Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

26 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Seems the BBC commentary was misleading our expectations after the routine

23 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Particularly the way too excitable Matt Baker, who keeps hanging medals around people's necks before the scores are revealed.

Fair to say, but then I'm not all that bothered about the Beeb bigging up GB competitors. Don't think their stance on impartiality has to extend to sport.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Fair to say, but then I'm not all that bothered about the Beeb bigging up GB competitors. Don't think their stance on impartiality has to extend to sport.

I actually like commentators expressing hope and delight for GB. Problem is when the comments are inaccurate 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's more the accuracy than impartiality. The athlete in this instance knew he had a technical inaccuracy in his routine but the commentators were suggesting it was a gold medal performance. With some sports is easy to see who's winning, as they're in front lol but with others we rely on them, the experts to advise on the performance. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Raj said:

Olympics should be the pinnacle of an athletes sport.

Football, Tennis Golf all have their big finals and tours where the players get their accolades and money. Abit farcical they are  in the Olympics 

Athletics have the Euros, WC and Golden/Diamond League too, Cycling have their Grand Tours, Monuments and WC etc. It's the same for many sports.

The Olympics used to have amateur athletes only as I recall, no?

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

I actually like commentators expressing hope and delight for GB. Problem is when the comments are inaccurate 

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

It's more the accuracy than impartiality. The athlete in this instance knew he had a technical inaccuracy in his routine but the commentators were suggesting it was a gold medal performance. With some sports is easy to see who's winning, as they're in front lol but with others we rely on them, the experts to advise on the performance. 

Yeah, fair to say.

The pundits (at least the expert one) should have spotted that technical deficiency when it happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shen said:

Athletics have the Euros, WC and Golden/Diamond League too, Cycling have their Grand Tours, Monuments and WC etc. It's the same for many sports.

Correct. Professionals were only allowed from Atlanta in 1996.

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Which of course was always an issue as the Soviets would send there top team(in hockey), whereas other countries sent amateur filled teams.

The Soviet Red Army were technically paid for being in the Army and not for hockey, but they were one of the best teams in the World.

Although, that did give us(well...the US) the "Miracle on Ice".

23 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Think it was a little earlier than that. I remember Steffi Graf winning the tennis when it was reintroduced in Seoul '88. And of course the US Dream Team with all the NBA stars won the basketball in Barcelona '92.

9 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Think it was a little earlier than that. I remember Steffi Graf winning the tennis when it was reintroduced in Seoul '88. And of course the US Dream Team with all the NBA stars won the basketball in Barcelona '92.

I read it on a wiki earlier so, I'm not saying it's definitely right. Maybe different sports had different inclusion dates. 

1 hour ago, shen said:

You hear athletes hear alot that this is the pinnacle of what they are training for, to get an Olympic medal.

I'm sure you wont hear many footballers, golfers or tennis players EVER say that👍🏾

• Like 2

Loads of family over tonight and I now look smug af as having seen Femke Bol perform in the past I just sat watching, took a swig of beer and with about 300m remaining stated that the Dutch would win 😂

• Haha 2