Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EastAnglianFox

Paris Olympic Games 2024

57 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Snoop Dog has only gone and pulled out Dre.

Greatest Olympic moment ever.

Edit...could be topped at the opening ceremony in LA when the flame is lit and Snoop uses it to blaze a blunt lol

I think the Olympic cauldron should be a blunt.

• Like 2

Using the golds as the criterion for the final medals' table is absurd. Surely 3pts for gold, 2pts for silver and 1pt for bronze would give a much fairer indication. The Netherlands being above the UK despite winning slightly over half our total shows how bonkers that table is.

41 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Using the golds as the criterion for the final medals' table is absurd. Surely 3pts for gold, 2pts for silver and 1pt for bronze would give a much fairer indication. The Netherlands being above the UK despite winning slightly over half our total shows how bonkers that table is.

You're right in that the current medal table, is really just based on an arbitrary system ... which counts Gold as worth a million silvers, and likewise Silver vs Bronze.  Not quite "fair".

But all sports have an arbitrary system, if you think about it.   Football is 3 points for a win, but up to 1981 it was always 2 points.    If you changed again the number of points allocated to wins and draws, you would probably end up with a slightly different table.

19 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

Phoenix <3

Best French band singing in English!

here's the best French band singing in French:

19 hours ago, The Bear said:

Too Young is a banger. 

True, though I'm more of a 1901 fan myself

• Like 1

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

Not quite sure how rewarding winning is absurd

• Like 1

On 11/08/2024 at 17:45, purpleronnie said:

Thought it was top notch, although i thought the BBC didnt cover all the sports and the whole thing was very swimming heavy.

But apart from that it was great.

I have to say I thought the crowds were amazing every even seemed to be packed to the rafters, and some magnificent settings also.  Apparantly there were record numbers of tickets sold beating the previous best Atlanta 1996.

I think the only place you could probably beat it would be in LA next time around, although we'll have to endure the endless USA, USA chants.

Got back at the weekend after 5 days in Paris.  Agree with just about all of this.

Venues were packed and the support from all nations was fantastic. I think ESPN actually have the TV rights and you could watch it all on Discovery+ for a one -off £3.99 payment.  BBC just tends to show GB stuff.

Some of the organisation was not as good as London and the volunteers were definitely not as good but were still decent.

Attending London and Paris are definitely two of the best  sporting experiences of my life. 

I don't think LA can top either to be honest. They will, of course try to have massive crowds. Apparently they are going to build a 40k venue for the swimming but the city is a bit of a dump and they have pulled back from building a proper integrated transport system which from a spectator point of view was one of the strengths of Paris. Also I wonder how climate change might affect things even more in 4 years time. Temperatures over there can get to extreme levels.

Still I'd recommend anyone going if they can. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...