Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

I always used to think of Jordan Ayew as the definition of a mediocre PL player and now it looks like we're getting him in the twilight years of his career, just typical. Ridiculous to pay a fee for him as well. Just watch Rudkin give him a 3 year contract, so he'll still be here as a bench warmer on silly money in the Championship when his legs have completely gone. 

8 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I always used to think of Jordan Ayew as the definition of a mediocre PL player and now it looks like we're getting him in the twilight years of his career, just typical. Ridiculous to pay a fee for him as well. Just watch Rudkin give him a 3 year contract, so he'll still be here as a bench warmer on silly money in the Championship when his legs have completely gone. 

We have the second lowest valued squad in the League, it’s just another sign of the times.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Reading this thread is hilarious, people read so much into random links and comments  

I hope you are correct but our Recruitment Team and Rudders are serial offenders.

46 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

We have the second lowest valued squad in the League, it’s just another sign of the times.

Is that true ? Is there a source / table , I’d be interested to see. 

7 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Is that true ? Is there a source / table , I’d be interested to see. 

Not the same, but over the last decade the most indicative indicator of final position has been total wages rahter than squad value:

QMhwnJW.png

This won't be up to date yet with more signings coming in, but this is quite a big change for us from a few seasons ago when we had the 7th highest wages.

And of course, despite being a good indicator, there is one team that has the unusual record of both over-performing AND under-performing their expected finish based on wages. That team of course being Leicester City who finished 1st and 18th respectively.

Here's our Squad Value, though this one is much harder to gauge:

N3HfgOM.png

Edited by StriderHiryu

4 minutes ago, hilairehair said:

Palace fan here. Haven't read the whole thread, but you may be pleasantly surprised by Ayew. Whilst the above is true (although it'll likely be about 2 goals a season), that isn't really where his strengths lie. What he is excellent at is bringing the ball from deep defensive areas and getting you up the pitch. Plus he ALWAYS win the foul. Probably the best at doing this I've seen and has been fairly important to the way we have played. Presumably you will be under the cosh in quite a few matches this season, so I can totally see the reasoning behind this.  Personally, I think we're going to miss what he brings.

He never smiles, even on the odd occasion when he scores. It's endearing.

Plus he is capable (very occasionally) of doing this (1 min 20 in) 

Literally smiling on the YouTube video header

Thanks for the insight 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, hilairehair said:

Palace fan here. Haven't read the whole thread, but you may be pleasantly surprised by Ayew. Whilst the above is true (although it'll likely be about 2 goals a season), that isn't really where his strengths lie. What he is excellent at is bringing the ball from deep defensive areas and getting you up the pitch. Plus he ALWAYS win the foul. Probably the best at doing this I've seen and has been fairly important to the way we have played. Presumably you will be under the cosh in quite a few matches this season, so I can totally see the reasoning behind this.  Personally, I think we're going to miss what he brings.

Thanks Mr Parish.  You will find it relatively easy to get Rudders Y-Fronts around his ankles. If you have any contacts at Chelsea, they will give you tips on this.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, hilairehair said:

Whenever I've seen Ayew I've always been impressed by his work rate and ball winning at the top of the pitch, and overall he seems like a really handy player to have in a team. I think having number 9 on his shirt really confuses people who don't watch Palace very often than he's a straight forward striker. Has he regressed over the last season? Most people on here have seemingly made up their minds without really having seen him play / purely based on attacking numbers, which is a shame.

Edited by FoxTrott
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, hilairehair said:

Thanks for the info. In your opinion, what do you think is a reasonable fee him out of interest?

I'm slightly warming to him as I think his hard working style of play will be useful in certain games. Bearing in mind he's 33 in 1 months time and out of contract next year, a nominal transfer fee (or even free) of under £1m would the max we should give.

If you were a team like Brentford , Bournemouth you could see him ending up there. But we are now in that category at premier league level. I think we have to accept this is about the best we can hope for transfer wise.

8 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Thanks for the info. In your opinion, what do you think is a reasonable fee him out of interest?

A year left on contract; Probably £2-£3 million...? I would rather keep him if it were only that much. Is the feeling Leicester are going to be a counter attacking side this season? If so, he would fit right in...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Cooper wasn't a Reid signing? 

I think that is 100% a guaranteed fact.

Otherwise there really is something weird about the way we operate. 

It might even involve time travel. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not the same, but over the last decade the most indicative indicator of final position has been total wages rahter than squad value:

QMhwnJW.png

This won't be up to date yet with more signings coming in, but this is quite a big change for us from a few seasons ago when we had the 7th highest wages.

And of course, despite being a good indicator, there is one team that has the unusual record of both over-performing AND under-performing their expected finish based on wages. That team of course being Leicester City who finished 1st and 18th respectively.

Here's our Squad Value, though this one is much harder to gauge:

N3HfgOM.png

I bet Rudkin saw this and thought if we just pay crap players more money we can win the league!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jv1 said:

No way reed was a cooper signing - absolutely no chance and we haven’t signed anyone else over 30 - let’s at least get the facts straight - just like soule wouldn’t have been a cooper signing either but everyone would have been waxing lyrical if that one got done - we will currently be in for loads of players - most working out if they are going to get game time at their clubs this season before agreeing to leave - we could and should have had a few more in by now but we all know our predicament is very complicated and I’m sure it’s proving difficult to convince players to come for a guaranteed relegation battle - if we haven’t got a couple over the line this time next week then maybe it’s panic stations but I’m convinced there are a few that haven’t broken in the media that are close 

Reed was a Cooper signimg, 100%, Reed said it was Cooper who convinced him to join us on one of his interviews.