Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

2 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

I’m not saying he’s a good signing, but the comparisons to Daka and Vardy quite aren’t right. He’s a different type of player, busy, works hard and creates space and chances for others. He’s actually alright, just his age that’s the issue for me. I’d we looked at other options for sure. 

A lot of people on here are mistakenly thinking he's a striker. He isn't. He's a wide attacker. And his stats are very reasonable for someone playing that position. 

Personally, I wouldn't sign him because I think we are collecting too many 30+ players now and we already signed BDCR. And I think an true out-and-out striker should be our priority right now because I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from. But he's really not a bad player, and the hysterical overreaction to this link is incredible even by FoxesTalk standards.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's appalling business if we go for it. We've signed Bobby Reid to do that. Less assists but more goals from the same position. Either way, if both are to make telling contributions then that's less game time for Mavididi and dare I say Fatawu which is just bizarre.

I hear you - and I obviously see you are bang against this one for plenty of good reasons - I’m slightly less against it because of the reasons I gave - I don’t think him and reed are bad back up down the wings at all - both come as really hard working and good attitudes as well from what other clubs fans say - we have zero cover for Mav or Fatawu and no idea if they can make the step to this level - we obviously don’t have the money to go after some of the players I listed on the other thread earlier and we know we are in big trouble with point deductions etc - I stand by if it’s relatively good value I don’t see it as a bad thing 

Edited by jv1
  • Like 2

Just now, jv1 said:

I hear you - and I am obviously see you are bang against this one for plenty of good reasons - I’m slightly less against it because of the reasons I gave - I don’t think him and reed are bad back up down the wings at all - both come as really hard working and good attitudes as well from what other clubs fans say - we have zero cover for Mav or Fatawu and no idea if they can make the step to this level - we obviously don’t have the money to go after some of the players I listed on the other thread earlier and we know we are in big trouble with point deductions etc - I stand by if it’s relatively good value I don’t see it as a bad thing 

Wages will be high as well and we don't have a growing nucleus of young players being recruited who give us a safety net to raise serious transfer fees if and when we need it. I genuinely would rather be in the Championship trying to build something than fighting to stay up making extremely short term decisions that leave you no better off if you do somehow stay up for a year.

I'm probably in the minority as I don't have a huge appetite for the PL in general, it's boring.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Starting to wonder if Jons forgotten we aren’t in europe and have less games? we don’t need bodies, we need quality 

Starting to wonder if Jon's forgotten there's a men's team and is just concentrating improving the ladies one.

Edited by MGLCFC

1 minute ago, South Shire Fox said:

Quantity not quality seems to be order of the day when it comes to Cooper. Look at his 30 signings at Forest

Think it was reported that was not his ideal at all and most were imposed.

If we did sign him, I would be extremely worried about this club as a whole. For me, making all the wrong decisions. I hope there’s no truth in it. Personally I think we should not be making any transfers that don’t add value or assets to the squad. It’s a long rebuild process and we need to think long term. Go back to a fvcking model that worked, why change it, so frustrating.  

Edited by DezFox

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wages will be high as well and we don't have a growing nucleus of young players being recruited who give us a safety net to raise serious transfer fees if and when we need it. I genuinely would rather be in the Championship trying to build something than fighting to stay up making extremely short term decisions that leave you no better off if you do somehow stay up for a year.

I'm probably in the minority as I don't have a huge appetite for the PL in general, it's boring.

Championship for me. Much more honest and entertaining ( well post Maresca !)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

A lot of people on here are mistakenly thinking he's a striker. He isn't. He's a wide attacker. And his stats are very reasonable for someone playing that position. 

Personally, I wouldn't sign him because I think we are collecting too many 30+ players now and we already signed BDCR. And I think an true out-and-out striker should be our priority right now because I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from. But he's really not a bad player, and the hysterical overreaction to this link is incredible even by FoxesTalk standards.

2 year contract and a couple of mill to sign him I think loads of us would accept. But you just know we'll offer him a 3 year deal on 80k a week, after paying Palace 7m for him.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Very poor 

we shouldn't be collecting 30 plus year olds on stupid contracts 

have we not learnt anything 

How can you learn when the same people are still in charge and don’t think they have done anything wrong 😂

• Like 1

It might not be true, I haven't done the digging into it, but in my mind Nixon is about as reliable as Sean From Enerdby (apologies if he is well connected and I have that wrong!)

But if we work on the assumption it is true, even if it was on a free transfer and we hadn't signed BDR then I think it would be a very questionable signing...the fact we will pay money, offer him a 2/3 year deal and he is of a very similar mold to BDR just makes it absolutely mind boggling we would even be sniffing around him.

If cooper/rudkin believe we need premier league experience fine, but I would argue we have alot already, vesty, Ricardo, winks, justin, vardy, ndidi, coady. We have alot. And I can't think of many teams who managed to stay up and made a success from buying old cloggers looking for a last pay check.

With what little money we do have we should be maximising any and all of that spend on younger talent that can both give us a chance at staying up but also be flipped for profit.

My only hope is, he was the back up to BDR and it's a lagging report/leak.

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

It’s not the ability, it’s not the lack of goals… it’s the age! 

He’s been a good servant for palace and helped their flair players thrive but he’s 32, which is when a player starts to slow down. 

We absolutely can’t have a team of coady, vestergarde, bdr, vardy and ayew it’s simply all built on days past. That’s not a way to grow the club and it wouldn’t be enough to survive even if we started on 0.

Why do we want players on the way down when we can buy someone with a little more risk but with resale value. There’s plenty of young players out there that can do what ayew does it’s a lazy signing and as we’ve seen with bertrand and even albrighton, the drop off around that age can be significant!  Particularly for a player that relies on athleticism. 

There’s a few things it signals, one is that we are still focused on this leadership all over the pitch angle and secondly that cooper wants to stick to what he knows… that’s dinosaur football management and a good manager would prefer talent over safety. 

Appreciate the point, but we do also have Mavididi, Fatawu, McAteer, Alves and Cannon - and have been linked with plenty of players with their best years ahead of them (Soule, O'Riley, Nelson).

Anyway I'll absent myself from the thread - the negativity on this place is too much for me sometimes! lol

6 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Our signings so far suggest we are preparing for the championship so for once i have to applaud the dumb fuchs at the club for thinking ahead:brendan:

They aren't even signings to prepare for the Championship, I wish they were which would be young players with vast potential on modest wages.

• Like 2

If we’d already signed a couple of exciting young attacking midfielders, Ayew might be regarded as a useful squad addition and nobody would be too bothered. But we’re less than three weeks before the start of the season and it’s starting to look like we’re yet again struggling to get deals over the line. A link with an exciting name fizzles out and a link with an ageing journeyman emerges, and it all starts to feel wearily familiar. We’d better hope that a lot more is going on behind the scenes than is being reported in the media. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I could just about tolerate this if we hadn't signed Reid. This is nonsensical. 

That's about where I'm at tbh. Reid or Ayew but not both. As we already have Reid, bringing in Ayew as well would shift the balance a bit. Having them both on the pitch at the same time has the air of relegation about it.

I'm just hoping there's a credible Soulé-esque rumour to be revealed this window.

• Like 2