Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

Oliver Skipp - confirmed official

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

£25m for a Nampalys Mendy regen. Didn't realise we were so flush with cash

I don’t know about anyone else but I wish we had Mendy now going into this season! He was a much better player than anyone gave him credit for! 

Edited by wignalll2007

1 hour ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Moaning.  The cornerstone of modern football support.

This would be a dreadful signing if we were in the top 6 pushing for Champions League, but guess what???  We aint.

In our current situation, this is probably as good a signing for our midfield as we could hope for.

If we land Ayew and if the Zaha mess gets sorted, we give ourselves a good chance to survive.

Soule, Hlozek, the Greek guy.  Absolute pie in the sky transfer attempts.  Survive this year and MAYBE next year that profile of player we can target.

For now, think of an over elaborate chant for Skipp that about 200 people in the stadium will sing.

We are what we are.

This would be a reasonable post if we weren't paying a top 6 quality player price for him. Brighton signed Wieffer for a smidge more. Skipp would have been a decent signing for around £10mil, for £25mil it's an unjustifiable transfer and I despair that so many are saying that this is reasonable.

The state of modern English football where fans have been brainwashed by the big 6 spending £60mil on every player that £25mil on a below average Prem midfielder is reasonable, pound for pound this is in the same ballpark as Maguire to United for £80mil. At the end of the day it will be us fans that suffer from this frivolous spending as the club suffers from further FFP and financial issues.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

To be fair he did get in the team of the year for Norwich last time. 

They went up as champions (which he obviously had a hand in, not knocking him) which helps but the Winks, Ndidi, Skip midfield is too unadventurous even for the Championship. They're all going to be on big money and I can't seen anybody coming in with a bid we'll entertain. We're boxing ourselves in a bit with our squad building.

24 minutes ago, wignalll2007 said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I wish we had Mendy now going into this season! He was a much better player than anyone gave him credit for! 

He was mediocre which is why he started 65 league games in six years

• Like 1

After watching our midfield evaporate the last time we were in the Premier League, I am surprised so many are opposed.

Yes, we need more creativity, but its hard not to see some sense in this signing. (And he is even 15m euros on transfermrkt which is generally low)

46 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I've looked through around 50 games where Winks and Skipp were both in the first team and they started together once (it was against us), so they didn't play together for a reason but you just know that will be our midfield three :yawn:

Becuse Hojbjerg played most games and it was either one or the other playing with him generally. 

4 minutes ago, chadlcfc said:

Handy they can just drop him off tonight 

Given how tonight might go, this may be well timed before he changes his mind 

Yes the fee is large, but he’s coming from average wages at spurs to average prem wages here, probably around 50/60k a week. If we’d got a player for 15 million, but on 80k a week, no one would say anything. But over a five year period it’s the same outlay.

I’m happy with it, provided that we bring in two quality auditions up top. 

Skipp is actually a very good player, will improve our midfield 

But........   

He isn't exactly the signing we need right now.

If we'd improved in the areas we need to 1st (attacking midfielder and striker) and we had £20million spare then I'd be all for this signing because he most certainly improves us, but this signing is like booking a holiday without booking the flights to get there yet. It's a good deal, but we're banking on there being a couple of additions left that are suitable for us in the areas we need at a price we can afford.

I'm happy that we're getting a player like this, just don't know why we are

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

No one can still be pining for Mendy surely? The bloke was here for years and I was never actually sure what he was any good at by the time he left. Wasn't a particularly great tackler / interceptor, didn't have quick speed of thought, wasn't physical in the slightest. Keeping the ball ticking along safely should be a pre-requisite of someone playing in his position.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Only way it's a good signing is if he plays a key role in keeping us up...

which he won't....

If we stay (the biggest IF in the history of if's) then he would have played a key role in keeping us up

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If we stay (the biggest IF in the history of if's) then he would have played a key role in keeping us up

No he could be injured all season and we stay up so pissing north of 25 million plus wages still makes it a bad signing.