Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

2 hours ago, Raj said:

These multi millionaire basketballers should no way be competing in the Olympics.

Another farce, 

Lol what’s a competitors net worth got to do with competing in the olympics. Bank statements required to be uploaded before your space at the athlete village is authorised. Strip Usain Bolt of his golds!!

44 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Lol what’s a competitors net worth got to do with competing in the olympics. Bank statements required to be uploaded before your space at the athlete village is authorised. Strip Usain Bolt of his golds!!

Have you got out of bed the wrong side or did you actually bother to scroll back to read my rationale for what i posted before?

Go back and read what i wrote and then come back and apologise!!:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Have you got out of bed the wrong side or did you actually bother to scroll back to read my rationale for what i posted before?

Go back and read what i wrote and then come back and apologise!!:thumbup:

Only one side to get out of my bed tbf!! I agree the Olympics should be the highest level of the sport so football, tennis, golf (??), rugby should not be allowed. There should be squash, bowling, fishing included.

But Olympics is the highest level of international basketball???? Bank balance should not play a part. In that case footballers should not turn up for the World Cup or any internationals, they get paid peanuts for that

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trent Steel said:

No need to.put the tiara on though how pretentious and disrespectful 

Yeah she's Olympic champion but no need for that

Photographers seem to be leaving them around the track, I think. I've seen a few just kicking around on the floor near where they are, and they end up thrust into the hands of athletes. 

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Well, back in the day professionals weren't allowed. So all the golfers, tennis players, basketballers etc simply were not allowed to compete. It was relaxed in the 70's and I think by 88 anyone was allowed to compete. So depending on how old you are, people might remember them not being allowed and all the contention about allowing them. 

For me, it doesn't sit right in some sports. But then these days your big name athletes are all professionals aren't they. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trent Steel said:

No need to.put the tiara on though how pretentious and disrespectful 

Yeah she's Olympic champion but no need for that

I think a lot of it is commercial/sponsorship driven, like the Samsung selfies at the medal ceremonies.

I was thinking womens beach volleyball players were wearing bikinis for the 10pm kick off solely for the lads. But then did wonder why they’re wearing visors and sunglasses….All sponsorship driven apparently 

Like i said before for me the Olympics is THE pinnacle of these Athletes careers(some of whom like Boxing are still amateurs).

tennis, golf, footy, basketball all have their pinnacles where they aspire to reach so in my eyes they shouldn't even be in the Olympics.

I didn't mean the $$$ bank balance to have a criteria in if you should be allowed to be in the Olympics, i was just using it as an example of LeBron James who is worth 1.2 BILLION dollars, being in a showcase sporting competition alongside  a Bmxer ager 11 from China ora shooter from Turkey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, the Basketball World Cup isn't viewed with the same prestige as the Olympics. Hence the US basketballerss will elect to play the Olympics over the World Cup. It is the pinnacle of international basketball and the gap between the USA & others is getting continually smaller. 

KJT needs Thiam to have a bit of an off day in the Javelin to have a decent chance of gold going into the 800m. Based on current 800m PBs (both set within the last year), KJT can overturn a 100 point deficit from Thiam 

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

It appears Noah lyles had covid, carried out in a wheelchair! Given everything he does is exaggerated, it’s unfortunately a struggle to believe he was really that sick 

In any case, it was extremely reckless.  Now everybody around him could have it.

And...   having just had it, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  No, not even Rudkin!

31 minutes ago, turlo said:

KJT needs Thiam to have a bit of an off day in the Javelin to have a decent chance of gold going into the 800m. Based on current 800m PBs (both set within the last year), KJT can overturn a 100 point deficit from Thiam 

thiam threw 53m in June 

her PB is 59m 

id expect her to be knocking out a 55m throw this morning.  That will give her a lead of approx 130.  KJT would  then need  to finish 9 secs ahead in the 800m which isn’t happening.   I think she can manage 5secs (you suggest 7 secs)  which is around 70 points.  So we need thiam to throw below 50m to deliver an 800m which is exciting.  

Edited by st albans fox

2 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

KJT will go into the final event around 120 points down on Thiam. Don't think she will be able to make that up. KJT messed it up with her long jump.

So much scope for improvement in the javelin too. Same with a lot of the heptathletes. They just pootle along the runway and then just gently lob it out there. Get some welly behind it!

4 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

KJT will go into the final event around 120 points down on Thiam. Don't think she will be able to make that up. KJT messed it up with her long jump.

Her first failure meant she couldn’t attack jump 2.  She also underscored by small margins on the 200m and 110m hurdles.  But then she did better than expected on the high jump and shot put and her javelin today was pretty good. 

I think it’s fair to say that thiam is a simply a better heptathlete and if both are fit and firing then she will generally come out on top. 
no shame in finishing a close second 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

thiam threw 53m in June 

her PB is 59m 

id expect her to be knocking out a 55m throw this morning.  That will give her a lead of approx 130.  KJT would  then need  to finish 9 secs ahead in the 800m which isn’t happening.   I think she can manage 5secs (you suggest 7 secs)  which is around 70 points.  So we need thiam to throw below 50m to deliver an 800m which is exciting.  

7 seconds based on current 800m PBs set within the last year, although hard to judge KJTs form as she's not competed over 800m this year. By my calcs Thiam needed to throw below 53m to be within 100 points., which is out of the window now - she needed an off day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

It appears Noah lyles had covid, carried out in a wheelchair! Given everything he does is exaggerated, it’s unfortunately a struggle to believe he was really that sick 

It's a bad look either way.

He's either faking it because of his ego and he can't take losing (which I don't believe, by the way.)

Or, more likely, he knows he has covid and he says **** you to all the other elite athletes in the village and stadium and turns up to compete anyway. Which is unbelievably shitty. 

It's horrendous luck to get ill now at a major pinnacle moment in your career but these are setbacks that happen to elite sportspeople. You suck it up and get on with it. 

You don't know who he's given it to or whose olympics he's potentially ruined. 

1 hour ago, filthyfox said:

In any case, it was extremely reckless.  Now everybody around him could have it.

And...   having just had it, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  No, not even Rudkin!

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's a bad look either way.

He's either faking it because of his ego and he can't take losing (which I don't believe, by the way.)

Or, more likely, he knows he has covid and he says **** you to all the other elite athletes in the village and stadium and turns up to compete anyway. Which is unbelievably shitty. 

It's horrendous luck to get ill now at a major pinnacle moment in your career but these are setbacks that happen to elite sportspeople. You suck it up and get on with it. 

You don't know who he's given it to or whose olympics he's potentially ruined. 

He knew he had covid before he ran?! That's insane if so, and makes me think much less of him (even though he deserved his brilliant gold in 100m).

His argument will be there's nothing in the rules to stop him competing at such an important event, which is ofc true. But why come out and admit it?! Proper Martin Shkreli scorched earth thinking

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

He knew he had covid before he ran?! That's insane if so, and makes me think much less of him (even though he deserved his brilliant gold in 100m).

His argument will be there's nothing in the rules to stop him competing at such an important event, which is ofc true. But why come out and admit it?! Proper Martin Shkreli scorched earth thinking

Michael Johnson was saying this. There's no rule against him competing but ethically it was pretty shit. 

• Like 2