Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FrankieADZ

Reo Hatate

38 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Hang on, no one is seriously judging a player on their height right? 😂 

It’s always something a manager should consider when building a squad - and you look at our squad / starting 11 yesterday, there are a significant number of sub 6ft’er’s in it.

That might have been a reason Cooper turned to Soumaré late on last night - feeling some extra height to aid in dealing in any late set-pieces might be valuable.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It’s always something a manager should consider when building a squad - and you look at our squad / starting 11 yesterday, there are a significant number of sub 6ft’er’s in it.

That might have been a reason Cooper turned to Soumaré late on last night - feeling some extra height to aid in dealing in any late set-pieces might be valuable.

Man City are were consistently the shortest team in the league when they first began winning everything under Pep. The second shortest were Klopp’s Liverpool. I’m not saying height is completely irrelevant but it’s vastly overstated by many fans. 

Just now, RumbleFox said:

Man City are were consistently the shortest team in the league when they first began winning everything under Pep. The second shortest were Klopp’s Liverpool. I’m not saying height is completely irrelevant but it’s vastly overstated by many fans. 

I do agree, but also I think size and physicality can compensate for quality to an extent when you're not talking about a Man City level squad

4 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

I do agree, but also I think size and physicality can compensate for quality to an extent when you're not talking about a Man City level squad

The tallest teams were usually the ones at the bottom of the league. Historically. 

16 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

The tallest teams were usually the ones at the bottom of the league. Historically. 

Don’t confuse having the tallest team to having enough players of a sufficient physical stature to be able to deal with set-pieces and other game situations.

You don’t need everyone to be 6ft 4 - but you do need enough players of size / ability in the air across the side to ensure you’re not at a disadvantage.

If a team consisted of 11 Raheem Sterling’s… they struggle against 11 Haaland’s. 

So Hatate’s 5ft 8, I think BDCR is 5ft 7, Facundo, Ricardo and Skipp are 5ft 9… you probably wouldn’t want to pick all 5 in the same 11.

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Don’t confuse having the tallest team to having enough players of a sufficient physical stature to be able to deal with set-pieces and other game situations.

You don’t need everyone to be 6ft 4 - but you do need enough players of size / ability in the air across the side to ensure you’re not at a disadvantage.

If a team consisted of 11 Raheem Sterling’s… they struggle against 11 Haaland’s. 

So Hatate’s 5ft 8, I think BDCR is 5ft 7, Facundo, Ricardo and Skipp are 5ft 9… you probably wouldn’t want to pick all 5 in the same 11.

I merely stated height is overstated in importance which it is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But that wasn’t my point?

Yes but your point wasn’t salient to the one I was originally making. In fact I wasn’t even asserting anything. I just pointed out to other posters that height wasn’t the be all and end all. I have no interest either way really, in how tall someone is. I noted that Man City had the smallest team in the league for a number of seasons merely to illustrate that a small team can be successful. I wasn’t attaching any causal relationship but using as an interesting example. I too believe a good taller team will beat an equally good smaller team. But height as a measure of “goodness” is backwards thinking. 

Edited by RumbleFox

This is what the latest post On Talk Celtic said after watching  the Leicester game

'Don’t think hatate is fit enough for the premier league after watching that. Both midfields never stop running and pressing which hatate doesn’t necessarily do and usually after 60 mins seems to go a bit quiet in our games. Think he’ll flop when he goes down there eventually' 

9 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I merely stated height is overstated in importance which it is. 

Depends. It generally seems to be a stat that's ignored in football outside of centre halfs these days. You need to be able to defend set pieces in your own box and then depending on how you want to play have attacking options up the field.

Man City can play a back four of Walker, Dias, Stones and Garvidol and sit Rodri in front of them with Walker being the shortest of the five at 6ft should they need to. Height is a useful option to have in the squad but not essential for every game as a lot of teams have moved away from a target man style centre forward. Man City being one of the few who actually still have one.

Sorry to continue the height bollocks haha. But, I’m obtuse……..

Studies have been carried out on the matter. Zero correlation has been found between height and performance in football. In the biggest study they’ve done, three of the shortest teams they found were Man City, Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

Anyway I’ll stop now. I’m annoying myself. 

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Studies have been carried out on the matter. Zero correlation has been found between height and performance in football. In the biggest study they’ve done, three of the shortest teams they found were Man City, Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

What does that have do do with Leicester, we don't have and will never have their calibre of player or play at the levels of 3 of the greatest club sides ever.

The commentators on MNF remarked on the height difference between Leicester and Spurs on corners and our lack of physicality and mismatches of our markers defending them.

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Hobbiton FC is not happening, get over it.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1