Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

I gave her alot of grief for the issues she bought to the games but gotta say Khalif beat everyone  infront of her and " deserved" the gold.

Easy for her in the end. 

9 hours ago, Raj said:

I gave her alot of grief for the issues she bought to the games but gotta say Khalif beat everyone  infront of her and " deserved" the gold.

Easy for her in the end. 

There is a strong possibility that Khelif is a biological male with a DSD. By refusing to even consider that possibility and conduct the appropriate tests to determine whether it is true or not, the IOC has utterly failed to uphold the integrity of the women’s boxing competition at these games. 

39 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

There is a strong possibility that Khelif is a biological male with a DSD. By refusing to even consider that possibility and conduct the appropriate tests to determine whether it is true or not, the IOC has utterly failed to uphold the integrity of the women’s boxing competition at these games. 

What should have been done that was not?

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The IOC should have conducted a gender eligibility test to verify whether the one undertaken by the IBA was accurate or not.

If that was done, I would suggest that firstly the same test should have been done to every female participant in the interests of fairness, and secondly that the details of the IBA test (which remain confidential, it would seem) would need to have been made public to make sure that they knew exactly what kind of test they were checking the accuracy of.

The IOC do seem to think that the rep of the IBA is mud, though. Of course, someone might say that even though that is the case, they may not be being deceitful in this particular case.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

If that was done, I would suggest that firstly the same test should have been done to every female participant in the interests of fairness, and secondly that the details of the IBA test (which remain confidential, it would seem) would need to have been made public to make sure that they knew exactly what kind of test they were checking the accuracy of.

The IOC do seem to think that the rep of the IBA is mud, though. Of course, someone might say that even though that is the case, they may not be being deceitful in this particular case.

I agree that every participant should be tested in the interests of fairness. I think the IBA can’t reveal the specific details of its test without Khelif’s consent. 

I agree that there are enough doubts about the IBA to not take its results as the final word on this matter. Hence why I think further tests are required. Let’s establish the truth and end this argument once and for all. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

What does this mean? 

A biological male with a difference in sex development - eg, with testes that remain in the body and therefore give the external impression of being female, but who have XY chromosomes and go through male puberty.

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I agree that every participant should be tested in the interests of fairness. I think the IBA can’t reveal the specific details of its test without Khelif’s consent. 

I agree that there are enough doubts about the IBA to not take its results as the final word on this matter. Hence why I think further tests are required. Let’s establish the truth and end this argument once and for all. 

... which brings us back to the details of the test being required in order to have the necessary clarity. Which might be be a bit of a headache.

Speaking personally, I'm happy to take the word of the IOC on this one at face value.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... which brings us back to the details of the test being required in order to have the necessary clarity. Which might be be a bit of a headache.

Speaking personally, I'm happy to take the word of the IOC on this one at face value.

But the IOC, by its own admission, hasn’t tested Khelif. So you’re making a conscious choice to take the word of an organisation that hasn’t bothered testing the athlete over one that has. I find that a surprising stance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

But the IOC, by its own admission, hasn’t tested Khelif. So you’re making a conscious choice to take the word of an organisation that hasn’t bothered testing the athlete over one that has. I find that a surprising stance.

Only on the basis that they haven't tested everyone though. Can't just test one person only - would that be discriminatory? 

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

I am happy that their own knowledge of testing and the organisations that carry it out is good enough for them to pass judgement on the matter without testing themselves, yes. Of course, running their own tests would add more clarity, I'm just not convinced of the absolute necessity to so, as you are.

Watching handball and it’s like an even more extreme version of everything boring about modern Guardiola-influenced football- the defending team make a horseshoe in their penalty area and the attacking team pass side to side trying to find gaps in the horseshoe. Then it goes to the other team and the same thing happens.

In a way I kind of feel like all team sports have eventually evolved into this kind of thing. I often wonder whether marginal gains and more elite athletes, which a great display of what humans can do, often make sports more boring to watch.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Only on the basis that they haven't tested everyone though. Can't just test one person only - would that be discriminatory? 

As discussed above, I think all athletes should be tested. In particular, as Khelif has been banned from competing by another body after being tested, I’m surprised she was allowed to compete without the IOC conducting its own test. 

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I am happy that their own knowledge of testing and the organisations that carry it out is good enough for them to pass judgement on the matter without testing themselves, yes. Of course, running their own tests would add more clarity, I'm just not convinced of the absolute necessity to so, as you are.

Fair enough, but I think that’s an extraordinary amount of trust to place in the IOC. It will be interesting to see what happens next - Khelif is currently banned from IBA competitions and may struggle to have any kind of career after the Olympics unless further tests are taken and the truth is finally established. I’m curious to see how that plays out. 

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Watching handball and it’s like an even more extreme version of everything boring about modern Guardiola-influenced football- the defending team make a horseshoe in their penalty area and the attacking team pass side to side trying to find gaps in the horseshoe. Then it goes to the other team and the same thing happens.

In a way I kind of feel like all team sports have eventually evolved into this kind of thing. I often wonder whether marginal gains and more elite athletes, which a great display of what humans can do, often make sports more boring to watch.

Perhaps we will have more Bolt-style natural geniuses that come in and change the game purely on their own strength, but yes, for now it appears that natural talent has found a ceiling and so elite level sport is about those marginal gains.

I know other people will disagree, but I rather like the more cerebral element there.

25 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

With all the controversy I do wonder why they haven't voluntary taken a gender test. Then they can say they have won fair and square, if that's the case.

• Like 1

The IBA won’t be around much longer. It’s undermined any position it had by being corrupt and a Russian pawn. The organisation is going to lose amateur Boxing its Olympic position too. 

What kind of organisation does releases this? 

https://www.iba.sport/news/the-iba-proves-ioc-member-and-coni-president-giovanni-malago-wrong/

Edited by CosbehFox

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

With all the controversy I do wonder why they haven't voluntary taken a gender test. Then they can say they have won fair and square, if that's the case.

Perhaps because she would think, rightly, that it would be discriminatory for her alone to take such a test when no others have. If that's the road that needs to be gone down, everyone involved should have been tested in the same way.

52 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps because she would think, rightly, that it would be discriminatory for her alone to take such a test when no others have. If that's the road that needs to be gone down, everyone involved should have been tested in the same way.

Maybe it is. But if they are female it's no big deal and provides lifetime proof.