Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Should Online Influencers be Restricted Or Monitored?

The fvcking 80s! lol

Man is just a barrowload of shit takes.

But then he wasn't being as cancelled by snowflakes who can't handle the truth as he is these days :rolleyes:lol

• Haha 1

Influencers are used an extension to business’ marketing strategy these days - particularly consumable goods - no one watches adverts on tv so the way to get in people’s heads is for marketeers to choose someone attractive on Instagram to peddle their product. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Influencers are used an extension to business’ marketing strategy these days - particularly consumable goods - no one watches adverts on tv so the way to get in people’s heads is for marketeers to choose someone attractive on Instagram to peddle their product. 

The ridiculous craze around the energy drink Prime being a good case of that, I think.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Parafox said:

It seems to me that these individuals and groups have in some cases a quite positive effect but also can be adversely influential particularly amongst the younger and less life savvy amongst society.

Should there be a statutory code of conduct ?

"Should they be restricted or monitored", no just ignored.

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

"Should they be restricted or monitored", no just ignored.

I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view - unfortunately, we live in a society where amplifying 'noteworthy' content trumps all morality.

22 hours ago, Parafox said:

It seems to me that these individuals and groups have in some cases a quite positive effect but also can be adversely influential particularly amongst the younger and less life savvy amongst society.

Should there be a statutory code of conduct ?

If you're suggesting some kind of cull, I'm all for it!

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Isn't all advertising influencer based and can cause harm, where does one start and finish with the banning?

Other forms of advertising are strictly regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority and have been for years.

I guess their reach extends to social media too, but so much more difficult to stop individuals rather than broadcasters or newspapers, etc.

Not looking to instigate drama but what's the situation with Col? Did he really get his whole account suspended? But if he did then presumably Mark has greenlighted Col posting from a guest account? 

@Mark Did you get a chance to read my DM to you? Would be nice to get a reply in your own time. 

If I can influence anyone it would be to ask that we remember why we are here which is to share our love or connection with LCFC... 

3 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Not looking to instigate drama but what's the situation with Col? Did he really get his whole account suspended? But if he did then presumably Mark has greenlighted Col posting from a guest account? 

He asked for his account to be deleted. He's not posting as a guest, those posts were made before.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

He asked for his account to be deleted. He's not posting as a guest, those posts were made before.

Oh I see. Seemed like a fundamentally decent person but I know from experience that a break at least can be a good idea. Sorry if what I wrote sounded accusatory in any way. It's good of you to honour people's requests like that. :thumbup:

Social media has unearthed some absolute pond life who are seemingly incapable of earning an honest living and have therefore turned to grifting.

Auditors are the worst, taking enormous pleasure from harassing and goading mostly low-paid security staff and labourers in the hope of getting a confrontation they can film for clicks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Social media has unearthed some absolute pond life who are seemingly incapable of earning an honest living and have therefore turned to grifting.

Auditors are the worst, taking enormous pleasure from harassing and goading mostly low-paid security staff and labourers in the hope of getting a confrontation they can film for clicks. 

Anyone describing themself as a citizen journalist can get in the bin.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2024 at 10:32, Sampson said:

As LiberalFox says, how can you legally define what an influencer is so it only affects those giving out potentially dangerous advice or opinions? That feels very legally iffy and can almost certainly be exploited if certain types of parties got into power. 

I think this thread just shows that humans of any country or society would happily embrace authoritarianism if it’s framed against people they don’t like. You can’t shut down or monitor a person’s livelihood because of a few bad apples or you don’t consider them a traditional way to work tbh. There’s countless great educational influencers and content creators out there.

I watch some YouTubers who just play video games or board games I like, I’m happy to see them earn a living off it so they can do it full time. Same with others who are educational channels who discuss a wide range of scientific topics I probably would’ve had little chance to learn about 25 years ago. 

Like a lot of things on the internet, humans just don’t know how to deal with and frame the overload of information. I don’t know what the answer is, none of us do, because we seem to have lost control on critical thinking and framing information and political debate to the point where everyone’s opinion is considered equal when it shouldn’t be, but I can’t really see how banning influencers is it. 

Coming back to this because a. it is seriously accurate and b. someone smart better figure out an answer fast because the consequences of it all are only going to get worse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

@Mark Did you get a chance to read my DM to you? Would be nice to get a reply in your own time. 

If I can influence anyone it would be to ask that we remember why we are here which is to share our love or connection with LCFC... 

That's the cornerstone of this forum but, the great thing about FT I think, is the wider ranging topics and discussions that go on. Unlike other club forums, we seem to have a very good and intelligent group of posters that can offer opinions and debate topics as they arise.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Parafox said:

That's the cornerstone of this forum but, the great thing about FT I think, is the wider ranging topics and discussions that go on. Unlike other club forums, we seem to have a very good and intelligent group of posters that can offer opinions and debate topics as they arise.

I'd like to think so although I do think there's a little bit of gatekeeping goes on perhaps unintentionally.