position seems pretty clear.

Plus I feel we’ll be utilising the wings a heck of a lot and that’s where our creativity will come from

20 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Some are so desperate for signings they're rationalising it as a good one. He's obviously not a bad player but £20m (whether it's with add ons or not, presumable we pay them if we achieve what we need) but for that money we should be buying players that obviously improve us in areas we're weak.

What does a good season look like for Skip? 2 goals, an assist and 2.6 tackles a game?

Did anybody ever have him on their "Who should we sign wishlist?"

Is he going to tear the Championship apart with Winks, Ndidi (new deal so not going anywhere)? 

To be fair he did get in the team of the year for Norwich last time. 

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've looked through around 50 games where Winks and Skipp were both in the first team and they started together once (it was against us), so they didn't play together for a reason but you just know that will be our midfield three :yawn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I've looked through around 50 games where Winks and Skipp were both in the first team and they started together once (it was against us), so they didn't play together for a reason but you just know that will be our midfield three :yawn:

Winks, Skipp, Ndidi. We really do miss creativity because we aren't getting it from those three.