Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

Just now, Lcfc82 said:

He’s the type of player you pick up on a free when their contract expires. It’s the fact we’re paying a transfer fee for him that’s annoying.

Yup I wouldn't mind if it was a free or 1m.... Palace fans on their  forum can't believe they're actually getting 6m for him and all reckon he would be gone for zilch 

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I agree it's underwhelming, but heartbreaking? As in, you'll actually be broken-hearted if we sign him? :D

I think this signing (if it happens), like those of BDR and Skipp, shows just how scarred the club is by the 22/23 relegation. That season, we had the quality of a side that should be pushing for top 6-8. Unfortunately that was more than offset by our lack of character. It was one of the most mentally weak Leicester teams I've ever seen. We were so fragile we'd just collapse the moment anything went wrong. The common theme with BDR, Skipp and Ayew is that all of them are known as great team players who give everything for the cause. In a season when we'll frequently find ourselves under the cosh, those aren't bad players to have around.

Another factor may be what happened to Forest that season. They had a very decent home record but were by far the worst away team in the division. In other words, they were fine when they had a raucous home crowd behind them, but wimped out when the atmosphere wasn't in their favour. I'm sure Cooper is conscious that, given our likely points deduction, we'll need to be much better away from home than Forest were in 2022/23. Players like Ayew, whose primary attributes are his pressing and his ability to move the ball up the pitch and win fouls, are useful when you're playing away.

Of course, there is such a thing as overcompensation. You could argue, with some justification, that the acquisitions of Skipp and BDR were enough to give us what we need in terms of 'battling' players and that we now need to focus more on flair/quality. However I suspect we'll still bring in a couple of flair players too - but that will likely happen towards the end of the window when selling clubs become open to negotiation and the players themselves realise they're not going to get their dream move after all...

Well put. This echoes my thoughts too. Not exciting, but very useful to have off the bench when under the cosh.

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I agree it's underwhelming, but heartbreaking? As in, you'll actually be broken-hearted if we sign him? :D

I think this signing (if it happens), like those of BDR and Skipp, shows just how scarred the club is by the 22/23 relegation. That season, we had the quality of a side that should be pushing for top 6-8. Unfortunately that was more than offset by our lack of character. It was one of the most mentally weak Leicester teams I've ever seen. We were so fragile we'd just collapse the moment anything went wrong. The common theme with BDR, Skipp and Ayew is that all of them are known as great team players who give everything for the cause. In a season when we'll frequently find ourselves under the cosh, those aren't bad players to have around.

Another factor may be what happened to Forest that season. They had a very decent home record but were by far the worst away team in the division. In other words, they were fine when they had a raucous home crowd behind them, but wimped out when the atmosphere wasn't in their favour. I'm sure Cooper is conscious that, given our likely points deduction, we'll need to be much better away from home than Forest were in 2022/23. Players like Ayew, whose primary attributes are his pressing and his ability to move the ball up the pitch and win fouls, are useful when you're playing away.

Of course, there is such a thing as overcompensation. You could argue, with some justification, that the acquisitions of Skipp and BDR were enough to give us what we need in terms of 'battling' players and that we now need to focus more on flair/quality. However I suspect we'll still bring in a couple of flair players too - but that will likely happen towards the end of the window when selling clubs become open to negotiation and the players themselves realise they're not going to get their dream move after all...

I agreed with the above, that’s fair. 

Heartbreaking. I’m a sensitive guy and my heart breaks easily. 😂

Edited by DezFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

I want this to happen for few reasons.

1. The manager thinks he will suit are style of play and after watching the game v spurs you can sort of see why it would have been good to have someone help us get up the pitch and win some free kicks to relieve the pressure.

2. It will upset some of the most negative, moaning, whinging, posters on here and at this point I find the meltdowns quite amusing. 

3. Our armchair transfer experts seem to hate it and seeing as they thought tete was the 2nd coming of Christ and Winks was a terrible signing then this has a much higher chance of working out without their blessing!

