Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Palermo Friendly

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not even bothering arguing with you to be honest, Daka is objectively better than Cannon. 

I'm not suggesting Daka is the second coming of Ronaldo but Cannon has done very little in his career so far. 

Has no remarkable pace, strength or movement. He's an alright striker of a ball within twelve yards of goal and that's about it. 

There is no point arguing, you’re correct. Daka has got worse with every season he’s played for us. How anybody can back him sincerely is astonishing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not even bothering arguing with you to be honest, Daka is objectively better than Cannon. 

I'm not suggesting Daka is the second coming of Ronaldo but Cannon has done very little in his career so far. 

Has no remarkable pace, strength or movement. He's an alright striker of a ball within twelve yards of goal and that's about it. 

The little I've seen of Cannon is he's a Box player or Poacher in a similar mould as Greaves, Cottee, or Clark. Two of which played for us.

Cannon has a lot to live up to, I suspect he'll be loaned out this season as I don't think he's quite ready for the Premiership yet. 

27 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

The little I've seen of Cannon is he's a Box player or Poacher in a similar mould as Greaves, Cottee, or Clark. Two of which played for us.

Cannon has a lot to live up to, I suspect he'll be loaned out this season as I don't think he's quite ready for the Premiership yet. 

He is similar to Kane and he was sitting on our bench at one point maybe give him a go 

Extended highlights on YouTube didn’t make it look too bad. I thought people said our media team was crap? They clearly did a great job editing to control the narrative (and included the usual 3 mins of players walking out to pad the run time) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phoneticerror said:

There is no point arguing, you’re correct. Daka has got worse with every season he’s played for us. How anybody can back him sincerely is astonishing.

Yes, but that doesn’t make the alternatives better by default. 

16 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yes, but that doesn’t make the alternatives better by default. 

You saw Cannon fill in during January when Vardy was injured and Daka was at AFCON right? Lad stepped up to the plate and helped us win games. When did Daka last do that?

36 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

He is similar to Kane and he was sitting on our bench at one point maybe give him a go 

I dont think he's nearly as mobile as Kane, If he was I'd feel a lot happier about him. I'm all for giving him a go but we go with him then we're in trouble if he does'nt deliver.

To have any chance this season we really need a 20 + goal Striker along with Vardy and possibly Daka and let Cannon gain more experience on a loan where he'll likely play every game. 

5 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

You saw Cannon fill in during January when Vardy was injured and Daka was at AFCON right? Lad stepped up to the plate and helped us win games. When did Daka last do that?

Moscow away. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Astounds me how much people take from friendlies. They mean absolutely nothing.

All about fitness.

Man City lost to Celtic, Chelsea drew to Wrexham.

I think some of our best seasons have come off the back of 'bad' pre seasons and some of our worst season have come of the back of 'good' pre seasons - Not a rule of thumb, but the point being take nothing from them.

Might be wrong but have a vague memory of 96/97 pre season being really poor after the playoff win (losses to Torquay, Rotherham etc? ) but then finished top half in PL and won the League Cup. I remember O'Neil joking that preseason no journo was brave enough to predict us as high as 19th. 

24 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Tbf he did do exactly that before going to afcon and when he returned looked absolutely shit again. Anyway when are you fannying around with the yellow on the away top it’s been 2 days 😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

we played three league games in that time, beating Huddersfield, losing to cov and drawing to ipswich. Are we really saying that scoring in a 4-1 win at home to huddersfield is stepping up and winning us games?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Absolute rubbish - even in his brief cameo last night cannon looked twice the player - for a start he can trap and pass a ball - he closes down and actually challenges - Daka has regressed massively and he was a project when he arrived - he needs to move on and Cannon reminds me of Nuge - we should be giving him minutes preseason to see if he could be useful off the bench !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

we played three league games in that time, beating Huddersfield, losing to cov and drawing to ipswich. Are we really saying that scoring in a 4-1 win at home to huddersfield is stepping up and winning us games?

It’s certainly better than Daka’s performances when we were having our dry spell towards the end of the season. I don’t think Cannon has been given enough of a chance, whereas Daka has demonstrated he’s below average.

Edited by phoneticerror

43 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Tbf he did do exactly that before going to afcon and when he returned looked absolutely shit again. Anyway when are you fannying around with the yellow on the away top it’s been 2 days 😂

Hahaha. I won’t be 😂

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

It’s certainly better than Daka’s performances when we were having our dry spell towards the end of the season. I don’t think Cannon has been given enough of a chance, whereas Daka has demonstrated he’s below average.

and far worse than Dakas December-February...

Daka is evidently someone who struggles for confidence. If that goal v Leeds isn't wrongly disallowed and he doesn't miss a 1v1 a few minutes later then he goes on to finish as our undisputed best striker, statistically he was our best striker in 2022/23 anyway. He's better than Cannon, he just needs people to get off his back for 5 minutes. You'd think having seen the difference between Iheanacho during lockdown vs the rest of the time our fans might have learnt about how crowds baying for their blood can make players underperform but apparently not.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Absolute rubbish - even in his brief cameo last night cannon looked twice the player - for a start he can trap and pass a ball - he closes down and actually challenges - Daka has regressed massively and he was a project when he arrived - he needs to move on and Cannon reminds me of Nuge - we should be giving him minutes preseason to see if he could be useful off the bench !

This is rubbish, Cannon is one of the laziest forwards in terms of pressing we've ever had, which is unacceptable at 21 when he should have plenty of miles in his legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

and far worse than Dakas December-February...

Daka is evidently someone who struggles for confidence. If that goal v Leeds isn't wrongly disallowed and he doesn't miss a 1v1 a few minutes later then he goes on to finish as our undisputed best striker, statistically he was our best striker in 2022/23 anyway. He's better than Cannon, he just needs people to get off his back for 5 minutes. You'd think having seen the difference between Iheanacho during lockdown vs the rest of the time our fans might have learnt about how crowds baying for their blood can make players underperform but apparently not

Daka is pooo, lets move on

Edited by Dr The Singh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Fox said:

presumably that's why last season on a per 90 basis Daka made more tackles (nearly 5x), with a greater tackle success rate, more ball recoveries, with more shot and goal creating actions, more passes with a better pass completion ratio. all Cannon had on him really was progressive carries per 90, which given the way that the striker role under enzo was intended to drop in and bring the wingers in isn't a particularly big deal.

daka is seriously underrated on here tbqh

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=ca45605e&p1yrfrom=2023-2024&player_id2=4506aec5&p2yrfrom=2023-2024

Do football clubs get audited because if they do, the findings from the signing of Tom Cannon to back up those of Patson Daka and Iheanacho should be enough to report major failings in our operations.

All three of them are forwards who excel in a front two and yet we seldom deploy such a system.

Patson Daka's entire impressive career at Salzburg was in a 4-2-2-2 with another striker and the flashes of brilliance for us came in a front two as well. No shit.

Tom Cannon was signed on the back of a solid half a season on loan at Preston where you guessed it, he played in a front two and got 9 goals in 20 games. His skill set / weaknesses are clear to see that they are boosted by playing with another striker to create space for him to come alive in the box, rather than do it himself.

Iheanacho, whilst his Man City form might not have shown him to have played in a front two, his good performances at Leicester almost exclusively were in a front two, both in 2019/20 and 2020/21 when he single handedly tried to keep us in the top 4 and fire us to Wembley.

Despite all of this we don't ever do the due diligence to see whether our managers favour such a system and yet we still sign strikers for that way of playing. Infuriating.

• Like 4