Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

24 minutes ago, Soar Fox said:

Good job we weren’t that bothered about premier league experience back in 2015. 

We would never have signed Fuchs, Okazaki & Kante 

Don't forget Huth, Simpson and Albrighton. 

• Like 1

Got no issue with this as long as it’s not to be a starter each week. My worry is that we won’t get the two other attackers (taken us 4 weeks to do this transfer) and he will start and he will slow up our quick counter attacks that we are probably going to need each match. The outlay for a 33 year old is mad too as likely be 3 year contract and we are trying to flog him in 2 years as he takes up wages in our squad. 

the main positive is that I would have much rather him coming on last Monday than soumare and likely allows cannon out on loan to get experience which he isn’t going to get here. 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Up against what, our amortisation is around the same it was at the start of the last championship season even after our this season additions.

Up against not being able to spend like other clubs and whack £30-40m on one player. So the alternative is to be shrewd with transfer fees, not to mention wages. Is Ayew going to come cheap on a 2-3 year contract? I very much doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes but it’s a rule just to suit your argument only, so….it rightfully goes in the bin tbh. lol

If anything it's just acknowledgement that I know he can be used in response to it. I agree Vardy is the perfect example. But for every Vardy, there's probably about 4 or 5 players (or more) that could be used as examples of players who did fall off a cliff...

6 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Exactly, so Ayew may be one of those players who continues to do ok. I'm not saying I'm a massive fan of this deal, but let's see if he makes a difference, before writing him off.

personally, I’d give my right arm for us to have an ‘ok’ season!

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If anything it's just acknowledgement that I know he can be used in response to it. I agree Vardy is the perfect example. But for every Vardy, there's probably about 4 or 5 players (or more) that could be used as examples of players who did fall off a cliff...

Yes, he is not alone was my thinking, a rare sort but not unique, maybe Perisic is a decent alternate late career productive attacker.

7 minutes ago, drew said:

My palace ST holder mate is genuinely gutted to see him leave

I work with a Palace ST holder as well and he is gutted as well. Reckons he’s a grafter who is difficult to shake off the ball, gets stuck in and wins loads of free kicks in dangerous attacking positions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soar Fox said:

We didn’t sign them in 2015 :thumbup:

Sorry, i'll ignore the Premiership experience they had and the contribution that they made to our premiership win. 

2 minutes ago, Soar Fox said:

They all signed but hardly played. 

A legendary Argentinian & Ulloa, again 2 players who had zero premier league experience. Arguably our 2 best players that season.

2 out of the 4 played regularly enough (Albrighton and Simpson) - and Huth arguably was the signing that helped turn the season around.

Obviously Esteban had plenty of experience behind him too, even if it wasn’t gained in the Premier League - and even Ulloa, at 28 when we signed him, had plenty of seasons of football behind him including two seasons in the Championship.

The point being - our signing strategy was largely centred towards seasoned pro’s.

The younger guys we signed that season - Tom Lawrence, Jack Barmby, Nick Powell and Andrej Kramaric, never worked out for us.

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

Sorry, i'll ignore the Premiership experience they had and the contribution that they made to our premiership win. 

No problem. N’golo Kante didn’t seem to need any premier league experience that season though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parker Pen said:

I work with a Palace ST holder as well and he is gutted as well. Reckons he’s a grafter who is difficult to shake off the ball, gets stuck in and wins loads of free kicks in dangerous attacking positions. 

Did u see the state of winksy’s free kicks pre-season and Monday?😬

4 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

2 out of the 4 played regularly enough (Albrighton and Simpson) - and Huth arguably was the signing that helped turn the season around.

Obviously Esteban had plenty of experience behind him too, even if it wasn’t gained in the Premier League - and even Ulloa, at 28 when we signed him, had plenty of seasons of football behind him including two seasons in the Championship.

The point being - our signing strategy was largely centred towards seasoned pro’s.

The younger guys we signed that season - Tom Lawrence, Jack Barmby, Nick Powell and Andrej Kramaric, never worked out for us.

Esteban probably the only one in the same age range when signed, but he had a really good history.

8 minutes ago, Parker Pen said:

wins loads of free kicks in dangerous attacking positions.

So we're half way there, free kicks in good positions - unfortunately there is no one who can take set pieces well.