Most don't mind him here....but 6m for a guy approaching 33 with one year left on his contract 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I really don't get this, some people's words need to be hung on or their word is gospel and always right! 

Whoever comments it's just 'their opinion' mate, nothing more nothing less! 

Love the craics, different  opinions and debate, personally I don't get some of the pedestal mentality.

Your irony meter must need a good shake.

whilst Ric is the most entertaining and popular poster on the forum,how can you take this comment as serious.

No @kingfox is the man for the job!

42 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

I think he would be a decent addition but if he is our only striker signing then we have a big problem.

He is NOT a striker.  He rarely scores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I really don't get this, some people's words need to be hung on or their word is gospel and always right! 

Whoever comments it's just 'their opinion' mate, nothing more nothing less! 

Love the craics, different  opinions and debate, personally I don't get some of the pedestal mentality.

How dare you

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Most don't mind him here....but 6m for a guy approaching 33 with one year left on his contract 🙄

I suspect the phrase 'including add-ons' is doing a lot of heavy-lifting in this transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DezFox said:

IMG_9715.png

Gathering pace….its happening and it’s heartbreaking! 3 year contract incoming and you just know it will be a pay rise and 6

mill plus 😂😂😂

Fee should include low salary plus goal bonus and refund from Palace if we get relegated. Then it may make a modicum of sense - all be it low.

• Like 1

I wonder what the collective club thinking is on this one at this moment.

I think there’s been some hope that we might have landed another target (probably Asprilla) over this transfer - otherwise we would surely have got this done early this week to allow for a couple of training sessions / chance to settle into the squad ahead of travelling to Fulham.

But Asprilla looks out of our reach now - so do we try and get this over the line before the registration deadline on Friday? 

I am sure there are some reservations on this transfer within the club, especially in giving a considerable fee to a direct rival - and that there will be voices advocating a further ‘wait and see’ approach whilst the situations for other targets resolve themselves in the final week of the window - namely, Reiss Nelson, possibly Zaha (I think Gala want him out to sign Depay - so he may get more of a push to resolve his situation next week).

I guess ultimately we’ll find out over the next few hours what the club is thinking - but my hope is we hold fire and continue to hold out for other targets in the knowledge that if this is a last resort signing, we should be able to conclude it quickly come deadline day.

46 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

About the equivalent of signing Cottee for half a million all those years ago. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

About the equivalent of signing Cottee for half a million all those years ago. 

A bit different...Tony Cottee had over a 100 top flight goals to his name when we signed him. 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

To be fair they’re the most reasonable reasons that we’re so heavily linked with him.

BUT and my only critique is that doesn’t seem to have any counter arguments such as his physical ability to run/get us up the pitch will vastly diminish at his age.

Nor does it acknowledge that we have lots of PL experience and the scary reality that our squad must be at all an time low for value/re-sale which means future PSR breaches will happen due to our lack of ability at shifting our squad players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s possible (unlikely) that we’ve offered him a salary of 35k and he’s currently on 60k 

so we’re paying palace 1.25m extra on the fee for them to pay him his missing salary for the year left on his contract 

I did think maybe we're trying to sell him the 3 year deal on 40k is worth a lot more than 10 months on 60k and we can see the free agent market is slow for experienced players. 

And from our perspective 6m over 3 years is a small hit to the squad amortisation. But then I always assume we have some grand masterplan and it often appears that we don't lol

This comment from Cooper in his press conference today suggests that a deal for Ayew is not imminent...

Close to signings?

“I think we’re close, but we’ve been closer than we feel today. We’re really keen to get deals over the line. If it doesn’t happen, we’ve got maximum belief in these guys. I think we will, but if we don’t we’ll get on with it and commit to reaching our objectives. We’ve got a week left. Anybody that comes in will be adding to a fantastic spirit and a group of players who really enjoy being at the football club.”