Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

FC25

46 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Isn't 2K supposed to be coming out with their own game, with the Fifa license? I know 2K is just as bad with the "pay to play" crap, but at least it'd be a different game.

Sounds decent TBF - 2K at least have a decent pedigree with sports games. And yeah, pay-to-win / gambling (sorry, "surprise mechanics") is inevitable. EA have set a precedent with it for being an absolutely behemoth cash cow. 

But competition breeds excellence and the FIFA devs dropped the ball over a decade ago. Why even bother trying to improve it if you know you're going to sell millions regardless? 

Basically anyone but fvcking EA who have taken the piss out of honest consumers for far too long. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Find it absolutely wild that people still play these games 

I get it. 

Especially with how big the pro scene is now and how some of the pros have been done with winning tournaments for tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds through poor game play.

On 19/08/2024 at 14:31, RoboFox said:

EA have pulled off one of the most egregious scams in gaming history rolling out the same shit game every year with a roster update and a different menu colour and charging £80 for it, and that's before we even get into the FUT stuff.

BUT, their licensing agreements mean they basically have a monopoly over the market. 

I've said it for a very long time but it's outrageous there's no longer a viable competitor to EAFC when so many publishers / developers have the financial clout and ablity to take them on. The industry is crying out for an alternative, especially now EAs grip on licensing seems to be loosening. 

Ok, I'll bite...and I will add the disclaimer that I'm ridiculously biased after spending the last year designing on FC and another 14 years on FM.

It's really not just rolling out the same shit every year. You quite literally can't win. I've been involved in versions with more ambitious changes and the criticism thrown our way is that people don't like the changes and the miss this and they miss that. On the other hand, if there are more minimal changes, and instead a focus on improving existing systems, people complain that it's just a rebadge and a money grab. The latter is always the one that people actually enjoy playing more once everything settles down.

With games like FC and FM we can't change the very core concept of the game, unlike other games. We can only improve the core concept and then add things around it, but a year is a short time and there is only so much that can be achieved within a cycle. Instead, features and modes are often rolled out over multiple years so that they can grow more organically.

On FC people will focus on the gameplay and rightly so, but that area of the game is incredibly complex and interwoven. One slight tweak can have a huge impact on the overall experience. It's a very fragile balancing act and it's why things like the Closed Beta exist.

There are over 1,000 people working on FC, as it's an absolute monster of a game when you consider all of the different modes. It's now effectively multiple games within one package. There is so much going on to improve modes, improve the tech, add modes and give people new ways to play. I think the problem is that if people don't engage with the other modes in the game, they don't realise the full extent of the work going on.

...and yes I'm biased, but I quite like the gameplay so far this year. It needs some tweaks for sure, but it feels more fluid and I find defending less frustrating compared to 24.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Ok, I'll bite...and I will add the disclaimer that I'm ridiculously biased after spending the last year designing on FC and another 14 years on FM.

It's really not just rolling out the same shit every year. You quite literally can't win. I've been involved in versions with more ambitious changes and the criticism thrown our way is that people don't like the changes and the miss this and they miss that. On the other hand, if there are more minimal changes, and instead a focus on improving existing systems, people complain that it's just a rebadge and a money grab. The latter is always the one that people actually enjoy playing more once everything settles down.

With games like FC and FM we can't change the very core concept of the game, unlike other games. We can only improve the core concept and then add things around it, but a year is a short time and there is only so much that can be achieved within a cycle. Instead, features and modes are often rolled out over multiple years so that they can grow more organically.

On FC people will focus on the gameplay and rightly so, but that area of the game is incredibly complex and interwoven. One slight tweak can have a huge impact on the overall experience. It's a very fragile balancing act and it's why things like the Closed Beta exist.

There are over 1,000 people working on FC, as it's an absolute monster of a game when you consider all of the different modes. It's now effectively multiple games within one package. There is so much going on to improve modes, improve the tech, add modes and give people new ways to play. I think the problem is that if people don't engage with the other modes in the game, they don't realise the full extent of the work going on.

...and yes I'm biased, but I quite like the gameplay so far this year. It needs some tweaks for sure, but it feels more fluid and I find defending less frustrating compared to 24.

Any thing interesting going on with career mode in the new game?

16 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I've never had a problem with the gameplay on FIFA. Some years were better than others, but the core gameplay mechanics are usually never that far off. People will moan about nuking pace, or pace being OP, the goalkeeper AI etc. It's always pretty much fine, but then again I never played online - and the people who really notice this stuff I'm sure are hardcore FUT players. 

But even the most biased person can't claim that other modes that aren't FUT haven't been neglected. It's patently obvious that (the non-profit making) Career Mode and Pro Clubs had gone for literal years with recurring issues of insufficient innovation and functionality. 

Nobody's expecting Football Manager when they boot up Career Mode, but at the same time nobody's going to convince me that 15+ years of development amounts to a handful of shallow, largely arbitrary systems and features.

Basically my problem is that EAFC has essentially become FUT with a few legacy modes to appease dwindling, lonely single-player lovers like myself and they still ask for £80 in return. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Will1981 said:

Thoughts on Leicester ratings, nice to see Braybrooke, Alves and Nelson added.

https://www.fut.gg/players/?gender=1&club_id=95

Pace for Faes (52) and especially Okoli (43) seems lower than it should be

I think Stolarczyk should be higher than 64 rated as well

Other than that I think everyone is about right

Quote looking forward to starting a career mode with Leicester as we have poor ratings. Transfer list Ward and Somoure on day one. 

Feels a bit harsh that Skipp is a higher rating than Winks. Think Winks should be one of our higher rated players. Think Vardy should also be higher but just with abysmal fitness stats so you cant get anything out of him for a whole game but he should still be over 80 for me.