Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

58 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Had to vent that here and sure I can't be the only one who dislikes her 

You appear to be the only one describing female athletes as "slappable" 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

lol Abit simplistic but Yes! (Although like i said before the other fighter WAS banned by the governing body prior!) but yes your right! ...But..... 

Banned by a very dodgy Russian led authority that has since been discredited. Good article here (for anyone who wants a decent report on it, rather than getting their info from hysterical twitter users). 

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2024/0731/1462837-explained-the-gender-controversy-miring-womens-olympic-boxing/

In other news - team GB is doing rather well isn't it?

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 3

On 31/07/2024 at 17:28, KFS said:

Brazilian athletes not doing much to fix the wrap they get about being overly emotional. Marta has just been sent off for kicking someone in the head and then SHE cries about it lol 

not the first great to get their send off cut short due to violent conduct:

2bc4679ff24cf071421dc66ab26abf57451ee7c9.jpg.thumb.jpg.b58a52b8b00e0132c626ab8edc60755a.jpg

On 01/08/2024 at 13:18, CrispinLA in Texas said:

. Legalised beating of a woman live on TV.....you couldn't make it up!

I mean you just did, and also if you don't want to get punched then really a boxing ring is the wrong place for you.

• Like 4

On 01/08/2024 at 15:05, Pliskin said:

. Thomas prior to transitioning to a female was a fairly average male swimmer at her university team, 

oh hey, missed this. it's false by the way. Lia was actually an elite swimmer in the men's divisions prior to starting transition, finishing 2nd in the 500m, 1000m and 1650m freestyles in the ivy league 2019 season. her ranking plummeted after starting hormones, and then came back up the rankings when moving to women's swimming. Her relative times in the 500m freestyle against the rest of the ivy league gives an indication of not actually having that significant an advantage

Lias mens finish: 4:18.72

Mens record: 4:06.32

Relative finish: 1.050x the record time

Lias womens finish: 4:33.24

Womens record: 4:24.06

Relative: 1.035x the record time

that would be a minor relative improvement, the sort of thing you might achieve as an athlete given 2 years of training perhaps?

all completely irrelevant mins, because this is just people crying foul at losing to women who are less feminine in appearance than them. the same freaks are losing their shit over Ledecky because even though she was an Olympian at the age of 15, they've got outrage to feel and facts be damned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

oh hey, missed this. it's false by the way. Lia was actually an elite swimmer in the men's divisions prior to starting transition, finishing 2nd in the 500m, 1000m and 1650m freestyles in the ivy league 2019 season. her ranking plummeted after starting hormones, and then came back up the rankings when moving to women's swimming. Her relative times in the 500m freestyle against the rest of the ivy league gives an indication of not actually having that significant an advantage

Lias mens finish: 4:18.72

Mens record: 4:06.32

Relative finish: 1.050x the record time

Lias womens finish: 4:33.24

Womens record: 4:24.06

Relative: 1.035x the record time

that would be a minor relative improvement, the sort of thing you might achieve as an athlete given 2 years of training perhaps?

all completely irrelevant mins, because this is just people crying foul at losing to women who are less feminine in appearance than them. the same freaks are losing their shit over Ledecky because even though she was an Olympian at the age of 15, they've got outrage to feel and facts be damned.

It’s not wholly false. 

Lia switched some of her events and competed in some different events when she competed as a woman. (This has come from someone I know who has competed against her).

In terms of rankings, this was pulled from the main American swimming platform. 

in the NCAA, Lia Thomas competed in the men’s division, in 2018-19. There, she ranked 554th in the 200-yd freestyle, and she is now fifth in the event this year.

Furthermore, in the 500-yd freestyle, Thomas was 65th in the country. Now, she ranked first place in the event this year. Finally, in the 1650 freestyle, she is now eighth in the nation, as opposed to 32nd in the men’s division.

Most of Lia’s times posted are yards which are the times you quoted, all American swimming within the NCAA is competed in 25 yard pools, which a lot of the team USA swimmers tend not to compete in post university. 

Any form of international swimming is then performed is a meters pool, usually 50 metres long course. A couple of Lia’s times for example in meters are 

50 free - 27.08

100 free - 57.33

200 fee - 1.55.83.

Which are all average times, but these are fairly old times because she probably hasn’t competed in meters for some time, but I imagine for example her 100m free is more likely to be around the 53-52 seconds mark now, There’s a large difference between yards and meters timings some swimmers are purely yard swimmers whereas others are better in long course meters, there times can massively differ due to their being less opportunities to turn and it’s lose under waters in a long course meter pool.

What will be interesting is if Lia is granted an opportunity to compete on the international stage for team USA and compete at the trials for the world championships or Olympics, only then will we get a more accurate idea of where she is at in terms of times, as of yet she hasn’t had the opportunity to do so. Which I think will happen for the games in LA. 

In terms of comments about Ledecky, that’s the first time I’ve ever been made aware of such comments, within the swimming world she is hailed as the greatest female swimmer of all time and is hugely respected as an athlete and a person. 

37 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Watching trampolining makes me dizzy, but I'm still impressed they can do all this flips and twists and turns and for the most part stay on the trampoline... 

it’s mental, anything like this, gymnastics and diving just blows my mind. I get a hernia just watching it!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Really Proud of Ben getting a silver medal in the men's 50m freestyle.

Great swim Ben Proud !

And Duncan Scott. - second behind the swimming sensation .

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1