Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

You get more Moroccans, Tunisians, Algerians in France for colonial reasons who seems more susceptible to extremism than say people of Pakistani/Bangladeshi ethnicity here and we seem to do integration a lot better despite what people say. Also France were leaders in the bombing campaign in Iraq and Syria plus the rampant poverty in their big cities that make our cities look well off. 

this! thanks!

30 minutes ago, Lionator said:

You get more Moroccans, Tunisians, Algerians in France for colonial reasons who seems more susceptible to extremism than say people of Pakistani/Bangladeshi ethnicity here and we seem to do integration a lot better despite what people say. Also France were leaders in the bombing campaign in Iraq and Syria plus the rampant poverty in their big cities that make our cities look well off. 

Is there any evidence for this? That's a genuine question by the way, not being passive aggressive or anything. Would genuinely be interested to see some comparison. 

Can't get behind Football and other mainstream sports being involved in the Olympics but do enjoy the Athletics, Swimming and more obscure sports. Just a shame its not a red button thing these days where you can pick your sport. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bovril said:

Is there any evidence for this? That's a genuine question by the way, not being passive aggressive or anything. Would genuinely be interested to see some comparison. 

I could do a google search but I was kinda going off my own hypothesis from what I see around me 🤣 so flimsy. You have to remember France was at war with Algeria until 1962 so there’s still a lot of bitterness and anti-colonial sentiment in North African diasporas that are simply another generation along compared to us. France also have far more conservative laws towards the hijab for example. Our more relaxed approach would be seen as more of a ‘meet in the middle’ compared to France, so I guess more tolerant.

Anyway, less politics, enjoy the sports everyone!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I could do a google search but I was kinda going off my own hypothesis from what I see around me 🤣 so flimsy. You have to remember France was at war with Algeria until 1962 so there’s still a lot of bitterness and anti-colonial sentiment in North African diasporas that are simply another generation along compared to us. France also have far more conservative laws towards the hijab for example. Our more relaxed approach would be seen as more of a ‘meet in the middle’ compared to France, so I guess more tolerant.

Anyway, less politics, enjoy the sports everyone!! 

Yes Britain and France have quite different approaches, instinctively I quite like the French approach but don't know to what extent it's more 'successful'. 

Shame we dont have team gb football team, it would have a great opportunity for the upcoming youngsters to get more tournament experience. Winning gold at the Olympics is perhaps more of an exciting achievement than winning the under 21s euros... not taking anything away from that tournament.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Shame we dont have team gb football team, it would have a great opportunity for the upcoming youngsters to get more tournament experience. Winning gold at the Olympics is perhaps more of an exciting achievement than winning the under 21s euros... not taking anything away from that tournament.

Agree - would have been a good thing imo.

58 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I posted that on the previous page :D

It gets worse...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-soccer-drone-spying-copa-america-1.7276302

I suspect many people in other nations or cities do this but it's embarrassing to us Canadians. I think we need to take a hit and drop put of Olympic football in Paris. Tainted. Unfair to the players but I just can't get excited about them now. Asterisk.

Edited by Jattdogg

37 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Parade of the garlic and berets coming up. 

Bit shit so far, a parade of boats with not much happening. No atmosphere, no action, nothing to see here.

Lady Gaga was rubbish.

I want to see the burning of the sheep.

Edited by Parafox

8 minutes ago, broadstone fox said:

So far this is shocking open performance

Done on the cheap. Cringe worthy

Dont get me started on that idiot going into an empty stadium and the bloke running over roof tops with the torch

If the build up news items were to be believed, this was to be the best opening ceremony.... ever. 

Fail.

I'm now listening to R2 with Michelle Visage. That's how dull it is.

Edit: not literally with Michelle Visage. I mean, she's not like, in my kitchen.

That would be weird.

Edited by Parafox

2 minutes ago, broadstone fox said:

So far this is shocking open performance

Done on the cheap. Cringe worthy

Dont get me started on that idiot going into an empty stadium and the bloke running over roof tops with the torch

At first I thought it was the trailer of another crap Assassins Creed game by Ubisoft. 

Will they get the French President to parachute out of a helicopter with Inspector Clouseau I wonder. This isn't a patch on the 2012 Danny Boyle opening ceremony. Good that they've tried something different but its better in a stadium imo.