Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

Positives

Glasner picked him a lot back end of last season and he really knows what he’s doing.

He can easily play 3 or 4 different positions

He’s not going to throw his toys out the pram if he’s not a first choice

He will help press from the front and with any shithouse 3 points we have a chance of getting.

negatives 

no resale value, probably a bit too much up front too

Not someone who improves the first choice team itself

wont be cheap salary-wise

used money we could have channeled elsewhere for more exciting signings / players with higher ceilings. 

overall a bit meh but really depends who else we manage to get in. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Ed said:

Clearly he's not the fans choice, but we are clearly struggling to get our targets over the line with what we're offering. But the more I read the more I'm thinking actually yeah I think he'll do a job here. Hard working, pressing. Cottee was 32.

Cottee was one of the best finishers in England for a decent chunk of time prior to somehow ending up in Malaysia 

3 minutes ago, Soar Fox said:

Good job we weren’t that bothered about premier league experience back in 2015. 

We would never have signed Fuchs, Okazaki & Kante 

You refer to the wrong season - those transfers were made for our second season in the top flight.

Our first season back in the Prem, we certainly leaned on experience pro’s as we signed the likes of Albrighton, Upson, Simpson and Schwarzer - and of course Huth was signed on loan from January.

We also signed a certain legendary Argentinian… as well as Ulloa. 

1 minute ago, Cropwellfox said:

Positives

Glasner picked him a lot back end of last season and he really knows what he’s doing.

He can easily play 3 or 4 different positions

He’s not going to throw his toys out the pram if he’s not a first choice

He will help press from the front and with any shithouse 3 points we have a chance of getting.

negatives 

no resale value, probably a bit too much up front too

Not someone who improves the first choice team itself

wont be cheap salary-wise

used money we could have channeled elsewhere for more exciting signings / players with higher ceilings. 

overall a bit meh but really depends who else we manage to get in. 

Yeah in isolation it’s pony, if we are buffered with 2 more signings that surprise us and are decent then its not as bad. Better to go into the season with a bit of experience, hopefully its from the bench though.

I'm not particuarly happy about this. I don't think he's great and we are ridiculously over-paying BUT if it's this on top of two more attacking players (a striker and a winger) with maybe Mcateer, Cannon going on loan... I suppose it's fine. Depending on who the two players are ofcourse... I mean, if it went to plan and it was Hlozek,Zaha and Ayew... I'd be content so hopefully it's players of that kind. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

At the moment yes, but Percy has indicated we want two more in and one of those is likely to be a striker. 

I can see us spending another 30m, if that's on 5 years contracts it add 6m per annum to amortisation.

Which would leave it pretty healthy.

55 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

We have plenty of experience throughout the whole squad already though

Our starting 11 against Spurs had 993 premier league appearances between them all

That is without including other players in the squad like Ricardo and Coady who have another 345 Prem appearances between them

Then we have just signed Skipp who has another 77 games to add on to that as well

Do we really need anymore older experienced players?

I get it, it's not sexy.

I think as a squad option it's OK.

This will be one of the worst signings we’ve made in years. I dont think he will be a bad player but he will get a long high paid contract and if/when we go down it will cripple us.

We should not be spending any serious money at all on players with 0 resale value, not in our current predicament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ashbyj said:

Getting the same feelings as when we signed Ryan Bertrand, no idea why.

I don't think its that bad but he wont improve the starting 11, he will cover ground and look a direct threat but his assits / goals are not prolific by any means.

The more I think about this the more likely it becomes that we are lumbered with a 33 year old, not prolific, workmanlike player in the Championship on Premier League wages. 

Where is the future proofing in signings like this? What happens if we can’t survive this year? How are we meant to cut our cloth accordingly with players like this on the books. At the very least it could push us towards having to sell an actually saleable asset because I can’t envision teams queuing up to relieve us of Jordan Ayew from the wage bill should the worst happen. 

We’ve literally learned nothing. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Huth was 30, end up cost us 3m, Id' say is a comparable transfer. 

Stoke fans loved him and spoke highly, Palace fans speak them same about Ayew.

This summer we have brought in 2 x 23, 19, 18, 20 year olds and a 31 and 33.

People are acting like we have signed up dads army 

Not comparable, in my opinion.

Defenders generally can play up to about 35/36 and still be quite useful. £3m for him was fine. 

Ayew at up to £8m is just not comparable. How many years of good service are we likely to get out of him? 1? At a strong push, 2. Forwards/wingers usually dwindle after 31/32? Can't use Vardy in response as he's just a phenomenon lol

I've not got a problem with Ayew himself, my frustration is more at the club for the financial outlay on him when we're already up against it. 

1 minute ago, fox_favourite said:

Meh. That's the best way to describe this signing. 

Tete was all exciting and the best things slice bread how did that work out.

I think it's best to judge siging when they have actually played.

• Like 2

Just now, MGLCFC said:

Tell that to Vardy and Albrighton

I literally just said you can't use Vardy in response lol 

'usually' anyway. Not saying it's impossible for players to still flourish afterwards.

54 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

ayew clearly wanting the hat trick of relegations on his CV

might be experienced but being experienced doesnt mean hes up to cop for what we need

well if he’s good enough for Palace, then he is certainly what we need.

People need to let go of our league win and European campaigns. It’s giving people unrealistic ideas of the type of player we should try and sign.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I've not got a problem with Ayew himself, my frustration is more at the club for the financial outlay on him when we're already up against it. 

Up against what, our amortisation is around the same it was at the start of the last championship season even after our this season additions.

10 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You refer to the wrong season - those transfers were made for our second season in the top flight.

Our first season back in the Prem, we certainly leaned on experience pro’s as we signed the likes of Albrighton, Upson, Simpson and Schwarzer - and of course Huth was signed on loan from January.

We also signed a certain legendary Argentinian… as well as Ulloa. 

They all signed but hardly played. 

A legendary Argentinian & Ulloa, again 2 players who had zero premier league experience. Arguably our 2 best players that season.

Just now, StanSP said:

I literally just said you can't use Vardy in response lol 

'usually' anyway. Not saying it's impossible for players to still flourish afterwards.

Yes but it’s a rule just to suit your argument only, so….it rightfully goes in the bin tbh. lol

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Tete was all exciting and the best things slice bread how did that work out.

I think it's best to judge siging when they have actually played.

14 appearances for Tete and 1 goal - that's a strike rate about what Jordan Ayew manages in a "good" season lol