Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Doesn't replace any of our wingers. We have Mavididi, BDCR and Fatawu that are probably Premier League standard. This probably allows us to let Alves and McAteer get 30+ games for a Championship club.

For a club thats skint, sounds like he is a £5m luxury

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Tanner in the Athletic a couple of weeks ago.

Since then we have spent between 20 and 30m which probably give you an idea of what he's know.

I expect us to spend 20-30m more.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Nope, but there's absolutely no way that he's brought in because we think he's going to add goals to our side.

His ability off the ball and to retain the ball is why we've got him.

You're in for a shock.

Ayew loses the ball as much as any other winger/striker in the league. That's not a strength of his.

1 hour ago, enmac said:

Wow….

10/10 for the mix music…. I remember getting a Gilles Peterson mix CD with Darondo on it 25 years ago…. That is such a proper tune

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Based on?

Based on even with our incoming this season our amortisation for transfer fees is no more than what it roughly was at the start of the championship.

We have decent enough head room, in that regard.

Edited by coolhandfox

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Based on even with our incoming this season our amortisation for transfer fees is no more than what it roughly was at the start of the championship.

We have decent enough head room, in that regard.

Well I hope you're right but I still wouldn't trust the board to spend it wisely.

Just now, Dr The Singh said:

For a club thats skint, sounds like he is a £5m luxury

I would argue that £5m on someone like the top scorer in the Latvian Premier League is a luxury yet it's the sort of signing that sets FoxesTalk's pulses racing.

£5m for guaranteed results in the Premier League sounds like a necessity to me. We know exactly what we'll get from a player like Ayew.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I would argue that £5m on someone like the top scorer in the Latvian Premier League is a luxury yet it's the sort of signing that sets FoxesTalk's pulses racing.

£5m for guaranteed results in the Premier League sounds like a necessity to me. We know exactly what we'll get from a player like Ayew.

What are you talk in about!? He’s absolutely shit. We need a winger to be creating goals and scoring goals. Ayew is so poor. It’s quite clear by the palace fans reaction that we’re over spending on a bang average player. 

• Like 2

Just now, frany104 said:

What are you talk in about!? He’s absolutely shit. We need a winger to be creating goals and scoring goals. Ayew is so poor. It’s quite clear by the palace fans reaction that we’re over spending on a bang average player. 

Palace fans are disappointed to be losing him.

There seems to be many posters

a) Writing Ayew off before he's even kicked a ball

b) Unaware that the initial fee is £5m, not £8m

c) Unaware of his likely role in the team

I'm not saying he'll be amazing, but at least make an opinion when you've watched him a dozen or so times in a Leicester shirt.

• Like 1

I think people will probably be surprised how well he’ll do here, bags of experience and he’s better than Daka. Not my choice I’d like to see Cannon play but it’s looking like that wont happen. 8m is a bit steep though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

There seems to be many posters

a) Writing Ayew off before he's even kicked a ball

b) Unaware that the initial fee is £5m, not £8m

c) Unaware of his likely role in the team

I'm not saying he'll be amazing, but at least make an opinion when you've watched him a dozen or so times in a Leicester shirt.

Take your absurd comments and be gone.

Lol

• Haha 1

As others have said, absolutely no drama if he comes in alongside someone actually decent. Right now we’re huffing and puffing over one of the statistically worst strikers this league has ever seen… so does that bode well to go and get a young and exciting goal machine? Probably not 

2 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Those that even remotely think he will be a decent signing for a centre-forward, need to give their heads a serious wobble (my opinion of course).

Ayew has played 14,641 minutes for Palace. Sounds impressive right? Not for a return of 23 goals, one of those being against Grimsby Town in the FA Cup Third Round in 2019.

One goal every 636 minutes are honking statistics for a centre-forward/winger that has been in the Premier League. Palace have never been one for scoring frequently and thrashing opponents, and with the likes of Ayew leading the front line, it's not hard to see why. And let's face it, £5m plus addons, in this day and age, is a low transfer fee for a Premier League player. Though at the age of 32, he is essentially past his peak, if he ever had one.

Call me uneducated, misinformed, dismissive, let your keyboard egos run wild and insult me, I don't care. If this is the best we can sign in this window then we may as well have just kept Iheanacho, and thrown on an injured Daka onto the pitch, they would be just as effective. Poor Vardy may well be getting more minutes than I thought at this rate.

I don't suppose Danny Simpson was the most inspiring transfer, but he was bought in to do a job and he did it effectively. It all depends what job Ayew is being asked to do. If it's a goal scorer then it's a poor decision, however I think it'll be like Shinji, hard working, effective at what he does and  provides the occasional goal and with some assists.

• Like 1

People moan that there hasn't been any thought or strategy to the recruitment but this is so obviously a strategic signing.

One of the first things Cooper did was hire Andy Hughes from Norwich. Hughes was set piece coach at Norwich and Norwich scored 18 goals from set peices last season. And jordan ayew is regularly the most fouled player in the premier league so it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realise that he hasn't been signed for his goal contributions!

I read someone else describe it as a moneyball signing and I think that's spot on. We aren't going to be able to compete talent for talent with at least 12 teams in this division so we are going to outwork them, try to hit them on the counter and win lots of free kicks and cash in on them and Im all for it! 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 2